NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-28-2014, 10:39 AM

Default 1967 minnie rojas variations

I think the two cards shown here are the blue gray variation. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140928_122747.jpg (73.2 KB, 194 views)
Old 09-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Al Richter

Default Minnie

Yes, and the blue uniform version always has a bluer light stand above and around his cap
Old 09-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Keith

Default Not a Variation, Sorry

Sorry, but this is simply a result of shifting ink densities on press, not a true variation, or even a printing error.

Throughout the press run, ink flow must be calibrated to maintain consistent application to the sheet. Both examples show the extremes of not enough cyan ink (what you refer to as the gray variation) and too much cyan ink (resulting in the overall heavy blue tinting).

Its very easy to see in the word ANGELS. Those letters are made up of a mix of yellow and cyan inks. See the difference in tin due to the excess blue ink?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:20 AM
Al Richter

Default Variation

Ok, now you have stepped in it Keith , you now have to give us your definition of a "true variation". Does it include the 58 Herrer and 57 Bakep, or the 52 Campos/House cards ?

I agree this is not a variation , which is what I call a card that was intentionally changed by the manufacturer for any reason ( this would, for me, include cropping or other differences in DP cards like the 52 Mantle or the 62 green tints, since they resulted from conscious decisions about how to set up the print runs).

But some of us collect what I would call variants, which are just cards that are in some way , any way, different from their counterparts. Recurring print defects are one example, like the border irregularity that occurs in some of the 52 Snider cards or the Campos partially missing front border. And if someone takes the view that any difference in a card, for any reason, is a variation, what official hobby rule book says they are wrong

Even if this card is not a variation, or a recurring print defect, it can still be a recurring variant. You can easily find both versions of this card...and there are differences

Wanted to add that Keith makes some of the finest "cards that never were".... and I have a bunch of them. And, like Steve, a go to guy for me on questions about the printing processes involving baseball cards

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-29-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Steve Birmingham

Cards like this are a bit of a puzzle.

Pretty much all Topps cards have differences in color for a variety of reasons.

Over/underinked on one or more colors is certainly one of the first things I think of.
As is a slight misregistration. If magenta and cyan are supposed to overlap to make purple and are a tiny bit off, the purple looks more reddish purple.

it can also look reddish purple if the Magenta is overinked.

The plate can be overexposed or overdeveloped, making the dots larger (Very slightly, but it affects the perceived color)

The ink can be mixed differently. This happens less the more they go with a strict CMYK. 70's cards can have different mixes, I don't think the current stuff can.
Different shadings of the cardstock surface can affect color.
As can the slight glosscoat if it darkens with age.

Then there's a whole group of cards I haven't figured out yet.

If there's a misfeed, the blanket can get two impressions. Differing pressure somewhere can make these be slightly off. Mimicking overinking. It can also happen during adjustment of the registration. Some dark blue cards show clear doubling of the dots like I'd expect when this happens.

The problem is that doubling of that sort is not common. Misfeeds don't happen all that regularly, and adjustment is only a few sheets. Even going with a high speed web press adjustment cards would only be a tiny portion of production.

But these darker doubled cards are actually really common, usually around a 50/50 mix or close to it.

I think it's possible for the plate to get a bit of double exposure if it's moved slightly.
Or maybe by something in the screening process?
Or.........?????????

So are they misprints? Print errors? Simple variants caused by the adjustments of whoever was running the press that day?

And if a card is 50/50 dark and light, is it because they did multiple runs? If for instance they print a full run of cards for the preorders, then make new plates and do a run to cover later additional orders, and one was inked more heavily than the other for the entire run. How to classify that?

A prime example from new stuff is the new GQ and A+G usually have two different cardstocks. One is white. The other slightly off white. Some cards maybe all Come both ways. And have for a few years. Once I started paying attention, I tried to find a pattern. Were either from a particular product? No, I found both in both hobby and retail, and in "wax" blaster boxes, and jumbo packs. So I started looking as I opened packs figuring it was early and late print runs. Nope! Both could be found in the same pack.

My current idea is that it's related to shortprints and whether the unusual ones were printed alongside the shortprints. Which would make them shortprints as well. I suspect a bit of sorting will prove that wrong too.

Whatever they're called if someone collects and studies them that's ok. I sort of do, but don't really put any premium on it. If I spot one in a boxful I'm buying from I might buy one of each, or just whichever one seems odd at the moment. I don't think they're an appropriate addition to a formal master set. If someone wants nothing to do with it I totally get that. Why have 2-3 or more complete sets with some slight common difference? That would take up a LOT of space.

Steve B
Old 09-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Keith

Default Big Question!

Al, you raise a real big question on this, and it's a good one.

