NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Dan Bretta

Default Cy Young Auto...Legit?

Posting these photos for a local friend who picked this up at the KC Show last week. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130219_214246 (2).jpg (51.7 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130219_214403 (2).jpg (42.3 KB, 369 views)
Old 02-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Brendan Mullen

Why would he use his last name when writing to his mother? I'm by no means an expert though. I personally wouldn't buy it.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Why would he use his last name when writing to his mother? I'm by no means an expert though. I personally wouldn't buy it.
Walter is his mother?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott garner View Post
walter is his mother?
lolololol
Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Belltown Vintage

Wow. For a minute there I thought I owned a worthless 'Mother Johnson' autograph!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Too funny
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Brendan Mullen

I thought it said "Dear MOTHER"!!. HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I'm no expert, but I would pass....I don't like the "Y" in either
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Does it say at all when it was signed...Of course date is a big factor, but below is my Cy that was purchased from Jim Stinson....The "Y" are very different in my opinion...

Hope this helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (72.5 KB, 316 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 02-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Scott

Ive seen a straighter Y like Mr. Bretta's example before that I think was good. Hard to say. Rest of it looks pretty good IMO.

We need Mr. Stinson and Mr. Simon
Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 PM

Default JimStinson

It looks like its postmarked 1913 , Is that correct ? If so the signature is going to vary (somewhat) from what most of us are used to seeing. Is it possible to see the entire item ? Or is it just 1/2 of a postcard ?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 PM

Default JimStinson

Here is the name WALTER in Cy Young's hand written in 1935. Compare it to the Walter not mother..... On the postcard.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Alex

The letter "r" in Walter is different in your friend's photo than in the exemplar.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
It looks like its postmarked 1913 , Is that correct ? If so the signature is going to vary (somewhat) from what most of us are used to seeing. Is it possible to see the entire item ? Or is it just 1/2 of a postcard ?

Yes, postmarked sept 25, 1913 in Dayton Ohio. And that seems to be over the pencil of the message.

from the placement of the cancel it looks like the message was written sideways on the postcard.

It would be interesting to see it out of the frame if the rest of the postcard is there.

Young managed a Federal league team in Cleveland in 1913 but it looks like the season ended around September 13th.

Steve B
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Dan Bretta

I told him to take the postcard out of the frame, but he was hesitant to do that...it's elaborately framed with a photo of Young above this postcard. I would like to know what is on the other half and other side of that card. I won't see him again until next Tuesday at the local auction, but I'll try and convince him to "deframe" that.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 PM
qu@n nguy3n

he should take it out of the frame. if it's glued down try to use a hair dryer.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Does it say at all when it was signed...Of course date is a big factor, but below is my Cy that was purchased from Jim Stinson....The "Y" are very different in my opinion...

Hope this helps...
James,

I remember when Jim offered this Cy Young signed postcard.
I'm envious as that's one terrific piece that I would love to own.

As stated by other posters, Cy definately signed earlier in his career with the straight "y" and "g" at the bottom. I'm not certain that the original posters' example is real, but just noting that different variations of Cy's sig definately exists. Seeing the entire postcard and examining it up close out of the frame would be important to me as well, FWIW...
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
James,

I remember when Jim offered this Cy Young signed postcard.
I'm envious as that's one terrific piece that I would love to own.

As stated by other posters, Cy definately signed earlier in his career with the straight "y" and "g" at the bottom. I'm not certain that the original posters' example is real, but just noting that different variations of Cy's sig definately exists....
Well Yes and No , the interesting thing is that on his VERY early signatures , Actually BEFORE 1913 , most notably one of his player contracts there is a very pronounced circle loop to finish the "g" in Young. Then later on even in the 1930's I see the straight vertical version and after that alternate versions of both the loop and the straight vertical drop in both the "y" in Cy and the "g" in Young.

Interesting sidenote after Cy Young's wife died he moved in to live with a neighboring family that was no relation. They had a young daughter named Ruth , She was still alive 20 + years ago as I spoke to her on the phone. She remembered Cy and looked at him almost like her own grandfather. She told me that as he got older any letters that needed to be written for him would be written by her or her mother and then signed by him.
I've seen some of those and they are clearly in a different feminine hand. But what she didn't admit too but I firmly believe is that toward the very, very end either her or her mother or both were responding to autograph requests and signing for him too. The "good news" is that those don't look anything like either of the authentic versions of his signature so they are easy to spot
Old 02-21-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Well Yes and No , the interesting thing is that on his VERY early signatures , Actually BEFORE 1913 , most notably one of his player contracts there is a very pronounced circle loop to finish the "g" in Young. Then later on even in the 1930's I see the straight vertical version and after that alternate versions of both the loop and the straight vertical drop in both the "y" in Cy and the "g" in Young.

Interesting sidenote after Cy Young's wife died he moved in to live with a neighboring family that was no relation. They had a young daughter named Ruth , She was still alive 20 + years ago as I spoke to her on the phone. She remembered Cy and looked at him almost like her own grandfather. She told me that as he got older any letters that needed to be written for him would be written by her or her mother and then signed by him.
I've seen some of those and they are clearly in a different feminine hand. But what she didn't admit too but I firmly believe is that toward the very, very end either her or her mother or both were responding to autograph requests and signing for him too. The "good news" is that those don't look anything like either of the authentic versions of his signature so they are easy to spot
Old 02-21-2013, 08:09 AM

Default JimStinson

I'm guessing but it looks like based on the scan that the postcard was cut in half as there appears to be hinges upper right corner and lower left corner. If it was indeed cut in half I would wonder why as the other half would have been the address portion.

With regards to the signature of Cy Young I mentioned in an earlier post here it is, If the date is correct this would have been signed about 6 years prior. Big difference.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 AM

Thanks Jim! That's very helpful!
BTW, I haven't ever seen that version of his signature. It does seem like the "oun" in his sig from his last name Young stayed pretty consistent throughot his life from 1907 until he passed away. Just an observation...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 02-21-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Dan Bretta

My friend listed it yesterday...there are pics of the front and back of the postcard.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cy-Young-Aut...item3f228eb2d4
Old 02-26-2013, 02:44 PM
qu@n nguy3n

no return? there's the ebay buyer's protection but for an item like this you'd like more than a 45 day window
Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Dan Bretta

I know the guy, he'll refund your money if it turns out bad...the dealer that sold it to him also gave him a money back guarantee.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Richard Simon

Why say in an ad that he has not yet sent it in to get authenticated?
If he wants to get it authenticated why not send it in, get it authenticated, and then put it up for sale?
I am going to take a survey of dentists and I am sure that 4 out of 5 dentists surveyed will agree with what I have said.
If they are willing to have me post their names I will post them, hope that will satisfy all.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-26-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Why say in an ad that he has not yet sent it in to get authenticated?
If he wants to get it authenticated why not send it in, get it authenticated, and then put it up for sale?
I am going to take a survey of dentists and I am sure that 4 out of 5 dentists surveyed will agree with what I have said.
If they are willing to have me post their names I will post them, hope that will satisfy all.
No, Richard. It won't satisfy all.

Simple rule: No name? No post.