NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 11-26-2015, 02:42 PM

Smile Will the joe namath rookie card Topps 1965 become the next Mantle 52?

I see similarities.
Both Icons,
Both New York Icons.
Joe Namath is now hitting the memorabilia circuit like Mickey Mantle did in the 1980s and 1990s.

My conclusion is the Joe Namath rookie card is extremly undervalued and will jump in price over this next decade.
Any thoughts on this?

btw I am a long time lurker, and this is my first post.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:17 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASEBALLCARDGURU View Post
My conclusion is the Joe Namath rookie card is extremly undervalued and will jump in price over this next decade.
Any thoughts on this?
Welcome Guru

Boy I don't know if the Namath is "extremely undervalued" it's already an expensive card. Of course vintage football cards in general are undervalued compared to baseball cards.

I wonder how many of the '52 Topps (DP) Mantle cards are out there compared to the '65 Topps (SP) Namath?

At major card shows, I bet I see more '52 Topps Mantles than I see the '65 Topps Namath card. But I don't see the Namath RC approaching the levels that Mantle brings.

Larry
Old 11-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Sam Lemoine

If you look at how iconic the 1952 baseball set is, that plays a part. The tall boys are popular, but not nearly to the same extent. Plus, Namath's career was nowhere near Mantle's. I see the Namath card being popular, but never bringing anything near the Mantle levels.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

I think not. Namath is according to most experts not even among the top 100 players of all time.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:41 AM
pariah1107

Welcome to the board. This was recently discussed here, when the topic switched to Mt. Rushmore of football cards, posts 60-65: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=210598

Some collectors are obviously in your corner on this subject for many of the same reasons you mention; "I equate it to the 1952 Topps Mantle version of football cards. Short print from a popular set, charismatic NY star and unrealized potential due to injury (what-if-mystique)" Scott G.

I do not see it, but I'm too young and on the opposite coast. I probably do not understand the spell Namath may still have over the city of New York.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:36 AM
Jeff P

So the question remains: if not Namath, who?

What card is going to rise up and become the Topps 52 Mantle of football over time?

Thoughts?

jeff
Old 11-27-2015, 10:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post

What card is going to rise up and become the Topps 52 Mantle of football over time?

Thoughts?

jeff
Not sure that any card will. Unlike baseball, the relatively early stars (Graham, Baugh, Motley, Hutson, etc.) just do not seem to be revered. Not sure why that is. Football is as or more popular than baseball as a sport but the history seems much less important to fans and collectors. By the time you get to Unitas and Brown the cards are so plentiful even in high grade that I just don't see it. Nagurski is a logical candidate on some criteria I guess, but does anyone really care?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-27-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:19 PM
pariah1107

Quote:

Thoughts?

jeff
No card. I'm not even sure the Namath will maintain it's current price range. Even Chicle prices seem to be returning to earth, and with it the price of Nags. I'd rather have a '59 Bazooka Jim Brown than a '58 keyhole RC. In fact, I'd probably rather have a '59 Bazooka Johnny Unitas than a '57 RC. As previously mentioned the '76 Payton or '81 Montana are too numerous. For this collector, the '77 Largent distributed in Mexico is the prize of my collection, but not a famous enough card. Had Largent parlayed his gig in Congress to a term in the White House it may be a different story NO card, final answer.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:53 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
No card. I'm not even sure the Namath will maintain it's current price range. Even Chicle prices seem to be returning to earth, and with it the price of Nags. I'd rather have a '59 Bazooka Jim Brown than a '58 keyhole RC. In fact, I'd probably rather have a '59 Bazooka Johnny Unitas than a '57 RC. As previously mentioned the '76 Payton or '81 Montana are too numerous. For this collector, the '77 Largent distributed in Mexico is the prize of my collection, but not a famous enough card. Had Largent parlayed his gig in Congress to a term in the White House it may be a different story NO card, final answer.
Could be the case that no card is ever the Mantle of football but I don't believe for a second that vintage football cards are at a peak in value. There's always ups and downs tied to the economy but overall card values continue upwards.

