NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2015, 08:13 AM
pete ullman

Default What Fakes have you been duped by?

As Leon recently stated...if you stay in the hobby long enough...you will buy a fake/altered card at some point."

I have been in this glorious hobby over 30 yrs...and I have been the victim a few times.

1st time...as a child with my dad at a card show was sold a fake Mayo cut plug card of lave cross. Back not black...but I had no idea!!!!!

2nd time...in college...in Delaware...bought a fake fro joy sheet at a local card shop...I had no idea as to the extent of fakes of these at the time.

3rd time...I bought a really bad T3 off ebay that even had the back photocopied and pasted on the back...I must have been drunk when I made that purchase??!?!

How about y'all...what got you????
Old 02-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think I have lost count but my first bad card was from ebay about 15 yrs ago. I still have it, a fake D304 Lajoie. I have more I might share later. I am a slow learner.

Last edited by Leon; 02-11-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:28 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

Not a big one, but when I first got back into collecting some years back I stupidly bought an out of focus T206 common off ebay from a seller who "didn't know much about baseball cards." It of course turned out to be more fake than the $9 bill I should have paid him with. Disgusted with myself, I just ate the loss, as a $9 lesson learned.

I have previously in my youth learned other non-baseball card lessons, which cost much more than $9, so overall this one was not too bad!
T206 back run: 21/38

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 02-11-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:47 AM
Tony Ooten

Since I got back in about 6 years ago, these two (neither are pre-war):

I have a 48/49 Leaf Musial that I owned for over two years before I started to suspect it may be a reprint http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=158211 I still don't know for sure, and I probably don't want to know since I paid a lot of money (for me anyway) for it. If I ever send any cards in for grading, I'll let this one go along to see what the graders think.

I also have a 40 playball Paul Waner that didn't raise any suspicions when I pulled it from the mailing envelope, but the last time I looked at it, it did look fishy. Sure enough, I compared the back to a graded copy on ebay. The text on the back was the same but didn't have the same formatting. Lines of text ended with different words.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 AM
Robert Williams

1948 Leaf Satchell Paige. Looked real to me.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Ben North

Bought a $120 89 Fleer Bill Ripken White Out version. Seller sold around 10 of them on eBay and several of them were being graded as real by PSA & Beckett. Of course I bought mine from the seller through the mail with cash and it was altered(fake).

I have also bought my share of missing color rare error cards that turned out to be altered garbage.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:59 AM
Zach

1950 Bowman Jackie Robinson. I bought it off ebay years ago and last year I was really starting to wonder about it's authenticity. I'm not familiar with the set and I couldn't tell for sure so I sent it to SGC and it came back as fake.

I don't even know how much I spent on it originally... which is probably a good thing.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:09 AM

Bought a crappy modern lazer printing of what I thought was a 1909 Pirates postcard. Got it in hand, saw how fuzzy the lettering was and knew I'd been had.

Smelled it too of course, just in case.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:11 AM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
As Leon recently stated...if you stay in the hobby long enough...you will buy a fake/altered card at some point."

I have been in this glorious hobby over 30 yrs...and I have been the victim a few times.

1st time...as a child with my dad at a card show was sold a fake Mayo cut plug card of lave cross. Back not black...but I had no idea!!!!!

2nd time...in college...in Delaware...bought a fake fro joy sheet at a local card shop...I had no idea as to the extent of fakes of these at the time.

3rd time...I bought a really bad T3 off ebay that even had the back photocopied and pasted on the back...I must have been drunk when I made that purchase??!?!

How about y'all...what got you????
My $1500 mistake wasn't fake but altered and was sitting in a BVG 5 holder. I cracked it and sent to PSA only to find that someone had removed the number. ugh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bresnahan17psaAfront.jpg (76.2 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg Bresnahan17psaAback.jpg (76.4 KB, 409 views)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 02-11-2015, 09:17 AM

I sadly just realized my 63 Rose rookie was fake. Not even a good one. No clue how I didn't spot it as fake right off the bat ... but my excuse is that I got it so many years ago I didn't know what I was doing. (Still ... it's so bad I can't even live with that excuse.)

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I've bought a couple of large cardboard ads (advertised as period) featuring prewar baseball players, one for Draper and Maynard (a counterfeit of this Athletics panel: http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...2010/1718.html and one for Coca Cola (as seen here: http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/313323). I actually bought two of the Coke ones, but now I'm pretty sure no such sign ever existed except as a recent fantasy piece. They actually look pretty good, but each was a case of my knowing that someone was getting suckered on the deal and just being incorrect about who it was.

