NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2002, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Default Rolling the dice-ebay style

Posted By: Bob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1580837743
The seller has a large number of T206s on ebay which look very nice, some a little too nice. Notice the 2 Blue Chases he is selling and how one looks suspiciously like a reprint and looks so different from the other. Both Sweet Caps. Hmmmmmm...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1580330244
I emailed him about his no-money back under any circumstances disclaimer and asked him about the possibility that some of these cards could be reproductions (some look verrrry glossy and the type looks wrong on some) and he said, sorry, all sales are final, they might be repros, they
might not be. Ya takes your chances.

Old 11-09-2002, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Bob
I bought 6 T206's from them last week. They are all sweet caps and they are legit. I should have the cards by Wed and will report on the grading. I've been buying ungraded T206's for 25 of my 34 years with little or no problem, unfortunately a few crooks (PRO GRADING) make everybody paranoid. later brian

Old 11-09-2002, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

"All sales final. No refunds, exchanges, warranties or guarantees of any kind. Everything sold "As Is / Where Is". We are NOT experts in this category!"

If you are admittedly not an expert, then you should not expect an expert to buy something based entirely on a scan, with no refund under any circumstances. it may not be a scam, but it has several of the characteristics.

Old 11-09-2002, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Hi Scott
So only experts can sell cards now? They don't take returns on anything they sell, as long as it's in writing it's ok with me. I don't agree with the policy , but alot of antique dealers use it, not just scamers. In a perfect world all dealers would be experts and treat their customers fairly, but most of us know differntly. later brian

Old 11-09-2002, 04:02 PM
Administrator

re-read my post and take a chill pill.

Old 11-09-2002, 04:07 PM
Administrator

the main problem I have with it is that we are buying cards based on scans, so this "absolutely no refunds" policy is a crock. I buy based on scans all the time, regardless of how much I think the seller knows about cards; however, if they have disclaimers like this guy does, I don't touch it. But you're right in that it is of course the seller's perogative (sp?) to create their own policies, and mine to deny them business.

An antique dealer (assuming you're talking about an ebayer) will have a lot harder time scamming you with a scan than will a card seller. I could make a scan of a t206, print it, then scan my print-out and put it on ebay - you wouldn't know the difference. Remember the recent Delong seller?

Old 11-09-2002, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Hi Scott
I'm drinking a beer, surfing Ebay, the definition of chill. I didn't take offense to your post, I just think everyone has been on the warpath lately for anything that looks the least bit suspicious. All I'm saying is that I don't mind bidding on an auction where I know the terms, If I get burned it's my own fault.
I have alot of cold ones on ice, so if you run out LMK I'll be online all night. later brian

PS I played Golf today, and I'm playing in the morning at 9:00 , the weather's awesome.

Old 11-09-2002, 04:23 PM
Administrator

I agree with you Scott, But I know where this sellers shop is, I've been there before and trust the merchandise. I better shutup so I don't have any more bidders trying to snipe me on the remaining cards. slurrp brian

Old 11-09-2002, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...here comes Christy again, with his damm 2 cents.

OK OK. Brian, a lot of this depends on what kind of beer you're drinking. If it's Hamms or Coors Light or something like that, then, well, your stock is going down, Bro.

I have to say that if someone doesn't stand behind what they sell and can't/won't guarantee it, I won't buy it or bid on it. I have personally been burned by those kinda sellers. [ Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. ~Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott, USS Enterprise. ]

That goes for anything, too, not just cards. I hate walking into Circuit City to buy a DVD Player and have one of the salespeople there tell me: "...and for another $200, I'll sell you a 3-year warranty!"

WTF is THAT all about? You mean to tell me that Sony (et al) wants ME to pay THEM an additional $200 to guarantee that THEIR product will f***ing work??? How in the hell did the consumers in this country get duped into this shat? How and when did we start agreeing to pay the manufacturer to guarantee to us that their damm products will work after we buy them??

I have never understood that concept..."yeah, let ME pay YOU so YOU will stand behind your product." LMFAO. Do I do it? Nope, I don't buy that crap unless they stand behind it. I finally bought a JVC with a 3-year warranty included in the price, which was a standard price like the others.

Cards? Same darn thing. Tell me what I'm buying from you. As long as you guarantee that what I'm being TOLD I'm buying is what I'm actually getting, and you'll guarantee that, I'll be a customer.

If not, well...forget it. I'll surf eBay while drinking Mac and Jacks Amber Ale (or a Starbucks Quad Mocha - it all depends on the time of day) and I'll trade with someone else!!!

Old 11-09-2002, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Hi Dan
Actually I'm drinking Tennants Lager, and thinking about my upcoming trip to Scotland to play golf for 12 days in August. Funny you should mention consumer electronics, I'm part owner of a large Electronic repair buisness who does work for all major retailers and service contract providers. Most manufacturers warranty their products for one year, and allow retailers to sell extended warranties to cover the next 3-5 year. Margins are so tight on electronics, you have to sell warranties to make any money.
Sorry I got off cards, but your example happen to fall within my expertise.
By the way, the great thing about America is choice, you and Scott choose not to buy from these folks, while I except there conditions and purchase.
As far as I can see everybody is happy.
slurrrpp Brian
PS I'm not old enough to drink coffee.

Old 11-09-2002, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

LMAO...

You need to move to Seattle, then, Brian.

Coffee drinking age in Seattle is < 1yo. Immediately post-weaning is recommended and actually encouraged. It's an odd law, but I heard Starbucks lobbied for it.

Old 11-09-2002, 05:04 PM
Administrator

It's like COKE in the South, from cradle to grave!
I get my caffiene from Diet Coke, we don't drink alot of warm drinks down here. later brian (:

Old 11-09-2002, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

have you ever tasted their iced caffe mocha with whipped cream? GOD, it's great...

Old 11-09-2002, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Cowan

Hey!

Our lobbyist got that law past based on Doctors results showing that Starbucks Lattes carry more nutritional value than Both mothers milk or formula! We are only doing our part to ensure the youth of Seattle get their daily allotted amounts of sugar, caffeine, and whole milk....anything else is simply rumor.

Remember we offer childrens sizes and sell cookies too.....how can that be bad?

Old 11-09-2002, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

had to be, NOT just organically grown, but grown by people who got at least miniomum wage for growing it.
Peet's already conforms; Starbucks SAYs (on the outside)you can have your choice of "Politically correct," or other coffee....but nobody inside has ever aasked me which i want. Oh, those mochas!

The measure was defeated, by the way.

Old 11-09-2002, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

You say you bought the cards and they are legit but you haven't received them yet? Are you just going by the scans, then? I hope you are right and they are o.k. because you are one of the good guys but I am still suspicious. SOME of them may be o.k., like the Blue Chase on the left in the link waaay above this but the right Blue Chase next to it looks phoney.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-09-2002, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Looks a lot like one of his (her?) Chases and I didn't even round the corners of dull the scan...

Old 11-09-2002, 10:46 PM
Administrator

<>

Old 11-10-2002, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Hi TBob
Thanks for the kind words and concern. Can I be 100% sure they are real? NO, but I have purchased items from these folks before without any problems.
You and I have both seen strange scans and pictures which distort what a card really looks like, I believe that is what has happened here. I'm not as concerned with a faded image as I am bad type setting, your reprint type setting is completely different from either Chase being sold. I hope I'm right, If not you guys will be the first to know. Thanks to everyone concerned. Be well brian