And where are you seeing Chicles "returning to earth"? Nags? I don't see that anywhere. It's seldom that I see a Chicle auction for a 7 or 8 go for less than the highest recorded VCP price. Or maybe its in the lower grades?

I also haven't seen a bargain Nags in forever either but can't say I've been tracking every single one that comes up for auction. The ones I have tracked have all gone for more than the prices I had recorded for sales over the past 4-5 years.

jeff
Old 11-27-2015, 01:08 PM
pariah1107

Quote:
Could be the case that no card is ever the Mantle of football but I don't believe for a second that vintage football cards are at a peak in value. There's always ups and downs tied to the economy but overall card values continue upwards.

And where are you seeing Chicles "returning to earth"? Nags? I don't see that anywhere. It's seldom that I see a Chicle auction for a 7 or 8 go for less than the highest recorded VCP price. Or maybe its in the lower grades?

I also haven't seen a bargain Nags in forever either but can't say I've been tracking every single one that comes up for auction. The ones I have tracked have all gone for more than the prices I had recorded for sales over the past 4-5 years.

jeff
I don't know about 7 or 8 Chicles as they are out my budget, and I take your word for it Jeff as you have more experience in them. I am admittedly a lower grade collector and can only say, I would not even consider chasing the Chicle set 3-5 years ago, but have seen recent auctions of well centered 3 or 4's go at very reasonable prices. As for the Nags, and if memory serves I believe there was a SGC 20 for little plus $1000 on the BST just recently here.

Last edited by pariah1107; 11-27-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Scott Gerace

I think that the Namath already is the '52 Mantle of Football cards, but that's just it. I don't think that Football cards will ever reach the levels that Baseball cards currently enjoy. There are/were so many more Baseball cards printed than their Football counterparts but there are also many more collectors and while Football is far more popular than Baseball, the history of Baseball is more appealing to fans/collectors because so much more is known about early Baseball stars than Football stars.

This is also a double edged sword though because I think that Baseball cards will eventually lose a larger percentage of their value relative to Football cards. I think that the Baseball fan base is aging while Football popularity is still relatively young as it really began to boom in the late '50's and early '60's. I can honestly see the Baseball card market taking a "nosedive" in maybe 20 years (or less) as the "Baby Boomers" pass and leave their collections to younger relatives who will care little or nothing for a game that they find "slow & boring". As an example, and this is by no means scientific, I gave my nephew a binder full of Football cards and a PSA graded Topps Traded Albert Pujols RC. Recently I asked my brother if my nephew was trading cards yet (he is 9 yo) and my brother said that he takes his binder to school w/ him everyday. I then said to take the Pujols in as well to see if he could trade it to which my brother replied, "he did, but nobody wants Baseball cards".

Football cards will probably NEVER reach the levels currently enjoyed by Baseball cards & Baseball cards will most likely not hold their current levels either but I don't think that there will be a point in my lifetime where a Namath RC will trade hands for $400K.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_GERACE View Post
I think that the Namath already is the '52 Mantle of Football cards, but that's just it. I don't think that Football cards will ever reach the levels that Baseball cards currently enjoy. There are/were so many more Baseball cards printed than their Football counterparts but there are also many more collectors and while Football is far more popular than Baseball, the history of Baseball is more appealing to fans/collectors because so much more is known about early Baseball stars than Football stars.

This is also a double edged sword though because I think that Baseball cards will eventually lose a larger percentage of their value relative to Football cards. I think that the Baseball fan base is aging while Football popularity is still relatively young as it really began to boom in the late '50's and early '60's. I can honestly see the Baseball card market taking a "nosedive" in maybe 20 years (or less) as the "Baby Boomers" pass and leave their collections to younger relatives who will care little or nothing for a game that they find "slow & boring". As an example, and this is by no means scientific, I gave my nephew a binder full of Football cards and a PSA graded Topps Traded Albert Pujols RC. Recently I asked my brother if my nephew was trading cards yet (he is 9 yo) and my brother said that he takes his binder to school w/ him everyday. I then said to take the Pujols in as well to see if he could trade it to which my brother replied, "he did, but nobody wants Baseball cards".

