NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 10-12-2016, 07:55 PM
D@le Irv*n

Default Auston Matthews!

4 goals in his NHL debut! A NHL new record.

Kid is going to be a good one!

Leafs just lost in O.T. but it still can't take away what a night he had!

Last edited by irv; 10-13-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:04 PM

He had an advantage in that he grew up in Arizona so he could play year round
Old 10-12-2016, 11:32 PM

Not to take a thing away from Mathews, but technically speaking, not a record -- HOF'er Joe Malone, although long a star
in the NHL's pro predecessor, the NHA, potted five goals in his first NHL game, the very first NHL game ever (1917).
We'd bet there are other examples, given the tiny rosters and high level of scoring back then.
The NHL often thinks its history began when Bettman became league President.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 10-13-2016, 10:25 AM
Dave

....and if you saw the interviews at the end of the game, the kid blamed himself for the loss, because he blew his defensive assignment on the overtime goal, so he's got a good head on his shoulders to.

He almost looked embarrassed in the promotional pictures of him holding the four pucks, because his team lost the game.

Now if the Leafs could find somebody else to put the puck in the net.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:59 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Not to take a thing away from Mathews, but technically speaking, not a record -- HOF'er Joe Malone, although long a star
in the NHL's pro predecessor, the NHA, potted five goals in his first NHL game, the very first NHL game ever (1917).
We'd bet there are other examples, given the tiny rosters and high level of scoring back then.
The NHL often thinks its history began when Bettman became league President.
LOL. Glad it was before he came along, but yes, you're right, Matthew's 4 was the first in the modern era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
....and if you saw the interviews at the end of the game, the kid blamed himself for the loss, because he blew his defensive assignment on the overtime goal, so he's got a good head on his shoulders to.

He almost looked embarrassed in the promotional pictures of him holding the four pucks, because his team lost the game.

Now if the Leafs could find somebody else to put the puck in the net.
He is very mature, smart, and has a good head on his shoulders. Babcock says he acts more like a 27 yr old, not a 19 yr old.

Marner and Nylander, I thought looked really good last night too, especially Marner, but I see both turning out to be pretty good players too. They will just need a bit of time but I see these 3, plus Morgan Rielly really making a difference with the Leafs this year, at least I hope!
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ason-1.3802506

After the game, I searched E-Bay for Austen's RC only to find out it hasn't officially been released yet. I ended up purchasing some cards however just to have but these aren't official.
"2015 Auston Matthews Hot Shot Centres Teen USA Rookie Card RC" and a "Future Stars card" For a few bucks, I thought WTH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (76.4 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by irv; 10-13-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:27 AM
Neil

Talented young man, no question. Extremely quick on the puck, knows where to park in front of the net. My only word of advice to him which is hockey 101 would be play with your head up at all times, especially in cities like Philly.
The "Beard" awaits! Radko Gudas is a wanted man in more than half the NHL cities, a cheap shot back alley leg breaker who seems to have only one job with the Flyers, inflict fear into the hearts of talented fast skating forwards.
I know the NHL has changed quite a bit since the "old" days but this guy gets away with murder. He recently bug squashed the Rangers Jimmy Vesey and the consequences were minimal at best. Maple Leafs will be returned to their glory years in a few short seasons, there's way too much talent in the front office and behind the bench. IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2016, 07:41 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknock-2013 View Post
Talented young man, no question. Extremely quick on the puck, knows where to park in front of the net. My only word of advice to him which is hockey 101 would be play with your head up at all times, especially in cities like Philly.
The "Beard" awaits! Radko Gudas is a wanted man in more than half the NHL cities, a cheap shot back alley leg breaker who seems to have only one job with the Flyers, inflict fear into the hearts of talented fast skating forwards.
I know the NHL has changed quite a bit since the "old" days but this guy gets away with murder. He recently bug squashed the Rangers Jimmy Vesey and the consequences were minimal at best. Maple Leafs will be returned to their glory years in a few short seasons, there's way too much talent in the front office and behind the bench. IMHO.

I know of him and I agree, he is nothing but a cheap shot artist looking to take out top players in order to give his team a chance, just like the Broad street bullies back in the day! If they couldn't beat you with talent, they'd beat you physically into submission.

I wish Toronto had someone like Milan Lucic protecting Matthews, and especially Marner, due to his size, like he is doing in Edmonton for McDavid, but I assume that is what Matt Martin's role is for Toronto?

I don't know much about the guy, but I don't think he's Milan Lucic tough, but hopefully he has enough to make players like Gudas think twice about going after the Leafs star players?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGDuDdXz11M
Old 10-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Jeff

Matt Martin will protect Auston!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 10-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Neil

Bring back Colton Orr!! For as much as the league is trying to "clean up" the game talented players still need to be protected. Case in point Sid the Kid, too many head shots taken by an all-world talent. Because I'm a Ranger fan (masochist) I'll point to Jimmy Vesey, once the Rangers trade Dylan McIlrath, and they will because the coach has it in for him, Vesey will be fair game. Nobody on the Rangers to watch his back. Hockey is and always has been a game where intimidation matters. Every club needs a big boy to protect the play makers, just saying.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:45 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Bring back Colton Orr!! For as much as the league is trying to "clean up" the game talented players still need to be protected. Case in point Sid the Kid, too many head shots taken by an all-world talent. Because I'm a Ranger fan (masochist) I'll point to Jimmy Vesey, once the Rangers trade Dylan McIlrath, and they will because the coach has it in for him, Vesey will be fair game. Nobody on the Rangers to watch his back. Hockey is and always has been a game where intimidation matters. Every club needs a big boy to protect the play makers, just saying.

I couldn't agree more!

Marner with his first NHL goal tonight! This kid is also going to put up big numbers once he gets use to things, and of course keeps his head up and has someone watching his back also.

Finally, something to get excited about being a Leafs fan!
Old 10-15-2016, 06:20 PM
Neil

Streaming the Leafs game on Kodi and watching Rangers-Blues on tv. My neck hurts

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2016, 08:44 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Streaming the Leafs game on Kodi and watching Rangers-Blues on tv. My neck hurts

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Great win for the Leafs. Glad to see Marner get the first one out of the way!

I know it's way early, but I like what I am seeing this year so far with the leafs!