NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Jim VB

I wasn't personally involved, but there's a post over on the B/S/T where someone listed a pretty large list of cards for sale, got quite a few responses, and has seemingly disappeared.

On a different board, someone posted a pretty general want list. I gave him a general response and a quick email to gauge his interest. He responded with specific questions about quantities and quality of the cards. I quickly spent 2 hours pulling cards, listing on a spreadsheet, and creating scans. Haven't heard back from him in three days.

This is the second or third time I've seen this happen.

Whether you're a buyer or a seller, why waste time posting on a message board if you're not going to follow up?

I realize this won't change the situation, but I feel better already. Menwhile I'll spend the night refiling 150-160 cards.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Adam

Good topic.

Here is my B/S/T pet peeve -- unless you have a really long list of cards you are selling, POST SCANS OF THE CARDS along with your listing.

It is ridiculous for a person to not post scans of the cards they have for sale if there are, say, 5 or less cards that person is trying to sell as a result of that particular post.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Rob D.

Adam,

If we were in a bar right now, I'd buy you a beer.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Jimi

This one gets old:

You're selling something on the BST and someone e-mails you saying, "I'm interested, please send a scan." So, you quickly send a scan and wait......and wait....and wait.... until you finally have to e-mail the person asking if they are still waiting. Maybe they'll e-mail you back and say, "no thanks", and maybe they'll not respond at all. I've never understood why people simply can't reply right away and say, "Thanks anyway, but I'll pass." Or something else respectful that only takes a few seconds to type.

Jimi

Old 10-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

<<post scans of the cards>>

I agree, although I give special dispensation to those few Luddites who haven't figured out the "scanning thing."

Old 10-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Adam, I have never understood why people don't post scans with their BST listings. "Email me for scan"--wtf is that? Is the card like a $20 million house that only the most qualified of potential purchasers can view? Doesn't it take more effort to send out scans to a number of individuals than to just post the scan on the board?

Old 10-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

brother........it takes about 2 seconds to post on photobucket through the board and then EVERYONE can see the card. Sometimes I don't even want a card but like looking. If someone gets 5-6 emails how much of a pain can that be responding to all of them attaching the photo. But........same deal......if you post or send the photo, the person should have the decency to quickly let you know...........

Old 10-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Jimi

I for one have had issues in the past with scanning with my Mac. I have finally figured it out, but it is a little screwy to get the job done. Even so, if I am selling a large lot of cards, I doubt putting 50+ scans on the BST would work out. I completely agree though in regards to a handful of cards or less. Put the scans on the board unless you really don't know how to post them.

Jimi

Old 10-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Richard Cline - RC

I agree with the comments regarding communication and scans. It is just a common courtesy to reply when someone has taken the time to either send a list, scan, etc... or even a request for more information.

It doesn't take much time to put a scan on the board and, like others, I enjoy seeing some of the cards that I may never be able to purchase. Also, if a card happens to be a player from a particular team, in my case the Reds, then I am inclined to be more interested in possibly purchasing the card.

With that said, my experiences on the BST have been almost 100% positive in regard to the communication I have had.

RC

Old 10-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Rawn Hill

Never had a proble with b/s/t and still don't think there will be in the original case. As one of the first responders in the mentioned case, I understand life does throw curve balls to you that would buckle the knees. no $ has been exchanged, although I was thinking that being awake at 1 in the morning was a fortunate thing.

Rawn

Old 10-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Judging by the number of times sellers have thanked me for letting them know I'm passing on a card that I've requested scans of, there must be a heck of a lot of people who don't get back to sellers. Brutal.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: JimB

I absolutely agree with the folks above. POST A SCAN. Who buys a card without wanting to see a scan? You will have to do it anyway. The only reason I can think of is that the seller has something to hide, something he does not want to make publicly known. Not to name names, but it is usually the flippers that do not post scans. My suspicion is that they don't want the people they just bought from knowing they are flipping the cards. I think some people don't realize how transparent their activities are. On a related note, don't pretend to be a collector if in fact you are a dealer. There is nothing wrong with being a dealer, but be honest.
JimB

Old 10-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Jason

My peeve is when people type "loose" when they mean "lose"