I also paid more than I care to recall for a Sport Kings Jim Thorpe reprint and a Wayne Gretzky rookie back in about 2002.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:32 AM
Joe M.

Bought a T205 Cobb on ebay, over $1000.00, came back from SGC as fake.

The best part of the deal is I got my money back 10 years later working with Leon and NET54 members. Details somewhere in the ARCHIVES.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I got stuck with 2 fakes over the years:

1 - about 10-12 years ago I bought a Babe ruth candy card on ebay for 103.00, you know that classic discoloration with nice corners kind. ugh

2 - about 2 years ago a bought a ruth sohan post card on ebay, I had at the time never seen one before, there was 5 min left on the auction and there were 3-4 bidders and the price was only at $12.00 - so I figured to take a shot, ended up winning it at $16.00. After posting it here I learned it was a fake and a bad one, lol Now after owning a real one wow - the thing was 1/2 the size and was all wrong.

anyway - I guess we all get caught sometimes, hopefully its just not too much money spent for a lesson learned.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 02-11-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I 'won' a fake OJ from one of the notorious Ohio scammers back in the bad old eBay days. Had to eat the costs on that one.

I got a fake Sandy Koufax Tropicana postcard last year. How times change. I filed a dispute with eBay/paypal and got a refund. At least for me that time the system worked.

I have been taken a few times on modern prints of old photos. I am no longer buying clean photos from random eBay sellers.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-11-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:04 AM
octavio ranzola

a fake jose Canseco 86 donruss rated rookie card oh well im Cuban .
Old 02-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

I bought a "fuzzy-photoed" T205 Ford (white cap) on eBay several years ago as the asking price seemed fairly reasonable...SO OBVIOUSLY a fake when I received it.

The seller DID refund my money, but only after grumbling to me that "it IS a T205, but he DIDN'T say that it was a REAL one..."

I STILL NEED THAT CARD...
Old 02-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
Bought a T205 Cobb on ebay, over $1000.00, came back from SGC as fake.

The best part of the deal is I got my money back 10 years later working with Leon and NET54 members. Details somewhere in the ARCHIVES.

Joe
Unfortunately, that seller is in the great Archives in the sky. He made an honest mistake on that one. I remember it. The seller was close to legally blind and was a really good guy.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:45 AM

I bought a stack of 1933 Goudey HOFers (including Ruth) in 1973 for $20, which was a lot of money back then. Those cards held a prominent place in my collection until 20 years later when I figured out they were fake (thinner paper stock). I was glad I didn't trade for them.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:52 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
a fake jose Canseco 86 donruss rated rookie card oh well im Cuban .
On the bright side, there's probably less Jose Canseco fake rookies than there are real ones.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:36 PM
Dave H@rford

About 10 years ago I started into the collecting world of Exhibits cards. I purchased a small stack (6-7 cards) of the 1939-1946 Exhibits for about $100 or so, mainly to get the Ted Williams (#9 not showing) card, but there were several other HOFs in there as well. All the cards turned out to be the "gray cardboard back" reprints worth about $1 each (of course I did not realize that until I had sent 3 of them to PSA at $7 a pop to grade). Double the financial loss.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:42 PM
MîçhćŁ ßöwŁßĄ

I don't collect any cards though I may have been fooled by a few implants!!! I thought they were real.....

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 02-11-2015, 01:18 PM
P*ter Me@d

Default a few fakes

First mistake was buying a lot at a local antique auction. A few real cards and a few real fake cards--a Caramel LaJoie and a National Game WaJo.

Ebay mistake was one of those last minute rushed bids, too good to be real deals. You have to read the small print--but I do now own a fake late 1940s Tip Top bread Spahn.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:32 PM
thomas c killeen

Default interesting topic

Last November bought Andy Pafko 1952 topps raw for $350 turns out to be recolored. Buying so many cards this is going to happen. The issue is the big winner here is the TPG's as these same cards are resold and regraded over and over. I decided to put the card in an authentic holder, so it does not recirculate. Is there an alternative solution?

eBay item number:
Old 02-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombocombo View Post
Last November bought Andy Pafko 1952 topps raw for $350 turns out to be recolored. Buying so many cards this is going to happen. The issue is the big winner here is the TPG's as these same cards are resold and regraded over and over. I decided to put the card in an authentic holder, so it does not recirculate. Is there an alternative solution?

eBay item number:

Don't mean to sound harsh, but it makes zero sense why you got an 'A' grade because you don't want it to 'recirculate', then why would you offer it up to sell (if it's indeed yours, I don't know your eBay tag) when they can crack it out and a TPG could throw a number on it.

