NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2010, 12:15 PM

Default Tons of Newbie Questions.

Warning this will be long and full of stupid newbie questions. Even I advise you turn back now. First off Ive always enjoyed reading about the players and stories of the early years of baseball and Ive collected postwar cards on and off for 25 years since I was little, now Ive just broke into some prewar stuff and i have tons of questions so I firgued instead of making 20 threads Id just post them all here.

Just a little background that might make answering any questions easier. I will have no ryme or reason of what I will collect, it will come down to just what I like and so forth. i dont see myself trying to complete any sets to anything like that. Also I will be on one of the smallest budgets on here. Im in the process of selling off most of my newer stuff and most of that will go into older cards but after that if I get to spend $100-$150 a month that will be a good month.

1. Interested in any other Web sites, Books, Magazines, catalogs, etc. Will be trying to soak up a lot of knowlege in the coming months and any fingers pointed in the right direction would be appreciated. Also I know there has been a website talked about on here that helps to show what to look for with fakes I just cant remeber the name of it.

2. I know Im never going to own a Young, Ruth, Cobb, Jackson etc. But what are if any sets or types that might have an affordable Rogers Hornsby, Mel Ott, Jimmie Foxx, Christy Matthewson in a lower grade.

3. I know fake PSA graded cards pop up but what about fake SGC holders? Also what is the most fake or reprinted sets? (33 and 34 Goudey?)

4. Who are 2 or 3 trust worthy sellers on Ebay that even if the cards they are selling are raw I dont have to think twice about them not being real? Also on the flip side who are a few that i should watch out for? (PM me on either count if you dont want ot throw the names out in the open).

This is enough for a while and should get me started. Anyone that made it this far, thanks.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:39 PM

welcome to the jungle.....

start with reading, you'll blow a months budget or so just on good reading....but that is money very well spent.

-you may have a standard catalog (scd) already, if not buy one.....buy an older one to save a few bucks.

-get Lew Lipset's encyclopedia of baseball cards. all three volumes are available in one book.

-get a complete run of VCBC, it pre-dates "old cardboard" and the content is fantastic. issue #7 sells for a small premium, but the rest of the run can be had for a reasonable amount of money.

-get a subscription to Old Cardboard, i believe they advertise on this board.

good luck with your collection.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Frank Wakefield

First, try to get a copy of Mr. Lipset's Encyclopedia of Baseball cards. Originally there were 3 volumes, #3 covered 20th century tobacco cards (that will have your T206 coverage). The reprint edition has all 3 volumes together.

Next, go here, http://www.oldcardboard.com/t/t206/I...al-edition.pdf and download this pdf, put it on a jump drive, then go get it printed. Read it, then a week or so later read it again.

Buy 2 or 3 real white border tobacco cards, T206s, from someone who will be certain to sell you a real one. Ted Zanidakis could sell you a real one, he has more than his share of 'em. Quickly glancing at the list of dealers under vintage links you'd be save with DavidBVintage, Wayne Varner, Jay Wolt, Mike Wheat, Frank Ward, Kit Young's company, those folks would sell you a real card at a reasonable price. Once you have a few in hand it will be easier for you to ascertain authenticity, detect trimming, and stuff like that.

Patience and persistence are helpful attributes. If you buy 4 or 5 cards a month it will take you close to a decade to close in on the set. If you buy slow and set a few dollars aside, you can use the "setaside" to go after a lot on eBay or in an auction where several cards are offered in one lot.

Wish you well with it.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:46 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

It's possible to get a Young, Ruth, or Cobb in lower grade for ~$300. So if you save up for 2-3 months, you can probably get it. Jacksons are tougher, however, because he's available in a lot fewer sets. For example, I recently picked up a 1935 Goudey Ruth in PSA 3.5 for $362. Strip cards or cards from specialty sets can be even cheaper. I got a Ruth in 1934 Goudey 309-1 Premium for $139 that graded to SGC 20/1.5.