Football cards will probably NEVER reach the levels currently enjoyed by Baseball cards & Baseball cards will most likely not hold their current levels either but I don't think that there will be a point in my lifetime where a Namath RC will trade hands for $400K.
Agree, Scott. People forget that the NFL is perhaps 50 years younger than MLB so baseball has had a heck of a head start! I believe football cards / memorabilia will continue to rise but its long-term value will be more determined by whether collecting collectibles appeals to younger generations.

jeff
Old 11-27-2015, 05:21 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
I don't know about 7 or 8 Chicles as they are considerably out my budget, and I take your word for it Jeff as you have considerably more experience in them. I am admittedly a lower grade collector and can only say, I would not even consider chasing the Chicle set three years or five years ago, but have seen recent auctions of well centered 3 or 4's go at very reasonable prices. As for the Nags, and if memory serves I believe there was recently a SGC 20 for little plus $1000 on the BST just recently here.
Don't recall that Nags, Ty, but anything is possible. The SGC 20's I've seen sell recently have all been between $1900 - $2500.

jeff
Old 11-27-2015, 05:29 PM
John

Great Thread!

I think Peter hit the nail on the head when he said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Unlike baseball, the relatively early stars (Graham, Baugh, Motley, Hutson, etc.) just do not seem to be revered. Not sure why that is. Football is as or more popular than baseball as a sport but the history seems much less important to fans and collectors.
I've talked to people who are completely football obsessed - spend their whole weekends watching/travelling to college and pro games etc. But if you talk history with them its Jim Brown, Lombardi's Packers, Gale Sayers - that's about it. (They recognize there was a pre Super Bowl era (barely), but it's as if the first 35-40 years of it never happened.) Anything from the early days they don't recognize the names. That's been my experience - admittedly a small sample size.

And Jeff, I mentioned this in a few other threads - in my view Chicle prices are not only down, but falling. Hopefully, its just a natural ebb and flow and they'll recover, but I'm at least a little concerned. I'm seeing it on the mid and low grade cards - there is no question there. On the high grades, I'm not sure - I noticed one or two PSA 7 cards go low, but the centering wasn't good enough to draw a conclusion. The Nagurski transcends the Chicle set - HOF rookie, top 100 cards in the hobby, etc., so I wouldn't expect it to fall, but I'm not seeing a rising trend on low grade decent eye appeal examples like these:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...3+HOF&_sacat=0

To get back on topic, Namath really isn't Mantle in terms of playing career. Very roughly and very subjectively if you take Mantle as #9 all-time as per ESPN and you look at the NFL top 100 produced by the NFL Network:

1986 TOPPS JERRY RICE
1958 TOPPS JIM BROWN
1982 TOPPS LAWRENCE TAYLOR
1981 TOPPS JOE MONTANA
1976 TOPPS WALTER PAYTON
1957 TOPPS JOHNNY UNITAS
1984 TOPPS USFL REGGIE WHITE
1998 SP AUTHENTIC PEYTON MANNING
1955 TOPPS ALL-AMERICAN DON HUTSON
1966 PHILADELPHIA DICK BUTKUS

Unitas may be the closest analogy to Mantle since he's a QB and QBs seem to be the most popular football players and they both have a rookie card from the 50s. Unitas didn't play in NY though.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 11-27-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:44 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Great Thread!

I think Peter hit the nail on the head when he said this:

Unlike baseball, the relatively early stars (Graham, Baugh, Motley, Hutson, etc.) just do not seem to be revered. Not sure why that is. Football is as or more popular than baseball as a sport but the history seems much less important to fans and collectors.

I've talked to people who are completely football obsessed - spend their whole weekends watching/travelling to college and pro games etc. But if you talk history with them its Jim Brown, Lombardi's Packers, Gale Sayers - that's about it. Anything earlier than that they don't even recognize the names. That's been my experience - admittedly a very small sample size.
I think there lots of reasons why football fans feel this way:

1. The NFL does a horrible job of glorifying its past ... its just not something they seem to care about doing. Baseball does a much better job.

2. Football is often considered the perfect sport for TV and, perhaps because of this, players / teams prior to the TV era of the 50s don't get a lot of attention. The popularity of football exploded when it moved to the tube.

