NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Default 33 goudey hornsby autographed card

Posted By: dennis

now that this auction is over i thought i would post about what a beautiful autographed card this is. congrats, anybody here the winner? and also,post your autographed goudeys if you have any.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Indeed - nicest I've seen. The 2nd nicest signed Goudey I've seen was sold by a board member a few months ago; it was a Hubbell signed in Blue Sharpie.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I discussed this card a little bit on my website and I will elaborate more here. I truly enjoy collecting pre-WWI signed cards, particularly signed T206 cards, and found this one very tempting. I strongly considered expanding my signed card collection into the 1930s with this one, but a few things held me back:

1. There is apparently a fairly decent sized hole in this card where the Goudey trademark was placed on the lower right. This is only clearly visible upon clicking the image for a larger view. I would have jumped at this one for $500-$600 in that condition, but I felt like I would be outbid by someone who didn't see the hole and relied instead on the seller's "very good" description.

2. If I start collecting signed Goudeys as well as signed pre-WWI cards, my budget would have to grow eponentially since there are so many more of them out there than signed T206 cards. The last surviving T206er was Marquard, who died in 1980 and I feel like that creates a comfortable cutoff in terms of difficulty in obtaining a signature on a card. Are there still any 1933 Goudey players alive? When did the last one pass away?

3. This isn't the nicest 33 Goudey I've seen signed -- I know of a beautiful Grove; and in that same collection also resides a 33 Hornsby, so it isn't all that rare or at least not unique.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for my blog, interviews, articles, card galleries and more!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

My signed Goudey:

Old 01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

WOW

Old 01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Oh yes, you've shown that beauty before. I suppose that's a much sweeter one than the Grove I saw... Indeed!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for my blog, interviews, articles, card galleries and more!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

David, I'd take that over a signed Gehrig ball anyday. Great card.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

David,
That signed Gerhig is awesome!
Jimb

Old 01-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Donaldson

Here's my auto Goudey.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Cline - RC

I will 2nd that "Wow!", that Gehrig is an amazing card.

RC

Old 01-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: larry

the same card in a GAI holder sold for $1725 on August 7,2005. Seller lost $725 + PSA fees.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Much, much cheaper and more plentiful than the others shown, but I won this HOFer in a Mike Gutierrez auction a few years back.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

and sold to my buddy HRBaker here who had it slabbed..........

Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Only way to guarantee authenticity I suppose...

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 01-09-2008, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: sean

no ruth or gehrig but got some toughies. anyone wanna see anymore lemme know

Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Wow! I love that Whitehill! The Cuyler is nice too, but I've seen another one. I have never seen a Whitehill. There were TWO Tommy Thevenow's on eBay within a few weeks of each other. He died in 1957, but I've seen three or four. I've seen a John Quinn (D. 46), Johnny Welch (D. 40), but the best one I've ever owned personally was an Ed Brandt (D. 44). My vote for the most beautiful 33 is one of Eddie Collins that traded hands about twenty times at one Ft. Washington show! Runner-up is a perfect Tris Speaker--never seen another one.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Administrator

I actually have 2 brandts. Ill post them tonight. I havea thevenow but its trimmed. The best ive seen are welch, lazerri, and quinn

Old 01-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Oh yeah, I think I've seen that Lazzeri too. And I forgot to mention I actually saw an Earl Clark signed. He died in 1938. Without looking, I'm fairly certain that Clark is the earliest death in the set, so it's pretty remarkable that even one card was signed.

Also, I have seen a few good Ruth's from both 33 and 34. The last one sold for something in the $15K range. It was a gorgeous signature, and the card itself was pretty nice for a signed example. There are beat-up 33 Gehrigs (blue background, batting) that has made the rounds for many years now. One is signed in pencil, and one is the Canadian version.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Am i correct that there are none still alive?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old 01-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Paul - not sure about the 1933 Goudey set but I believe Bill Werber is still alive who was in the '34 Goudey set.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Administrator

I think Jon is right, but I have not double checked.

I knew the last dozen or so players, and interviewed all of them in their homes. All were real gentlemen. Werber, who turns 100 this year, lost a leg to diabetes while in his 90's. He must have an incredible immune system, as, despite such a risky operation at an advanced age, he is still with us, and even went on to write a book following the surgery! Werber has always been a great signer and very, very cordial in his correspondence. Glad he's still kicking.

Players featured in the Playball sets are also all but gone. As with the Goudey players, I think I met the last fifteen or so of the living players. Again, all were wonderful to spend the day with. All were grateful just to be remembered, and their eyes lit up whenever I would show them the "Vintage Baseball Cards" book which featured their cards. Thankfully, I had all of them sign the book, and did have a few actual cards to get signed here and there. I will never let go of them.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Jodi -- pardon my ignorance, but can you let us know the details surrounding these interviews? You wrote a book? Do tell, thanks.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Isn't Lonnie Frey, from the '34 Goudey set, still alive?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Administrator

