NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 08-29-2018, 04:14 AM
Barry Sloate

Default Happy Birthday Charlie Parker

Today is Charlie Parker's 98th birthday. Okay, he only lived to 34, but it's worth remembering this great American original.

The story of Parker's last day on earth is part of jazz legend. On the evening of March 12, 1955, on a rainy night in New York, he knocked on the door of his dear friend and supporter, the Baroness de Koeningswater, telling her he felt ill. She saw how bad he looked, and said she would make him some tea and call a doctor. She emerged from the kitchen five minutes later with a pot of tea to find him dead on her couch.

He was a great genius and soaring talent who changed the face of modern music, but frittered away his life searching for dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJYO6_t4d08

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-29-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

Attached Images
File Type: jpg parker,c.jpg (44.5 KB, 107 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:01 AM
Barry Sloate

Nice card Peter...either it's out of focus or I need new glasses.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Nice card Peter...either it's out of focus or I need new glasses.
There is some print around the letters and elsewhere hat gives it that appearance, it looks better in hand. As this is the only one I have ever seen outside of David Halpen's website, it will have to do. 1958 Swedish Jazzbilder. No cards of him while he was alive as far as I know.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-29-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:42 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I didn't know there was any jazz fans on here - I marked Bird's B'day by playing a bunch of his 1940's sides with Dizzy Gillespie.

Barry, who else is in that Swedish set? I don't think I've ever seen those
Old 08-31-2018, 01:39 PM
Barry Sloate

Gary,
If you're referring to the youtube clip I included, that's Dick Hyman on piano, Sandy Block on bass, and Charlie Smith on drums. While Hyman was quite famous, the latter two were less so and may have played with Parker and Gillespie for that TV appearance only. And it's Earl Wilson giving them their Downbeat awards.

There are very few known film clips of Parker playing live. This one was discovered in the 1970's, and there is another one of Parker but without sound. And maybe one more. Footage of him is rare indeed.

Come to think of it, you meant to ask Peter about the Swedish set of cards? Not sure.

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-31-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:34 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Sorry about that, I meant the card.

I've seen that clip before, and I sure wish there were more out there, but it's the music that matters anyway. Parker's solo is really nice in that clip, and Dizzy is, well, as polished and on-spot as he always was.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:49 PM
Barry Sloate

Charlie was a little past his prime in 1951 and his health was starting to deteriorate, but he still could blow that horn.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Gary I have both Billie Holiday cards from the set, which to my knowledge are her only real cards. I can't remember if Louis is in it, I don't have that one if he is. The cards I have tend to scan a bit fuzzy but in hand they look ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holiday2.jpg (45.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg holiday1.jpg (76.2 KB, 80 views)

Old 08-31-2018, 06:29 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I don't have any Charlie Parker cards but I blow his horn (or one like it). And actually played Parker music on his birthday. Just ask my neighbors.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:52 PM
Barry Sloate

Do you play Klactoveesedstein Frank? And if you don't play it, can you even pronounce it?

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-31-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:24 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Peter- thanks for posting those Billie Holiday cards. I'm sure you are right that they are the only ones released while she was alive. Do you happen to have a checklist of the rest of the set? As a jazz fan, I got to say those are really neat.

Trade a James Moody and a Gerry Mulligan for a Chet Baker Metronome All-Star card and a Sonny Rollins rookie...
Old 08-31-2018, 09:11 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Do you play Klactoveesedstein Frank? And if you don't play it, can you even pronounce it?
That’s my nickname Barry.

Oops, wrong thread.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:09 AM
Barry Sloate

One of my favorite Bird songs to start the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wa7El-k3jQ
Old 09-01-2018, 07:08 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There is some print around the letters and elsewhere hat gives it that appearance, it looks better in hand. As this is the only one I have ever seen outside of David Halpen's website, it will have to do. 1958 Swedish Jazzbilder. No cards of him while he was alive as far as I know.
Would have been great if there were a Exhibit.

