NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
The 93 Jeter is the closest card to a 52 Mantle in the modern era. The most popular card of the most popular and collected player of the era. And he played for the Yankees and won several titles. That seems to matter more in the collecting world than being the better player. There are guys who played in Mantle's era you can argue were better players, but their cards will never match his in terms of popularity or value.

Since I got back into collecting the 93 Jeter in PSA 10 has already gone from selling for 30k to recent sales of 75-100k. While I'm certainly not a hobby expert I have a fair amount of knowledge and haven't heard of the Ott card you mentioned. How much has its value changed over the same time period? Without looking it up I would guess less than the 2.5-3× the Jeter has increased by. And I would place my bet on the Jeter having more long term potential.
I would assume the above post was made with tongue thoroughly in cheek. That would be incredibly sad if you never heard of Mel Ott, who was in fact the second best player in Giants' history, with an OPS+ neck and neck with Aaron and Mays. With regard to the Ott rookie, I purchased if for a bit over $1400 in a PWCC auction this spring, and have already received an offer to purchase it for a total amount of $2100, going through PWCC. You need to do some research into the coin collecting field, where there are many analogous situations to the popular but readily available in high grade Jeter. It may take awhile, but there is no way this card--auctioned by PWCC for $99,000+ a short time ago, is going to be worth 10X that in any existing member of this board's lifetime. Instead, as in popular but similar pop report coins, it will have its' time in the sun and then fall precipitously. It may cycle upwards and then fall again, as is the situation with analogous coins, but to think it fall into the category of a good investment? Maybe the sun will start rising in the west and setting in the east!

Best of luck in your collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 09-19-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Jesse in fairness did not say he did not know Mel Ott, he said he did not know that particular card.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I have a couple of 8s that look perfect to my eye.
That's the thing -- when the difference can only be seen with a loupe, do we really care?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:14 PM
je.sse @rnot

Ha yes I have heard of Mel Ott, just not the card mentioned.

My point was that if I haven't heard of it, chances are many other collectors have not as well. I would take my chances with the most popular card of an era over an obscure card without a lot of demand, in terms of long term appreciation potential.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 09-19-2018 at 05:19 PM.