I have written rough drafts for two books, but life has been so hectic over the last 15 years that I haven't had time to go back and edit. Yes, I have interviewed all those players, as well as over 100 more. Only a few are still with us, unfortunately. Talking with the guys who played back in the 1920's-50's, it is easy to see why I have ZERO interest in the modern-day game. Nearly all of the men I interviewed were true gentlemen and a pleasure to be around. I interviewed players in trailer parks, mansions, cars, restaurants, and even found one walking around a city park! Often times, the "story behind the story" was much more interesting than the actual interview. Other times, a player might say, "Well, I don't think I have anything interesting to tell you", then floor me with stories that none of us knew about! One of these days I'll get my act together and publish something. I find it very disillusioning that books like these have been "done to death", however, so that probably explains why I haven't done more with the material. I have ideas on how to "freshen up" what to me has become a fairly stale genre, though. Danny Peary found a way to revitalize the movement several years back--unfortunately, we interviewed many of the same men within months of each other, and he was more committed to his project than I was to mine. I was still in school at the time, so I guess you could say that my writings had to be placed on the back burner. Such is life. Incidentally, T206Collector's current undertaking has been an idea of mine for the past fifteen years, but he beat me to it! He has done very well with his interviews, and I commend him for it.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Yes, Lonny is still alive. I have visited him twice in Idaho--one of my favorites! Just a class act. The last time I saw him, he told me that he had had a stroke. He didn't realize it at the time, so he simply "went to bed" for three days!!! He felt fine when he woke up--the doctors are still shaking their heads at that one!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Meaningless, but nonetheless interesting, fact about Werber and Frey, is that these surviving ironmen played together in the same infield for some years

"The talented quartet that made up the Cincinnati infield in the late 1930s and early 1940s included first baseman McCormick, second baseman Lonnie Frey, shortstop Billy Meyers, and third baseman Billy Werber. The colorful Werber dubbed them the "Jungle Club" and christened McCormick as "Wildcat" Frey as "Leopard," Meyers as "Jaguar" and himself "Tiger." "

Old 01-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Werber is also the last surviving teammate of Babe Ruth, the first Duke All-American in basketball and the first player to appear on TV during a live game.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I've got a couple.

-Al

Old 01-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: whammons

This is my first post, so I hope it works.

Photobucket

Old 01-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Jodi - was the '34 Ruth the World Wide Gum version or a different card (Ruth did not have a '34 Goudey)?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

As someone who has never been particularly interested in autographs ---a few years ago I was playing one hole behind Willie Mays at Harding Golf Course out here in San Francisco, got his autograph at the turn, and then gave it to my sister (and I'm a big Giants fan) --- I gotta admit that they look absolutely fantastic on the '33 Goudeys. Autographs often visually blend into modern photo cards, and, to me at least, they seem to overwhelm the smaller tobacco cards, but the size and vivid colors of the Goudeys really make the autograph stand out. Thanks to all who shared their images. Very cool.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Administrator

hi paul,

Gus Suhr was the last to die in 2004. Whats interesting is that there are 146 cards in the set that represent players that died before 1980 so there are a lot of tough ones.
By the way, I have 116 of the 120 players that died since 1974. If anyone has the following four, I have lots to trade:
Luke Sewell (standing)
Hod Lisenbee
George Davis
Rube Walberg

My fave is larry beton:

Heres what I did through out the 90's sent in to willis hudlin:

Old 01-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Administrator

hey jodi,
I actually had the same idea back in 1992. I went out to florida to meet tony cuccinello and al lopez and was gonna try to do a book like the glory of their times. Unfor. Tony got sick and went to the hospital and I couldnt visit him and I gave up on the idea You should publish your stuff!

Old 01-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Sorry, it was the 1933 Goudey (batting) for Ruth. I'm not a card guy--I seem to recall from my card-collecting days it was #133--is that correct? I have enough to remember in regards to autographs and have not kept up my card knowledge in many years.

Sean, I have seen your Bottomley at least twice over the years. The Benton also looks familiar, though I am less certain of that fact.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator

those two were bought from gar miller over 20 years ago alogn with a few others. I have seen all 4 ruths and both gehrigs (and lajoie too). In fact, I have seen every hall of famer in this set signed which leads me to believe it is possible to get a complete set

Old 01-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Jodi - no problem - I just knew of a gentleman looking for a WWG signed Ruth and I ahd never heard of one existing so thought you may have seen one.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Administrator

That's right, Halper had the Lajoie. I guess all of our opinions as to "the most striking 1933 Goudey" are rendered moot by its very existence! I have never physically seen that one, though. Just photos of said.

On closer inspection, I have never seen that Bottomley. Sorry--photo is kinda small--I should have looked closer. The only authentic Bottomley I have physically viewed was signed "JBottomley", as was his custom when in a rush.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Administrator

...a signed 1933 Goudey set is PLENTY difficult to complete. I certainly recognize that there are a whole boat load of players that died pre-1980. But coupled with the ability to get numerous copies of signed ones by players who died much more recently -- in a time when getting autographs on cards really came into vogue -- makes signed Goudeys less appealing to me. I guess they just become less of a bridge to a bygone era for me, since I don't consider the 1980's or 1990's particularly bygone. When I started collecting T206 cards 10 years ago, the idea that I could even consider getting a signed one seemed totally foreign. However, growing up I had seen Gehringer, among others, sign his 1933 Goudey card at shows in White Plains, my back yard. It just didn't seem so other-worldly.

But I do have a very strong affinity for your 1933 signed Goudey cards -- frankly, all of them shown here are quite beautiful. And I am seriously thinking about expanding my horizons a little bit into the present. I guess I am also content with the natural budget limitations collecting more scarce cards creates.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old 01-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean C

I have a few more coming in on Friday, but here is the only one I have in hand so far:

I have a couple of others here that I haven't scanned yet (Combs being the best of the bunch), along with scanned copies of 1934 Goudey cards of Paul Waner and Ernie Lombardi, and 1935 Diamond Stars cards of Hank Greenberg and Jim Bottomley.