@Gary - Yes, many of us - anyway, a few handfuls - of cloistered jazz fans here. We hardly ever make an appearance in the "Been To Any Concerts Lately" thread. I try to get into NYC when I can to the jazz clubs...maybe those smaller venues aren't considered a "concert". I dunno.

BTW - I got a "thing" for Sonny Fortune, another alto sax player (alto flute too). First time I got to see him live was in mid Seventies San Francisco, at the long since defunct Keystone Korner.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:41 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post

@Gary - Yes, many of us - anyway, a few handfuls - of cloistered jazz fans here. We hardly ever make an appearance in the "Been To Any Concerts Lately" thread. I try to get into NYC when I can to the jazz clubs...maybe those smaller venues aren't considered a "concert". I dunno.

BTW - I got a "thing" for Sonny Fortune, another alto sax player (alto flute too). First time I got to see him live was in mid Seventies San Francisco, at the long since defunct Keystone Korner.
I have the Sonny Fortune album "Awakening." Haven't played it in a long time, maybe I should give it a listen.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Gary I found this, pics of the entire set!

https://imageevent.com/halpen/1958swedenjazzbilderset

Old 09-01-2018, 08:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

I am almost positive there are no cards of Coltrane either. Basie and Miller have 40s mutoscopes and of course Louis has tons of cards and Ella has quite a few.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg basie.jpg (70.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg miller,g.jpg (72.2 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-01-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:21 AM
Ted Zanidakis

I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned of the famous New York City Jazz scene which was named after Charlie.....BIRDLAND.

Birdland was established in 1949, Charlie Parker was the headliner, and the club owners named it after him. Birdland was located on
Broadway, just west of 52nd Street. This part of the City was a hot-spot of Jazz in the 1930's to the mid-1960's.

I graduated HS in 1957, my Jazz-loving buddies and I would drive to Birdland almost every month. Admission was $5, a hard-liquor
drink was only $1.50.

Listed here are some of the Jazz greats which we saw (and heard) at Birdland.

Duke Ellington
Ella Fitzgerald
George Shearing
Dizzy Gillespie
Gene Krupa
Paul Desmond
Gerry Mulligan
Count Basie
Lionel Hampton
Dave Brubeck Quartet
Vince Guaraldi Trio
etc.

The 1950's and 1960s were a great time to be a "Jersey guy" with a car, living less than an hour away from New York City.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 09-03-2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

More jazz cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg armstrong59.jpg (72.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg ella65.jpg (75.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg ellington.jpg (71.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg vaughan.jpg (72.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg lee.jpg (72.2 KB, 45 views)

Old 09-03-2018, 07:15 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Peter, what's the story with the Vaughan and Peggy cards? Issue, year of, etc.

And...gotta love a Ellington that looks like a T206
Old 09-03-2018, 08:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter, what's the story with the Vaughan and Peggy cards? Issue, year of, etc.

And...gotta love a Ellington that looks like a T206
1959 NuCard. Very easy to find.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-03-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:41 AM
Ted Zanidakis

The Jazz artist that I would have liked to see perform is Ahmad Jamal. I don't think he ever performed at Birdland. Ahmad Jamal was a Jazz contemporary of Charlie Parker.
Like Dave Brubeck, Jamal introduced an exciting new style to Jazz in the 1950's. And, like Brubeck, Jamal has enjoyed a long life (he recently celebrated his 88th Birthday).

His rendering of “Poinciana” ranks up there with Dave Brubeck's "Take Five", as one of the all-time best of Jazz.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 09-03-2018, 10:17 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

That Ellington card is really neat, I'll have to try and pick one up.

Here's a set of cards I did for myself about 20 years ago. I had done a series of five portraits of my favorite jazz musicians to hang over my record player. They seemed to lend themselves to a 1934-36 Diamond Stars style.

bigbandcard.jpg
Old 09-13-2018, 09:26 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I just picked up one of those Mitchell's Cigarettes Duke Ellington cards - it's a pretty neat little card that can be had at a reasonalble price (I paid $14)