Old 10-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

agreed... scans are good.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Jim, I hope it wan't me was that disappeared. I have tried to stay current wth everyone that responded to my large list. If I forgot someone let me know. If you are not talking about my list than disregard, you just got me a little nervous.
-Rhett

Old 10-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Well, if we're opening up this to pet peeves regarding the written word, I don't think Net54 has enough server space.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

That's a beauty of a suggestion, Rob.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Rhett,

Absolutely not you.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Jim, I see the BST thread you are speaking of. I just got concerned that I was unknowingly forgetting someone (or something along those lines).
-Rhett

Old 10-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: jdrum

No price listed.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Matt

Jeff - that's a tough one - what if someone wants to list a card for sale or trade, and would take different values depending on the route?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: barrysloate

I hate the term "small pinhole."

Aren't all pinholes small by definition? Otherwise, they would be gaping holes.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: jdrum

Matt,
Cash price = $XXX. Will consider reasonable trade offers for x,y,z.

Matt,
The comment was general in nature. I may be the only person of that opinion.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

jeff - fair enough.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Anthony S.

Barry,

That's why I use "tiny pinhole."

Old 10-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Bill Todd

If y'all are talking about the B/S/T list that I think you are, in the person's defense I'll put in that, within an hour today, I

1. Saw the list
2. Requested a scan
3. Received said scan
4. Made an offer
5. Had the offer accepted
6. Confirmed the deal and
7. Received payment information.

People don't hang by their machines all day (even those of us who seem to do so while at work).

Bill

Old 10-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Bill,

I suspect we're talking about different threads on the B/S/T.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Rawn Hill

Not the same thread.

Rawn

Old 10-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Pet Peeve - Making a new post in a thread to say "SOLD" thereby bumping a post with nothing left to sell to the top, and all the others that still are of interest down to the bottom. If nothing is left to sell, just edit the original title and add the word "SOLD."

Old 10-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Jantz

I have to agree with alot of you.

If you are trying to sell it....scan it.

This may sound pushy, but if you want someone's money you got to be willing to show them the goods.

Jantz

Old 10-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Joe D.

Matt -

I agree completely.

Please don't bump your BST listing to announce the item is sold.
Just edit the listing.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Note to sellers who don't post scans, or at least link to websites where scans live:

If you don't post a scan in your listing, I automatically assume the card is overgraded and you don't want me to see it. Thus, if a scan doesn't accompany your listing, I don't bother emailing about it unless it's something I really, really need. I would say that I email a seller and ask for scans in about 5% of BST listings that don't have them.

-Al

Old 10-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

9 a.m. Monday -- First post, asking price: $475

5:15 p.m. Tuesday -- Bump for price reduction, new price: $450

11:20 a.m. Wednesday -- Bump for price reduction, new price: $425

9 p.m. Thursday -- Bump before eBay, new price: $400

Selling price in three recent transactions for a card in similar condition: $200, $175, $215

Old 10-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

I can understand the frustration in not seeing a scan posted with an ad, but don't forget some of the reasons why sending the scan in email format can be better (IMHO):

--There is risk of somebody stealing your scan and using it in a way that is either deceitful or just plain confusing, as is evidenced by that signed Mantle card thread not long ago

--As most are aware, I deal mainly in rare vintage autographs. Personally, I do not wish to dole out free exemplars to whoever happens to utilize this forum. It goes without saying that most folks here are good-intentioned people, but there are bad apples out there who I really wouldn't want to have access to certain scans. I have taken a bit of flack over my feelings on this matter, but my position will never be swayed. I'm not as leery about posting scans of Ruths, Cobbs, Mantles, etc., seeing as there are countless good and bad scans already out there, but my first point again comes into play in this case.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Yeah, but Rob, I count three price reductions! My eyeballs have rolled back into my head in excitement over three price reductions! I am helpless to check out VCP!

Old 10-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Zinn

Buyers who do not acknowledge receipt of a card. Why is so hard to sit down and bang out a simple "Thanks I got the card" email?

