NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2017, 09:56 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Default What do you do if you suspect eBay shilling

I just won a trio of cards from a seller. I am fine with the price I paid. After I won I noticed the the two runners up both bid on all 3 items. They are all 75 Topps minis so I guess you could have the same interests. Anyways one of the two has over 6k feedback and the other account has 0 feedback and listed as private. The zero fb one is more worrisome.

Again I'm fine with the price but this type of thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Would you just pay and forget about it or say something?

I realize shill bidding happens all the time on eBay but when it seems obvious it's concerning. There's also the chance it's not shilled and I'm being paranoid.

What would others do?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:10 AM
Jason Wells

I bid my top amount within the last minute. I try not to look at the underbidders as I too am paranoid about it. The zero feedback + private bidder status is the one that would worry me the most. Seems fishy. Why would a brand new account make there feedback private to start? Or even have the know how to do it as a new account?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default SAME OLD STORY same old answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
I just won a trio of cards from a seller. I am fine with the price I paid. After I won I noticed the the two runners up both bid on all 3 items. They are all 75 Topps minis so I guess you could have the same interests. Anyways one of the two has over 6k feedback and the other account has 0 feedback and listed as private. The zero fb one is more worrisome.

Again I'm fine with the price but this type of thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Would you just pay and forget about it or say something?

I realize shill bidding happens all the time on eBay but when it seems obvious it's concerning. There's also the chance it's not shilled and I'm being paranoid.

What would others do?
SAME OLD STORY same old answer
heard this many many times
simple solution know your product , know your price limitations
bid accordingly and most important
do not let your heart rule your head , then who cares who the under bidders were , not every thing on ebay can be got at a rock bottom bargain price , if you pay more then so be it .

Last edited by megalimey; 12-09-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:41 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalimey View Post
SAME OLD STORY same old answer
heard this many many times
simple solution know your product , know your price limitations
bid accordingly and most important
do not let your heart rule your head , then who cares who the under bidders were , not every thing on ebay can be got at a rock bottom bargain price , if you pay more then so be it .
agree..plus even if shilled etc....the guy is doing a hidden reserve..whatever number you happy with thats the number. The only issue i have is if someone bid retracts making you the high bidder
Old 12-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Steven

Cancel the transaction and remove the bad taste from your mouth. Every time you look at those cards this is what you'll remember and it wont bring a smile to your face. As I have gotten older, the transaction has become at least of not more important than the card. I cleansed my collection of all those cards, its just not worth it. Stuff doesn't trump all.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Bruce Mattioli

You state your fine with the price. I would just move on..
Old 12-09-2017, 04:20 PM
D0NN1E B

I feel like I always pay more than what I am able to sell the same item for , I think 90% of the sellers shill
Old 12-09-2017, 05:40 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It's a practice used to artificially and illegally raise prices. No excuses should be made for it.

Last edited by drcy; 12-09-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:41 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

I appreciate all the perspectives here. I did in fact only bid what I was comfortable with. The first two cards went for a few dollars less than I thought and the third a tad more. Since it was combined shipping I was fine paying a little extra. It wasn't about the total amount of the transaction as it was very small it's more the idea of it happening.

The idea of so many doing it really sucks but there are plenty of deals to be had. I know this type of post has been done before but I learned about this type of activity when I first joined. It seemed like a good opportunity to share what I saw today so maybe others become more conscious of this and bid based on what they are comfortable paying versus emotional.

I paid for the items and think I'll be happy when they arrive.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:46 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
It's a practice used to artificially and illegally raise prices. No excuses should be made for it.
The biggest problem is eBay doesn't care. I saw one seller who had 20-30 items that were being shilled by 3 different accounts. I sent them screen shots of all the evidence. The seller isn't a 100k feedback seller more like a 5k feedback seller and as far as I'm aware nothing was done. They still sell and I never got a response from eBay. As others stated before if you don't like it buy elsewhere. I just try to stay away from those that do it. In today's case I didn't realize it until the auctions were over.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Jerry Tate

Default Cards

As soon as you get the cards put them up on ebay and use the same guys to shill for you.......Jerry
Old 12-09-2017, 07:41 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

If you are holding your breath for Ebay to do something.........Times up, your dead.....
Old 12-10-2017, 06:54 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
but zero proof....(its really hard to prove)...thus anyone can back out of a future sale if they 'suspect' shilling..i can see that used as a fake excuse for people to back out of lots of legit auctions..

you can just stop buying ever again from that seller or from auctions that use any of the user bids with ids you dont like.....most auctions you never get to see the user ids..at least ebay you can......can also never bid when there are hidden ids on ebay as well..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-10-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:46 AM

Default 0 feedback

I hardly ever consider a 0 feedback bidder a shill bidder for the seller. I see them as someone trying to give the "shill bid" impression to drive away other bidders. As a seller on ebay for 17 years, I deal with it from time to time. Worst case for a seller is a 0 feedback bidder, that is also a bid retractor.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:08 AM
Paul S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
As I have gotten older, the transaction has become at least as if not more important than the card.
This is a fascinating insight. And I think is true for a lot of us.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
The biggest problem is eBay doesn't care. I saw one seller who had 20-30 items that were being shilled by 3 different accounts. I sent them screen shots of all the evidence. The seller isn't a 100k feedback seller more like a 5k feedback seller and as far as I'm aware nothing was done. They still sell and I never got a response from eBay. As others stated before if you don't like it buy elsewhere. I just try to stay away from those that do it. In today's case I didn't realize it until the auctions were over.
As a very informed authority who has looked at ebay happenings told me, just remember, Ebay doesn't make money preventing or stopping shilling.
To me, whenever a question in life seems so obvious, yet the answer doesn't make sense, it can usually be answered with this symbol, $$.