NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Jake Dahl

Default my vintage collecting

I never was a high end collector, I never really believed in re selling for profit and that is why most of my vintage cards are not in the best condition but if I have the chance at some I defentily pick them up. My mantle in my title is probelly a Authentic by grading standards but to me its gold, just like all mantles. I enjoy the vintage hobby and glad to be in it, and I believe its a very good hobby to be involved in becuase you get to see and own the cards our parents/grand parents/and great grand parents owned, and the players that came before the modern day guys that play today. Thae backs, colors, stats, information about the player is just awsome I love vintage and cant ever shy away from it.

Vintage Cards Rule
Old 12-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Joe

I feel the same way. I have been working on my Yankee collection for about a year now. It goes from 1970 and back. Hoping to comple them all one day (of all major released cards). Its expensive but fun. None of my cards are graded except for my Mantles and some of the T206 cards. The rest are all raw and that is how I want them.

Joe
Old 12-06-2010, 02:18 PM

It's a whole lot easier to look at your cards in binders rather than slabs and in top holders rather than slabs.

I fell into the trap (briefly) of trying to get the top registry set for Lou Brock, and then realized how dumb that was, and still have not registered the cards I have from PSA to see if I have it.

I'd rather be able to set them on the counter and look at them rather than worrying about scratching the PSA slab.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default non graded cards

I too have never sent a card in for slabbing or grading, I prefer to hold in my hand the cardboard. Im also a lesser condition collector, I get much more for my dollar by passing on the Musial with sharp corners..and going with the Felller and Musial with creases and corner wear.
I have tons and tons of extras avail for trade with cards from 30s thru 60s..if anybody is interested in trading similar

RalG
Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Arnie

I collect Yankees from tobacco cards thru current, and am strictly a collector, not an investor.

I buy cards in conditions i can afford, its WAY more important to me to have a card then not have it because i cant afford it in nice condition. A "fair" Mantle from the 1950's in my album is an awful lot nicer than no Mantle at all in my album.

Speaking of albums, all my cards are in albums. I buy a lot of vintage cards in slabs to verify authenticity, but then i remove them from the slab and into my albums they go.

Vintage Cards Rule - thats so true, for even though i collect new cards, its the vintage cards i love. Plus you know what, a vintage card with some creases and defects is just looking its age, to me its what a vintage card should be. A vintage card thats in perfect condition is great to look at, but sometimes it doesnt look like a vintage card. So enjoy your lessor condition old cards, i know i enjoy mine.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Erik

I to am not a high end, pristine condition collector NOT an investor and I hope one day to pass this collection on to a grandson if I have one.

I guess I understand the need for grading companies, but I personally will never purchase a graded card. The price becomes too inflated and it is not worth it to be several hundred dollars more for a graded card than a raw one, I just don't see the logic.

I am not keen on keeping my cards in albums though because the top row of each page keeps sticking out the top and it drives me nuts. My cards are in penny sleeves and then either in top loaders or the semi rigid Card Saver 1's.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Joe

I am so glad I am not the only one that feels like this
Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Erik

This is not a slam on those who purchase graded cards but if there is a day that comes when I am more concerned about getting a particular grade of a vintage card then I have lost sight of why I collect in the first place.

Vintage sports cards were never meant to be perfect, they were made to help sell bubble gum. Sure, I do like to collect at least EX-Mt cards but I won't sell my soul for that perfect card.

My fondest memories as a young boy in the 70's was opening up a wax pack of cards looking for players from my favorite team and yes, even enjoying the gum. Heck, I loved how the cards smelled because of the gum.

Never did I buy a pack and thinking "I wonder how much this card is worth?"

I collect for the love of it. It reminds me of a simpler way of life and times.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My rule on postwar mainstream (Leaf, Topps and Bowman especially) cards is to try and get them in presentable condition for extremely low prices because they are so abundant. I make a lot of lowball bids and win a few here and there, but when I do win the card is all the more fun because I know I didn't spend more than the price of a lunch on it. Of course, for a Mantle you're talking a very nice lunch...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Jake Dahl

I wish the leaders cards got more love, 2 or more HOFers on one card, just awsome.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Yankees View Post
I wish the leaders cards got more love, 2 or more HOFers on one card, just awsome.
I think those are neat cards but I like the ones that have at least a couple players who happen to be on the same team on them. For example, 1968 Topps ERA Leaders (I believe) had Gary Peters and Joel Horlen from the White Sox on it and in 1969 Topps has a leader card with Ron Santo and Billy Williams on it together.