Old 10-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Bob

No scan PLUS "make an offer." I know I for one skip immediately to the next offering.
I don't buy that "I am afraid someone will steal my scan" b.s. If you are too lazy to post a scan, contact Leon or almost any Net 54er and they will help you do it. If you've got a card selling for over $100 it is not enough to simply list a slabbed grade because the grading companies are all over the place on lower and midgrade cards.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

It's not a question of inability or laziness, nor is it b.s. I do agree that scans are required and imperative when selling on eBay. In email sales and on the B/S/T (and even on my own website), I rarely post scans. I will send them to serious customers, however, in a private email. I do, however, agree wtih your feelings on "make an offer".

Edited to add: Perhaps my feelings on this subject are more restricted to the autograph side of the hobby, especially the type of material I sell. Other dealers who sell similar material could appear to be on the same page as me when you compare their non-eBay selling methods. Not everyone, but most.

Edited again to say to Bob that I actually see what you're saying when the item in question is a card or other unsigned memorabilia. In that case, you have a point.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Bill Kasel

Pet Peeves:

1. No scans, or no simple link to a site with the scans.

2. No clear price defined (I hate...give me your best offer)

3. People who say Periph-eal, instead of Peripheral

4. People who say a point is mute, instead of moot.

5. Election years

6. Not yet owning a 1911 Zeenut Halla (I suck)

Bill Kasel

Old 10-28-2008, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: boxingcardman

1. That toilet paper in public restrooms on the big reel without perforations...

2. Cops who don't let you slow down to see traffic accidents...

3. Non-collectors whose only interest is "what's it worth?"

4. Auctions that describe the item as "rare" or "ultrarare" and start at $0.99...

5. Scans that show the entire scanner bed for a single T card...what am I, on an Easter egg hunt?

6. People who write "L@@K" in their auction titles...

7. Qualifiers on slabs...

8. Idiots who piss through the seat instead of lifting it...

9. Sellers who insist on an email contact even when I paypal the money...I'm not trying to date you, just buy a damn card...

10. Mixing body fluids and bank accounts...Of course, being married, the two are mutually exclusive...

Bob: "No scan PLUS "make an offer.""; I usually respond to that "OK, go **** yourself."

Thanks, you've been a great crowd. Enjoy Foghat...

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 10-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Easter egg hunt! LMAO!

I HATE that "L@@K!" !!! That might be the most annoying thing ever. Didn't somebody on the board recently try to claim bragging rights as the originator of "L@@K!"? They should not be bragging. They should get life in prison.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Adam, you do seem to be spending a disproportionate amount of time in public restrooms; are you hoping to meet George Michael? I think there are easier ways.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Yes, never give up in your quest. Ya gotta have faith!

Choose Life!

Old 10-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

<<They should get life in prison.>>

Anybody ever tell you that you're starting to sound like Dorskind?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Hey! It's not like I wished him dead or anything!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: leon

My list of pet peeves.

1. Board members that ONLY chime in negatively.
2. Board members who say Net54 sucks but still post here (why?....just freakin' go away)
3. BST offers to make an offer......
4. People that don't own cards they are selling....
5. Getting pulled into situations that are a no-win.
6. Not being able to retire on the banner ads....
7. People who are so uptight they can't laugh at themselves.
8. People who have never made a mistake (in their own mind only)
9. Everyone that doesn't agree with me
10. People who criticize with no solution in mind or offered.
11. People who have no scans on BST and/or no back scan (they are important too)
12. People who bitch about auction companies but aren't even registered with them (just shut the hell up)

That's about it for now...but I am sure I will think of more....

Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: J Levine

ALL CAPS and the royal "we."

Joshua

Old 10-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Posted By: Anthony S.

Women who get into their parked car in a tough parking neighborhood and, as you wait in your car for them to leave, decide this the perfect opportunity to methodically re-do their makeup in the rear view mirror....um...on the BST.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Just because they have self-checkout lanes at the grocery store doesn't mean you have to use them. Especially if you have no idea how that "scanning thing" works. And especially especially if you have two carts of items.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Default Pet Peeves

Rob - my wife and I have learned to use the demographics of the store to decide when it is prudent for us to use the "self checkout" line. If I lived in Palm Springs, FL, I'd never use it.