NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Default Nick Altrock - Minneapolis Millers Tribune Card

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-Nick-Altrock-Minneapolis-Millers-Tribune-Card_W0QQitemZ310050238555QQihZ021QQcategoryZ86840 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone have any information on this card/premium?

Was it part of a set? How scarce are they. I personally have never seen another one like it.

Jeff

Old 05-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

As a type collector I am keenly aware of esoteric cards. I am also very careful on ones I have never seen before and are on paper stock....I am absolutely not saying this isn't a "card" but paper stock does give me concerns....Sometimes these are more like cut outs than cards....I am not sure about this one...regards

Old 05-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean BH

I've also never seen one of these; but figure it's an insert like M101-2's (but a little smaller), so decided not to bid (not to keen on the paper inserts).

Sean

Old 05-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I was the winner of that one. I agree it's not a card. I think there's a good likelihood that it is a legitimate premium of some type. Previously unknown premium sets seem to show up with a bit more regularity than previously unknown card sets. I thought the price was cheap enough to take the risk. When it arrives, I'll let you know if I learn anything from examining it in person.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

but I'm guessing it's legit. It might be hard to date, because the guy played his first game in 1898 and his last in 1933!!!!!!! Still, Altrock was Mpls Miller pitcher during the 1909-1911 period, when the team was a dynamo, so I suspect it was issued in conjunction with that era and squad. The size is odd for a newspaper premium--5 1/2 by 9 1/2, but as you say, newly discovered premiums seem to pop up every now and then, so I'm leaning hard toward real. Nice one!

Old 05-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I'm leaning towards real too....I just found two cards issued by a potato chip company for the Lincoln Chiefs and I can't find a soul that's ever seen them before. Minor league premiums are still a great untapped area of exploration in this hobby.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

For the record I am fairly sure this is a real item...whether it's a "card" or not could be debated. So far I haven't really collected inserts or paper premiums (though I do have a few).....neat item regardless....

Old 05-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

The Altrock arrived. It is definitely a premium. It's on stock similar to M101-2 premiums, though perhaps even a little more fragile.

I originally thought that it was probably trimmed because of its odd size. But it looks to me like the edge of the next premium is just barely visible along the right edge (look at the dark region along the lower right edge of the premium). The left edge could have been trimmed, but the picture is well centered as is, so I don't think any significant portion of the left edge was trimmed.

I don't know what it is, but I'm listing it as M-Unc 1910-12 Minneapolis Tribune premium.