3. The rules have changed soooo much that nobody from way back owns any of the major records any longer so their names never come up. People can't identify with a QB who has the same number of interceptions as touchdowns or a completion percentage of 50% as being any good. Way back those were considered pretty good numbers! At one time throwing for 3,000 yards in a season was a MAJOR accomplishment. Today QBs might get fired for that low of a yardage total.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 11-27-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Baseball is also just more conducive to people relating to individual players. They aren't hidden under a helmet for one thing. For another, they are out there alone at the plate, on the mound, in the field, for prolonged periods of time where they can be seen and studied. Football for better or worse is much more of a team game, where the whole team moves for a few seconds at a time. And baseball is much more conducive to statistics as well.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-27-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Be.n C0z1n

Football cards one major advantage working in their favor. People who like to collect sets can put together football sets from the 50's and 60's without killing themselves. I was chipping away at the early 70's baseball sets, and I woke up one day and was like "what the he$$ am I doing" I'm still 60-70 cards away and I've been working on these for what seems like forever. You can pick up a lot of commons and semi-stars from say the 1968 topps football set for like 100 bucks and then you're like "wow, I need like another 30-40 cards for the set, this is doable." Truthfully it just doesn't make financial sense to peace together vintage baseball sets. Younger generations will never have the patience, baseball is already becoming about the star cards, and that will continue in my opinion. Even though vintage football is out there, its not as common as baseball. Football continues to grow in popularity, while baseball has become a suburban sport ( granted those are the people who generally collect cards in the first place ).
Old 11-27-2015, 06:56 PM
Dave

I seriously don't get the Namath thing myself. He's essentially in the HOF for making a guarantee of a Super Bowl win. A game he pretty much Trent Dilfer'd his team to a win in. In the modern era they at least have the guts to hand the MVP award to one of the Jets Defensive players, or at least Matt Snell, instead of Namath.

He had a couple seasons he threw for a lot of Yards in the AFL, and also a ton of Interceptions.

There's probably a handful of QB's who played around his era who put up better numbers and will probably never get a sniff of the HOF, and somehow Namath slipped right in with little resistence.

Outside of the relative difficulty of the card, I don't understand why it's such a holy grail of the hobby.

Maybe compare him to Johnny Mize or Lou Brock (no slouches), but Mantle is a head-scratcher for me.

Not that it's not a valid question as his cards ARE very extremely sought after compared to others of his era. I just don't quite get it.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:14 PM
John

Jeff - those 3 points were great - honestly some things in there I never thought of.

Namath is a legitimate HOFer. It's not a stretch to say he's a top 100 player, even if I'm sure I'd have him lower because I'd rank a bunch of guys from the 20s and 30s no one ever talks about. I don't have much problem with any of the accolades Namath has gotten. The SB III MVP I'd have given to Snell or the Jets defense for some key interceptions, but I don't think Namath was a bad choice. That being said and I started a thread on this, that rookie card is over priced to me. I don't have one
Old 11-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Namath is a legitimate HOFer. It's not a stretch to say he's a top 100 player, even if I'm sure I'd have him lower because I'd rank a bunch of guys from the 20s and 30s no one ever talks about. I don't have much problem with any of the accolades Namath has gotten. The SB III MVP I'd have given to Snell or the Jets defense for some key interceptions, but I don't think Namath was a bad choice. That being said and I started a thread on this, that rookie card is over priced to me. I don't have one
+1000

There's a lot more reasons why Namath is in the HOF other than guaranteeing a Super Bowl.

I believe his signing by the AFL truly legitimized the league and was instrumental in getting the NFL to the table to agree to a merger.

He was also a PERSONALITY ... one of the most visible and famous of all football players during the 60s and 70s. Playing in NYC was definitely part of his appeal. Also his looks and lifestyle.

