NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Steve

Default Basic questions / advice for National

So I have the good fortune of being able to attend National this year (my first one) on Saturday and Sunday. I'm pretty excited, as this is the first time I've traveled to a major show in about 10 years.

Would anybody like to chime in and offer some advice for a first time attendee? Any methods for making the most of the two days I have?

My first basic question is how do people go about paying for most transactions? I assume that most transactions are done in cash, and I have the expectation that I'll make a couple larger transactions. Should I bring enough cash to cover them? I haven't written a check in a long time (people still write checks?!), and I doubt that dealers enjoy taking American Express...

Enjoy the weekend,
Steve
Old 07-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Banned

As Samuel Chase once said: Cash is king.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
As Samuel Chase once said: Cash is king.

Nice new avatar! Salmon?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

King salmon.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Barry Sloate

"It's Salman, you idiot, not salmon!"
Old 07-24-2010, 05:44 PM

Steve --as you can see it is sometimes hard for this group to focus. Good Luck.

Sal Bass
Old 07-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Thanks Barry, we've been lacking in the Seinfeld references lately!

Steve, cash is key. Comfortable shoes help, as every booth you'll want to see are on concrete. If you're short on time bring snacks, the food is typically crap. Bring a small notepad, and note the booth number of anything you would remotely consider in coming back to- or chances are you'll never find it. Pick up business cards, if available, and note anything in the booth you are interested in on the back. You'll probably wish you'd picked something up you missed, and it might still be available weeks later.
Saturday is usually nuts, so get there as early as possible. Sunday is getaway day and dealers will be packing up early if they are even still there, so get there early as well and move quickly.
Wear your backpack or whatever you're carrying, or put it between your feet if you stop. I've known 3 people that have had theirs disappear at the show, and that just sucks.
Lastly, have a clear idea of what you're looking for (and your wantlist) but be prepared to find something you weren't looking for- that is the best part of the show.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Carbo-load the night before.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The National starts at 3:30 on Weds; is it busy on the floor then or does it take a while longer before all the dealers have their cards out?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Assuming one eats the food that is served in the convention center does anyone have any idea when the lines might be the shortest?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I've heard anecdotally that the burger and hot dog lines are very long at the show but the tofu and salad lines are a breeze.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Jeff is there a particular brand of shoe or sneaker you recommend for walking the floor?

Old 07-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: gif beerchug.gif (4.0 KB, 329 views)
Old 07-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

How much time should I set aside for stretching before the show opens?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
"It's Salman, you idiot, not salmon!"
Statute, not statue.

Oh, I really think you're wrong.

(Steve, your question was fine. Just bad timing. Looks like tonight Net54 has a substitute teacher in the classroom, and some of the usual suspects -- myself included -- are taking advantage. Just an FYI, there have been a ton of threads on the best ways to enjoy the National. It might be productive to do a search.)

http://www.net54baseball.com/search.php

Last edited by Rob D.; 07-24-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Nice new avatar! Salmon?
It wasn't easy getting rid of the pissant. But it's saved on my desktop.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Steve

Thanks, guys...Rob, no worries, please continue to play while the teacher is away...I mainly wanted to know about the payment methods...figured that cash was it, but wanted to make sure.

Btw, someone mentioned shoes. In all seriousness, everybody should check out MBT shoes. I used to have foot problems while training for marathons (which subsequently gave me back problems...)... After feeling broken and only in my 20's, I turned to MBTs. They are ugly shoes, but are the only way to roll when you're on your feet all day.

Now, back to paper airplanes and spit balls.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
The National starts at 3:30 on Weds; is it busy on the floor then or does it take a while longer before all the dealers have their cards out?
Jeff,

Looking forward to meeting you and others at the National. I don't know about others, but H & S along with most other dealers are setting up on Tuesday. Everything should be up by Wednesday. I will periodically be at the Huggins and Scott booth, but will also be moping around. This is my first National and I hope not to spend my meager allowance by the first day!

James

Last edited by Orioles1954; 07-24-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Jim VB

Steve,

I'll attempt to be serious for a second, but it's really not my strong suit. Cash is the way to get the best deals. Most dealers will figure out a way to do credit cards, but they hate it, for a variety of reasons. One, there's the fee to the bank for credit card usage. Two, there's that nasty paper trail which causes them to collect, and pay, local sales taxes. Three, there's still that nasty paper trail that forces them to declare the sale as "revenue."

I've heard rumors that some dealers are willing to go to great lengths to minimize the "revenue" they receive. Cash isn't always "revenue." Often, it's just "walking around money."

Anyway, they're just rumors.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:21 AM
John

Here is another general question:
As far as pre-war cards and memorabilia, what percentage of tables/dealers would you say are not eBayers? Will we be pleased to see new material that has not been listed as BIN on eBay for months and months?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Steve,

I'll attempt to be serious for a second, but it's really not my strong suit.
So I've noticed.

Good point on the paper trail...I'm sure most dealers would like to report zero income every year... Haha
Old 07-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The IRS actually pays informants to snitch on tax cheats. It never ceases to amaze me how arrogant some card dealers and other part-time sellers are; it would take a phone call from one aggrieved customer to the IRS to have the dealer painfully investigated by the IRS for their easily-discovered fraud.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:26 AM
D.B. Cooper

If anybody walks up to you with a Fireside T-208 in 5+ condition duct-taped to their forehead and starts speaking to you in plural, run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Specimen$10000bill.jpg (64.2 KB, 232 views)
Old 07-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
If anybody walks up to you with a Fireside T-208 in 5+ condition duct-taped to their forehead and starts speaking to you in plural, run.

Hey! Isn't that Hal Chase on that $10,000 bill?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Barry Sloate

Not Hal, but his uncle Samuel.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Jeff

There is some sage advice buried in this thread; wear comfortable shoes, take notes, plan on spending more than you think and steer clear of the food that is sold there. I have never had trouble writing a check. Of course if you have a wallet full of money orders (all under $10,000 of course) you should do just fine as well.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default as far as paying

As far as paying for cards at the National, I will echo others' sentiments. I usually bring a wad of greenbacks and then a checkbook for the "just in case" situations. When I sell I will take cash or a check, if the person giving the check has some relevence about them. (that last statement is what I call the "warm fuzzy" factor). I almost always wear a T-shirt, shorts and good sneakers. And the best advice is to not eat too much food at the show. Maybe a hot dog to get you by but I would not eat a whole lot....or you might not have a nice night ......regards
Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

What about using numerous small denomination money orders to pay for the cards you buy?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
What about using numerous small denomination money orders to pay for the cards you buy?
Of course if anyone wants to pay in $1 or $5 money orders, those are accepted too. Nothing above a $10 one though, I wouldn't want to alert anyone!!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Here is another general question:
As far as pre-war cards and memorabilia, what percentage of tables/dealers would you say are not eBayers? Will we be pleased to see new material that has not been listed as BIN on eBay for months and months?

John- that's a good question. At past Nationals I noticed lots of dealers with cards which had never found their way to ebay or the BST, but in the past few years, that number seems to be shrinking as 707, Shoebox Cards, MW cards and others have started listing entire pre-war inventories on ebay with BINs. I'd say the two exceptions are: 1) the cards that "wander" in to the National and are purchased by sellers to "flip," most of which have never seen the light of ebay or auction and 2) there are still some dealers who have cards for sale and have never used the internet to try and sell them, although as I said earlier, that number is decreasing.
tbob