The only true way of it never recirculating is to keep it in your collection forever or to destroy it so that no one else gets duped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 02-11-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:41 PM
thomas c killeen

Default Brent

It's not for my collection, need at least a PSA 5 or SGC 60 for my set. Looking for opinions on why more cards are not put in "A" Authentic holders.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:54 PM
D0NN1E B

Reading through all of these begs the question, how many of us are holding cards that are fakes and we don't know it? Now I have a 1939 Play Ball Earl Averill that I'm worried about.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:48 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Great topic.

Luckily for me I bought a '48 Ruth the other day....the seller listed it as a reprint...what a fool! I scooped it up for $2.99
Old 02-11-2015, 04:55 PM
Sean Costello

Not a fake, but I bought this Cobb in 2002 when I began collecting. It was described by the seller as "EX Condition."

I sent it for grading in 2009, and it came back trimmed... which is obvious to me now.

scan0023.jpg
Old 02-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Charlie

Bought many SCD Red Label graded a number of years ago. Very successful cracking out and sending to SGC or PSA. Saw a Babe Ruth Candy card in a SCD Red Label and bought it. Received it and held on to it for awhile and had not sent in to either grading company. A local friend that was on Net54 asked to see the card. Brought it to him one day and he said it did not look right. After he fooled around with the holder, it came apart. The card had been switched and the holder put back together.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Eric Perry

I have only been duped once, that I know of. As a much, much younger man, I bought a 1984 Donruss Don Mattingly that turned out to be counterfeit.

Lesson learned. I am still pissed about it and still have the fake...it serves as a constant reminder to be on the lookout.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 02-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Jeff Lowe

I wouldn't say I was duped but took a chance on a T3 Cobb in a frame was worth a shot but turned out to be a magazine piece . That's life .
Old 02-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrompa View Post
I wouldn't say I was duped but took a chance on a T3 Cobb in a frame was worth a shot but turned out to be a magazine piece . That's life .
Did you ever feel you were framed?

ps...might as well add, if we take into account altered cards, bought as good, and not only fake cards, then my number goes up a few. I was only counting the fake ones...

Last edited by Leon; 02-11-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:40 PM
Er1k Greeń.w00d

I got duped on a W551 Sisler and Stengel several years ago.

Erik
Old 02-11-2015, 08:03 PM
Gobucsmagic74

I just sent a '57 Topps Aaron, that I've always wondered about, off to SGC. Its always looked to good to be true so I will not be surprised at all if its reprint/fake. Will keep you all posted (even though its post-war).
Old 02-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 02-12-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Archive

I'm from Ohio.

We don't buy fakes

We sell them!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Unfortunately, that seller is in the great Archives in the sky. He made an honest mistake on that one. I remember it. The seller was close to legally blind and was a really good guy.
Sorry to hear that, thanks for the info Leon

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 02-11-2015, 10:27 PM
George E.

I have no eye for spotting trimmed cards. It doesn't occur to me until it is too late. I got a great deal on a Fisk rookie, brought in to the local shop to brag and the guy said it was trimmed faster than he could have read the names. And it was super trimmed. I felt like an idiot. I've been burned at least two other times on trimmed cards. If you want to sell a trimmed card to an unsuspecting rube, I'm your guy.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Jeff Francis

This wasn't fake, but was tricked/Stupid for not researching before the purchase.

I had a customer call me asking if I was interested in a Jackie Robinson 1946 Montreal Royals Team Signed Baseball. I obviously was and thought there was a good chance it was real considering I am less then a hour from Montreal. I was kind of busy when they cam in, I just checked to see if it was a International League ball and I check to make sure it was real signatures.... I didn't even think to check the other players on the ball.... Turns out there was a Jack Robinson who played in the Minors for the Yankees (Newark Bears) who signed very similar to the Jackie Robinson.
It wasn't fake, Just not what I thought I was buying. I am unsure if the customer even knew, but i certainly made a mistake not taking the time to research it more before I bought it....