NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 01-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Jason Presley

Default 1985 Dominican League Stickers info?

Is anyone here familiar with the 1985 Dominican League Stickers set both Beckett and SCD include in their listings? The Standard Catalog had the most detail, but both volumes have the same, incomplete checklist. The SCD listing implies that their checklist was based on a copy of the album, and that they could only identify certain players (explaining all of the "UNKNOWN" entries). This implies that someone at Krause had at least copies of pages from an album to work from. SCD removed the listing from their later editions of the Standard Catalog (when they were pruning obscure oddball sets to make room for the latest stuff).

So far, the only image of a sticker from this set is the Cuqui Rojas which Mr. Lopez has on display at cubanball.com. I emailed Mr. Lopez, and he doesn't actually own any of them and received the image of the Rojas from someone else (presumably from an old auction listing).

After a few weeks of digging on the web, I've not turned up any more information, but did learn that Dominicans tend to call baseball cards "postalitas" rather than "tarjetas" or "estampas" as in Venezuela, Puerto Rico and Mexico. I was hoping to take a stab at filling in some of the gaps in the checklist, but cannot find any resources. Dominican auction sites just turn up MLB cards or soccer cards.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by DaClyde; 01-13-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 PM
Arthur R!ch

Have you tried contacting Ryan Christoff? If anyone knows anything it's probably him.

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Jason Presley

I have not. I drop him a line, thanks!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Rich Klein

Default Fyi

Jason:

I'm going from pure memory here, and no access to the Beckett DB from work but IIRC, we had a copy of the album and that is how we based our checklist. If you have any additions to said checklist for Beckett, please send them to BFleischer@Beckett.com.

As for COMC -- post in their 12.31 thread and find out who should be your point person to add check list information for.

Rich
Old 01-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Jason Presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Jason:

I'm going from pure memory here, and no access to the Beckett DB from work but IIRC, we had a copy of the album and that is how we based our checklist. If you have any additions to said checklist for Beckett, please send them to BFleischer@Beckett.com.

As for COMC -- post in their 12.31 thread and find out who should be your point person to add check list information for.

Rich
So when you were with Beckett, did they just have a massive treasure room of cards and sets and notes for building all those checklists? Any idea what happened to that stuff? Seems it would have made awesome contest material (or at the very least, eBay fodder). I sent Mr. Fleischer a bunch of information on other sets back in December and am waiting to see if anything comes of it before I send any more.

I posted several times to the COMC thread. I already know a contact or two, but I'm really hoping they'll work up something a little more formal than "just send us the information" and wait for something to happen.

Does anyone know what the fate of the overall Standard Catalog project is now? Is it being slowly abandoned? I would love to see COMC parnter with F+W Media and leverage each others assets (COMC's understanding of tech and F+W Media's content expertise...well maybe not the overall company so much as the people who actually assemble the books) to help the Standard Catalog stay relevant. An online Standard Catalog would be an awesome hobby resource.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Rich Klein

1st question was yes we did have a nice collection of type material (mostly what Dr. Beckett had accumulated) over the years. Even before I got to work at Beckett, Jim's motto always was a type and a checklist and he felt
good to go on adding sets to the data base. Eventually with the internet less purchasing was needed as we could find information on line about a lot of sets.

Keep sending Brian F. that material. However, there are only "x" people at Beckett and adding checklists takes a lot of time and effort. I see Brian occassionaly and I'll try to give him a nudge to work on your lists when next I talk to him.

I have actually written extensively about what I consider the strengths and weaknesses of the Standard Catalog and you can read my columns in Rich's Ramblings in Sports Collectors Daily to see my beliefs. Please note, anyone who has done traditional work on the Standard Catalog is no longer at F&W.

And for COMC == cataloguing is a big project, let them finish their reshuffling and let's see what the next step is. Please be patient with COMC.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 01-15-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Ben Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
Is anyone here familiar with the 1985 Dominican League Stickers set both Beckett and SCD include in their listings? The Standard Catalog had the most detail, but both volumes have the same, incomplete checklist. The SCD listing implies that their checklist was based on a copy of the album, and that they could only identify certain players (explaining all of the "UNKNOWN" entries). This implies that someone at Krause had at least copies of pages from an album to work from. SCD removed the listing from their later editions of the Standard Catalog (when they were pruning obscure oddball sets to make room for the latest stuff).

So far, the only image of a sticker from this set is the Cuqui Rojas which Mr. Lopez has on display at cubanball.com. I emailed Mr. Lopez, and he doesn't actually own any of them and received the image of the Rojas from someone else (presumably from an old auction listing).

After a few weeks of digging on the web, I've not turned up any more information, but did learn that Dominicans tend to call baseball cards "postalitas" rather than "tarjetas" or "estampas" as in Venezuela, Puerto Rico and Mexico. I was hoping to take a stab at filling in some of the gaps in the checklist, but cannot find any resources. Dominican auction sites just turn up MLB cards or soccer cards.

Any help would be appreciated!
Glad to see you posted this here. I would love to hear some more info on this set. Would at least like to see the Fred McGriff from this set eventually. Its the first card on my checklist I made from using Beckett and other sources. If anyone should know the whereabouts for a McGriff from this set please let me know as I am very interested in finding one.

Last edited by BenG76; 01-16-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Jason Presley

I'm having absolutely no luck tracking anything down on this set. Nothing I can turn up on Worthpoint, no references in Google Groups (aside from a want list mention or two for the McGriff). The hunt continues...
Old 05-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Ben Martin

Bumping this thread as I am still hoping more info on these will pop up.