Ruth's are faked a lot, practically in all sets, but especially in 1933 Goudeys. Beware of the ebay sellers who say the card looks real (and doesn't say reprint on it), and they've had it for 20 years or got it from their grandparents, but they're selling it as a reprint just in case. Don't believe their story; it's a reprint or fake. Beware of ebay sellers that don't have much feedback or don't have much seller feedback, or haven't sold much in a long time. As they say, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Barry Arnold

Default newbie

welcome aboard!
you seem pretty practical about knowing what you can have and can't have, how much money you can spend and can't.
these attributes will keep you on the journey without burning out too quickly---sadly, i've seen too many great folks with great eagerness burn out over the years.
the advice you've been given already is superb. i do not miss a day enjoying my Lipset. i do take a look at Lemke's SCD vols. most every week. And as you truly love these things, you'll want an ACC by Burdick by your side simply because he is the Doktorvater of all things cardboard.

all the best,
barry
Old 08-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Dustan Hedlin

You are spot on with wanting a variety of reading materials. Get catalogs from auction houses whenever you can; they make for great reading material. Some auction houses send free catalogs if you sign up, and some if you place bids.

Be patient and you never know...you might happen upon a Cobb, Wagner, Ruth etc. I've been working on the T206 set for about 3 years now, but I haven't gotten a new one in a few months. It'll come together in time, and I am in no rush. I've been able to pick up some nice deals on HOF'ers in the set that I though I would have to wait to buy. You'll be surprised what you can get for your $100-$150 monthly budget.

Just sit back and enjoy it...I would also suggest buying a few cheap raw cards just to get a feel for them. The more familiar you are with them, the easier it will be for you to spot fakes.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:15 PM
M@rk Lu7z

I concur about reading all the essential texts listed above. I'm glad that you have read about pre war baseball. Knowing the players makes all the difference to me. For anyone who isn't familiar with that era, start with The Glory of Their Times and read everything else after.

Affordability? There are some wonderful players/ cards from t206 that can be had for a reasonable price in a low grade. It also seems to me that the Goudey and Diamond Star sets from the 30's are relatively affordable, especially in low grade. They have great names and a great look, and I don't think they are as common as dirt, either. You might look into w573's and w575's. Not easy to complete but available and apparently unwanted.

Last edited by Mark; 08-21-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:01 PM

Thanks for all the info. Where the best place to get some of these used books and encyclopedias at. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Frank Wakefield

Mr. Lipset's Encyclopedia is occasionally found on eBay, or at ABEBOOKS, or Alibris. The Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards, by Lew Lipset. Vol 1 is 19th century cards, 2 is gum and candy cards, 3 is 20th century tobacco. There's a reprint that has all 3 combined.

Get that, and a copy of The Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, read Scot Reader's work a couple of times... If you were going skydiving would you just want to strap something on and jump out of the plane, or would you like to figure out how it supposed to go down, first? Read this stuff.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 08-23-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Dan Studebaker

I would use the search function here and read about whatever issues might interest you. You can see plenty of different issues in the pickups thread. If you are interested in T206s then Scot Reader's book would be a great read. If you are interested in other sets just search on them on this site and you can find plenty of information.

As for references, The Old Judge book is the best piece on baseball cards I have. Another good one is the Sotheby's auction catalog of the Barry Halper collection.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Matt Wieder

One other tip - go to the web sites of the auction houses that publish free catalogs (Goodwin, REA, Legacy, Legendary, Mile High, Memory Lane) and sign up to get the catalogs. You'll learn a fair amount about the issues being sold from reading through the listings.

I'd suggest not getting in too deep in a particular issue right away, but instead investigate several issues; almost like taking an intro level survey course in college before you chose what you want to major in.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:42 AM

Timber, your situation seems almost identical to mine as I've enjoyed getting into vintage these past few months. Good luck in your endeavors
http://s241.photobucket.com/home/woundedduck/allalbums