The bottom line is that everyone has their own definition of what a variation is. Some folks think wrongbacks are variations, or even slight print defects due to dust on the press. And that's fine. There can be as much latitude as the hobby wants as long as there is an appetite to pay a premium for it.

My "personal" belief is that a variation truly must be a "variant" meaning there are intentional varieties created by human hands in the production process.

A few legitimate variation examples:

1. A design error that is caught on press and requires the job to have new film and/or plates created to correct the error. Examples: 1979 Topps Bump Wills, 1989 Upper Deck Dale Murphy, 1969 Topps Twins Rookies, 1982 Fleer Littlefield, 1969 Topps white letters, 1958 Topps yellow letters. Most variants likely fall into this category.

2. A printing error that is caught on press and fixed by the pressman, but does not require new film and/or plates. Usually this means removing something from the plates by "stoning it off" or masking it out. Possible examples: 1952 Topps Campos, 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken, 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson, 1957 Topps Mantle with ghost, 1982 Topps George Foster All Star with auto.

3. A printing error likely resulting from using "make ready" sheets (test sheets) that have something incomplete or missing, yet make their way into the final press run along with the variant corrected by the pressman on press. Examples: 1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF, 1982 Topps Blackless, 1988 Topps one-color backs.

Then, there are what I call "anomalies". Anomalies are things that happen during a press run and likely correct themselves in the process of running a hundred thousand sheets over the course of a day or two. Offset printing is a very fluid process requiring lots of QC checks along the way to maintain ink density, plate endurance, ink registration, blanket endurance, and general cleanliness.

As sheets move through the press all these things have to be monitored, but there are always anomalies occurring along the way and this accounts for many of the cards we consider variations today. There are multiple versions, but no one intentionally created them or even realized they occurred.

Some examples of anomalies:

1. When one ink runs low (or out), you can get massive color shifts that correct as the press is re-inked. Usually there is a range of color loss that can be seen on many cards. Possible examples: 1980 Topps letter color variations

2. When debris gets on the blanket, it can obscure content that should be printed until the debris is cleaned off or works its own way off and then the image is no longer obstructed. Usually there will be dozens of nuances in the anomaly as the debris works its way around and then off the roller. Possible examples: 1958 Topps Herrer, 1957 Topps Bakep, assorted border breaks, ghost marks, white blotches, and missing letters.

3. When the blanket breaks down and leaves areas unprinted or printing poorly. This requires the blanket (and possibly press plate) to be changed out to correct the problem, but usually many many sheets have run through the press before its detected. This could cause some of the same anomalies as debris, but it's usually a larger defect. Possible examples: 1986 Topps Clemens, Seaver, 1982 Topps Pascual Perez no auto (could be a true variation though), 1952 Topps House (a crushed blanket may have obscured the application of red ink evenly)

Then there are those variations that defy definition or known origin. It's hard to know how they occurred or were corrected. They are clearly not anomalies, but didn''t seem to merit entirely new film for a plate change. Among this group of oddballs I'd include 1962 Topps Green Tints, 1956 Topps Ted Williams, and possibly the 1952 Topps Frank House.

Sorry to ramble, but hopefully this is a good framework for how I'd classify errors, variations and anomalies according to how they occurred, the intnetion in creating the variant, and the manner in which offset printing works and just creates variants on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Ok, now you have stepped in it Keith , you now have to give us your definition of a "true variation". Does it include the 58 Herrer and 57 Bakep, or the 52 Campos/House cards ?

I agree this is not a variation , which is what I call a card that was intentionally changed by the manufacturer for any reason ( this would, for me, include cropping or other differences in DP cards like the 52 Mantle or the 62 green tints, since they resulted from conscious decisions about how to set up the print runs).

But some of us collect what I would call variants, which are just cards that are in some way , any way, different from their counterparts. Recurring print defects are one example, like the border irregularity that occurs in some of the 52 Snider cards or the Campos partially missing front border. And if someone takes the view that any difference in a card, for any reason, is a variation, what official hobby rule book says they are wrong

Even if this card is not a variation, or a recurring print defect, it can still be a recurring variant. You can easily find both versions of this card...and there are differences

Wanted to add that Keith makes some of the finest "cards that never were".... and I have a bunch of them. And, like Steve, a go to guy for me on questions about the printing processes involving baseball cards
Old 09-30-2014, 03:42 PM
Al Richter

Smile Variants

Great input as usual Keith. Thanks for all the good info and insights
Old 09-30-2014, 08:40 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by con40 View Post
Then there are those variations that defy definition or known origin. It's hard to know how they occurred or were corrected. They are clearly not anomalies, but didn''t seem to merit entirely new film for a plate change. Among this group of oddballs I'd include 1962 Topps Green Tints, 1956 Topps Ted Williams, and possibly the 1952 Topps Frank House.
I thought the 62 Green Tints were all cropped slightly differently that the non-green tints. Wouldn't this make them legitimate variations?

