NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-29-2017, 03:04 PM
Lou Brown

Default Beckett to PSA Crossover (graded to trimmed!?)

How often does this happen? Picked up a Namath RC that was graded by beckett. It was a screamer but oc. The sub grades were 3, 8, 8.5, 8.5 - 4.5 overall grade due to centering being so low. Figured I'd crack it out and send to PSA. Still have the tag and image of it in the holder. After 8 days for a 5 day express submission, I get the news that there is evidence of trimming. Ouch.

Would love to hear from others on this. Similar experiences? What would you do next?

Last edited by loubrown; 08-29-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:17 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Sorry for your experience. It is what I have experienced almost every time I have broken out a BVG slab. I just assume every BVG card is altered and pass unless I know who submitted it and the circumstances behind the submission.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ugh.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:35 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Beckett was not nearly as good at detecting trimming back when they had subgrades on their vintage cards. Crack at your own risk. You now have a nice raw card. Nobody to blame because you can't return the card in the same condition you purchased it in.

Beckett still grades "sheet cut" and "undersized" cards like the 1979 Wayne Gretzky's and 1993 UD SP Derek Jeters. Be very careful cracking out BGS/BVG cards in the future.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

They have also slabbed a lot of Star BKB cards that just look hideously short to me, and I have seen lots of comments about same online. Is the issue with Jeters that they are trimmed?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:24 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Tried one, 59 fleer

Was bvg 8, psa said trimmed

Upon inspection, it was sheet cut

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-29-2017, 06:24 PM
Henry Nich.ols

Lesson to be learned if you want a card in a psa holder, then buy the card in a psa holder. You will end up with a lot less problems and headaches in the end.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

Last edited by irv; 08-29-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:53 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Seems

This seems to be far too normal a practice and is why I really do not like BGS/BVG grading. Yes PSA misses some alterations as does SGC but they miss far fewer percentage wise then Beckett seems to miss. They seem to be good with counterfeits but alterations are another matter completely.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:54 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
This seems to be far too normal a practice and is why I really do not like BGS/BVG grading. Yes PSA misses some alterations as does SGC but they miss far fewer percentage wise then Beckett seems to miss. They seem to be good with counterfeits but alterations are another matter completely.
Yup and the well known card doctors know this. For the time being a BVG 8 still goes for more than a PSA or SGC Authentic.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:16 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Lesson to be learned if you want a card in a psa holder, then buy the card in a psa holder. You will end up with a lot less problems and headaches in the end.

What he said. Far too many horror stories out there of folks trying to make a $$$ score xing to PSA.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:59 PM
Jim McKinley

Default Leave it in the holder?

Would it be better when trying to cross BVG to PSA to just leave the card in the holder?
Old 08-30-2017, 08:40 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yes, for a couple of reasons:
1) PSA won't crack it out unless it meets the minimum grade you asked for.
2) PSA may be able to detect trimming through the case.
3) PSA will also makes sure it meets MINSIZ before cracking.
4) Cracking BGS/BVG cases can damage the card.
5) Worst case is you get your card back in the BVG case or if PSA cracks it and then determines it is altered, I think they owe you something to cover your loss.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL1944 View Post
Would it be better when trying to cross BVG to PSA to just leave the card in the holder?
The reason people don't do this is that supposedly due to politics they are very disinclined to cross cards submitted in other companies' holders. So people take risks because there is a better chance of getting a raw card graded than a slabbed card crossed.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-30-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:01 PM
Ne@l K

BGS is great for the modern, shiny card.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-31-2017, 08:46 AM

Years ago I sent in to PSA for crossover a BVG 1951 Mays. No go - came back trimmed. Then off to SGC, same result.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:29 PM

The only BVG to PSA cross I ever tried was a high-end HOF and I sent it in the BVG slab and it crossed straight over, BUT and this is the BIG but, it was from a hand-cut issue, so designed to be cut, and the degree of border still there plain to see and obviously checked out to my eye before I sent it...