When Namath was the first QB to throw for 4,000 yards in a season in 1967, he beat the old record by 300-400 yards and his record was not broken until the NFL went to a 16 game season in 1979.

jeff
Old 11-27-2015, 10:03 PM
John

This is an older thread i stated on the Namath rookie: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ghlight=namath
Old 11-28-2015, 03:20 AM
mike g

I agree with what many have already posted , vintage football just does not have nearly the market vintage baseball has.
Honestly the two cards I think will have the greatest potential for growth in the future are two newer cards - both the Peyton manning and the tom Brady contenders rookie auto.
That set has become the standard for autographed rookies and especially those years since they are super tough to find.
The manning card especially. You very rarely see that card.
I could easily see both of those cards just continuing to rise in value as those guys retire , and as they keep disappearing from the market and get stashed away into people's PC's.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:48 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1986 View Post
Honestly the two cards I think will have the greatest potential for growth in the future are two newer cards - both the Peyton manning and the tom Brady contenders rookie auto.
That set has become the standard for autographed rookies and especially those years since they are super tough to find.
The manning card especially. You very rarely see that card.
I could easily see both of those cards just continuing to rise in value as those guys retire , and as they keep disappearing from the market and get stashed away into people's PC's.
I can see that. I was going to offer up the Montana Rookie as a candidate but there's just too many of them out there for it to ever be a 'Mantle' kinda card. the Brady and Peyton rookies could be another story in 30-40 years.

jeff
Old 11-28-2015, 08:18 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

I have always thought postwar football was cheap. Except the Namath. It is a tough card and he is a New York Icon. However, I have always thought that the Namath was overpriced. Let's face it, the '65 set is NOT the same as the '52 BB.

Unfortunately football players fade from memory faster than baseball players. Don't believe me? Why is it that you can pick up copies of HOF rookies for next to nothing? I think we agree that there were less football cards printed. So shouldn't even 3rd tier HoFer's cards be a little harder to come by/more expensive?
Old 11-28-2015, 09:24 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Unfortunately football players fade from memory faster than baseball players. Don't believe me? Why is it that you can pick up copies of HOF rookies for next to nothing? I think we agree that there were less football cards printed. So shouldn't even 3rd tier HoFer's cards be a little harder to come by/more expensive?
I personally don't believe it has to do with players fading from memory as much as the lack of vintage football card collectors. It's supply and demand. No demand ... no high prices.

Here are the top 10 most collected PSA football sets based upon how many collectors have submitted cards to the registry. A rough metric, I know, but interesting:

SET NAME SETS
1955 Topps All-American - Basic 141
1957 Topps - Basic 117
1969 Topps - Basic 106
1959 Topps 93
1972 Topps 88
1955 Bowman 81
1970 Kelloggs 81
1970 Topps - Basic 81
1971 Topps 81
1956 Topps - Basic 77

I never would have guessed this list. I would have said: 1935 National Chicle, 1950 Bowman, 1952 Bowman Large, 1955 Topps AA, 1957 Topps, 1958 Topps, 1968 Topps, 1969 Topps, 1971 Topps, 1972 Topps.

There are 10 baseball sets with 200+ sets on the PSA registry.

jeff
Old 11-28-2015, 09:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...in-nfl-history

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/alltimeoverrated.html

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-28-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:22 AM
Scott Gerace

I agree with the fact that Namath was overrated if you just look at his statistics. But there was more to him than that. Jeff has already mentioned that his signing gave the AFL legitimacy but it was his win in SB III that really put the AFL on an even plane w/ the NFL. The AFL was viewed as a "joke" league until then. The Packers had handily defeated the AFL's representative in the first 2 SB's and the Jets win is still viewed as one of the biggest upsets in sports history.

Also, to compare Namath to Rex Grossman just isn't fair. The offenses run today throw shorter, high percentage passes which lead to high completion percentages and thereby higher passer ratings. The game has changed so much that you really have to compare guys from similar eras to get a fair perspective. Much like in Baseball, it's not fair to compare the ERA of Christy Mathewson to someone who plays today or "Home Run" Baker's league leading totals to a player who started after Ruth came along. Yes Namath had more INT's than TD's but that could be said of many other HoF QB's from the 1970's and prior (before the advent of the West Coast offense). If you want to compare Namath's stats to other players, choose Dawson, Unitas, Starr, Jurgensen, etc...