Thanks,

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 09-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Al Richter

Default Green Tints

The changed poses are definite variations. And you are right Andy, that there are noticeable cropping differences as well as the tinting differences on the same pose cards. I think that was a result of a second printing company producing them and thus they are similar to the 56 and 63 DP differences George Vrechek has written about. I consider them real variations. Although the differences may not have been "intended", they resulted from intentional set ups of the printing process itself

But that is just me and as I mentioned there is no formal hobby definition of a varition that I know about. I think everyone is entitled to their own view and there is no on right or wrong

Keith -you mentioned the 57 Mantle. Are you aware of any examples where the little guy is not partially brushed out, or is completely gone ? I have seen what I think are different degrees of his presence.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-01-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Keith

Default 62 Green Tints are Odd!

You're tight that 19622 Green Tints have some that are clearly variations because the photo is different, but there are others where its just a difference in color separation. Those are hard to categorize. Best guess on my part is that they did re-strip the film and do new plates. Stripping was done by hand back then, so it would have been impossible to make an exact duplicate if the film was re-stripped. Things would be off in some way. Then, depending on how the color separation is done and how each plate is exposed, you can lose or gain certain colors in the image. I suppose that the "green" cards were the first run and it was rejected by the art director at some point, so the printer re-stripped new film and made new plates to fix the problem resulting in the non-green tint cards.

Does anyone know this for sure? I'd love to know the story behind those. Were they done in two print shops? Or possibly just two print runs from different film and plates in the same shop?

Al, I don't own that card but have seen many examples where the guy is visible to different degrees, though not completely, and others where he is virtually gone. My assumption is that the pressman kept "etching" the four color plates. This process allows the ink to stick to the plate in areas that are etched putting more ink on the sheet. They probably kept stopping the press and etching a bit more and a bit more until someone was satisfied that the guy was dark enough. The run between etchings would have been hundreds of sheets at a minimum, so that would explain why it can be found easily with so many differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
The changed poses are definite variations. And you are right Andy, that there are noticeable cropping differences as well as the tinting differences on the same pose cards. I think that was a result of a second printing company producing them and thus they are similar to the 56 and 63 DP differences George Vrechek has written about. I consider them real variations. Although the differences may not have been "intended", they resulted from intentional set ups of the printing process itself

But that is just me and as I mentioned there is no formal hobby definition of a variation that I know about. I think everyone is entitled to their own view and there is no on right or wrong

Keith -you mentioned the 57 Mantle. Are you aware of any examples where the little guy is not partially brushed out, or is completely gone ? I have seen what I think are different degrees of his presence.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Al Richter

Default 1962

Keith

This is what I was referring in saying two printing companies may have been involved

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWw&cad=rja
Old 10-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Bi11..R0berts

I did not read Al's link. But I think the story goes that Topps was expecting a lot of demand for the cards and outsourced some printing to meet expected demand to a second company that was not a regular source. The GT's originate from that source. Keith, I'm 99% certain that there is cropping differences on all GT's - on a few though it's very tough to spot.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 10-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Al Richter

Default 1962

I think the source of what Bill has heard is the link. And as far as I know,there are cropping differences on each same pose green tint. Darren is the expert on that. I think it has been reported that PSA has been reluctant to to note the green tints on slabs because if you are looking at just one card at a time they can be hard to differentiate at times. I think that is true . If they had Darren's comparison scans, it would be easy. Bartsch has reported in SCD recently that they will be running an article on the green tints, maybe that will help. Hope Darren has had some input on it.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-01-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Keith

Default Makes Sense

Bill, if there were two distinct print runs with two sets of film stripped then most likely there would be some variation for every green tint card since stripping cannot be done identically due to the nature of handwork involved.

So, to revise my initial post on where these fit in the scheme of variations and anomalies, perhaps they should all be classified as true variations, though with the slightest of differences in some cases.

Thanks for the link Al, that was an interesting article, though it didn;t quite close the case on where the green tints originated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
I did not read Al's link. But I think the story goes that Topps was expecting a lot of demand for the cards and outsourced some printing to meet expected demand to a second company that was not a regular source. The GT's originate from that source. Keith, I'm 99% certain that there is cropping differences on all GT's - on a few though it's very tough to spot.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Al Richter

Default Minnie Rojas

Agreed Keith; stuff about the history of Topps is hardly ever clear cut

It is too bad Minnie Rojas died several years ago. He might have been amused by this thread "about him"

Apologies to the OP for the sidetrack, but after all you started it