Namath won a major championship in the most glamorous city during the early years of the boom in professional Football! Namath also has a "what if?" quality attached to him because of his nagging injuries, much like Mantle. People love to speculate. Plus Namath had flair (was always in the company of beautiful women). Also, the 1965 Topps set is very popular. Is it the 1952 Topps Baseball set? Not even close, but Football cards in general aren't currently sought at nearly the same level as their BB counterparts.

Jeff put it best, "it's all about supply and demand" and right now the Namath RC's demand far exceeds it's supply, much like the 1952 Mantle (just not to the same extent).
Old 11-28-2015, 11:39 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

looks like the ladies prefer Joe
Old 11-28-2015, 11:41 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Old 11-28-2015, 12:40 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I just picked up an upgrade '65 Topps Namath RC on eBay, it arrived today Card had an opening bid of $300 or BIN $450 and it went to the final seconds with no bids, until two snipes kicked in. I won it for $392 with free shipping. What was nice is the auction ended during an eBay "5X Bonus Bucks", so I collected $39.20 in eBay bucks and my purchase price "total" $352.80.
The upgrade is nice except for the paper loss on "NEW YORK" on the front. I'm packing up both cards, and sending them off Monday to SGC for grading.
Larry

Old 11-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Mike Dugan

I agree with everything said so far. Pro football really did not take off until the early 60's, while it is romantic to think the 1958 sudden death game was the launching point it was really the competition not only between the NFL and AFL but also the competition between the networks.

Joe Willie was just in the right place at the right time. I am so turned off by the media, especially ESPN that constantly refers to teams "World Championships" referring exclusively to their Super Bowl titles ignoring the pre-66 titles. The Steelers, 49ers and Cowboys are impressive but don't forget the Packers and Bears.

The history is just not celebrated by the media or the "League" like it is in baseball.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:00 PM
Wes

Quote:

Thoughts?

jeff

There will never be another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Jeff

Is Joe Namath overrated - sure.
Is he a HOFer - yes.
Is his significance as much a cause as his play and statistics - absolutely.
He changed football as we know it FOREVER when he won SBIII.

As for the card - never approach the Mantle level simply because the demand will never be there.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 11-28-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Scott Gerace

Default Nice upgrade Larry!

Great upgrade Larry! Your new one has a much better image (brighter/clearer) and reverse. Great price too! Congratulations!
Old 04-25-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASEBALLCARDGURU View Post
I see similarities.
Both Icons,
Both New York Icons.
Joe Namath is now hitting the memorabilia circuit like Mickey Mantle did in the 1980s and 1990s.

Any thoughts on this?

btw I am a long time lurker, and this is my first post.
Quick bump because as pointed out in another thread!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Topps-F...368&rmvSB=true

This is proof that Joe Namath RC has some juice. He owned New York in the 1960s and 1970s.

Last edited by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR; 04-25-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:10 PM

Seems like the Joe Namath rookie card market still has some life since I last posted. lol.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:36 PM
Robert

It for sure is an iconic card.
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 12-24-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR View Post
Quick bump because as pointed out in another thread!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Topps-F...368&rmvSB=true

This is proof that Joe Namath RC has some juice. He owned New York in the 1960s and 1970s.
And Mantle 8.5 sold for 1.135 million dollars. Namath will never be Mantle. Mantle won 7 championships, Namath won 1.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Here is a link to Superbowl III below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW5GnZCxqIw

I think that the Joe Namath RC still has plenty of room to grow. PSA 7 examples are going for $5,000 - $6,000 USD, and that's nothing IMO. If you are going to pick one up, try to get one without the tilt.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2017, 06:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post

I think that the Joe Namath RC still has plenty of room to grow. PSA 7 examples are going for $5,000 - $6,000 USD, and that's nothing IMO. If you are going to pick one up, try to get one without the tilt.

Merry Christmas!
I wouldn't call it nothing. How many other 60s regular issue cards go for that much in a 7? Orr, anyone else?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:55 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post

Merry Christmas!
Just 8 years ago it was a $1500-$2,000 card and stayed in that range for quite a long time. Not sure if the runup is sustainable....but it is an iconic card.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Robert

They are pretty cards Bobby .........here is the one i have

Namath.jpg
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others