NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

'56 Mantle PSA 7 - Paid $2,050 - Same lexus1584 ID
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-topps-...p2047675.l2557
Old 04-25-2018, 05:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Shows as relisted.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Shows as relisted.
Yea...very odd....the winning bidder never paid....they jacked it up to a super high price with no bites....now it's in Candiman's auction.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Yea...very odd....the winning bidder never paid....they jacked it up to a super high price with no bites....now it's in Candiman's auction.
But Candi was the winning bidder.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:56 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Possible reason for this......

Quote:
But Candi was the winning bidder.
With many people using VCP and the new psa auction tool - if eBay auctions close with artificially inflated prices it could make it look like the price for any particular card is skewing up and "encourage" a current bidder to consider bidding more than they otherwise would.

Last edited by hcv123; 04-26-2018 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:15 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
With many people using VCP and the new psa auction tool - if eBay auctions close with artificially inflated prices it could make it look like the price for any particular card is skewing up and "encourage" a current bidder to consider bidding more than they otherwise would.
Nothing new here...this is exactly what happened when the manipulators drove up the prices of high grade rookies 1-2 years ago.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:38 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Nothing new here...this is exactly what happened when the manipulators drove up the prices of high grade rookies 1-2 years ago.
....which some cards still haven't come down from....some have....but Clemente stayed up there.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:54 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
....which some cards still haven't come down from....some have....but Clemente stayed up there.
not as sky high...but yes...the manipulators succeeded!
Old 04-26-2018, 07:57 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
not as sky high...but yes...the manipulators succeeded!
They usually do because of the large amount of collectors who only care about the stuff. It is happening all the time, a few sellers rely on it.

This last manipulation on high end cards was huge though. Usually it is just a specific card or a specific feature like centering or sharp corners.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

NM
return
EX
and from here?

http://candimanauctions.com/Jackie_R..._-LOT3659.aspx

Old 04-27-2018, 01:01 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:

The scan I saw from the buyer looked like it was a VG card.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The scan I saw from the buyer looked like it was a VG card.
Third auction.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:26 AM
Jeff F0y

My experience:

I tend to try to see the good in people, and try to give the benefit of the doubt, so given the situation that Daniel presented in the other thread, I decided to give him a chance. I did not want to be reckless or foolish, so I planned to bid on 1 card at a price point of a couple hundred dollars as a "test". My assumption was that it would probably grade a point or so lower than the stated grade, and that I would probably lose a little but not much of my investment. The card I won was listed as NMMT.
Here is the sequence of events that I experienced:

3/11: received my invoice
3/16: check marked received on the website
3/28: Still no tracking # sent and no card received. I emailed Daniel, and he replied that he would have tracking the next day
3/29: Tracking # received
4/08: received the card (I had been out of town, so I'm not sure what day it actually arrived)

Upon opening the package, I immediately noticed 2 major flaws in the card- wax staining on the front, and a large bend that was both visible and palpable. These issues were not minor. They didn't require a loop, good lighting, or a magnifying glass, and are the kind of flaws that should have been readily obvious to the person assigning the grade. Instead of NMMT, this card would be probably a 3 or 3.5(st)

4/08- I emailed Daniel with my concern, and asked for how he would like to proceed
4/09- I received an email from Daniel asking me to send pictures, as he didn't recall such flaws in the card
4/09- I sent pictures

4/16- Still no reply from Daniel, so I emailed him again stating that I sent the pics but never heard back

4/28- I still haven't heard back. At this point, I've just counted this as a total loss and am moving on. I just wanted to share this experience, and hope that others have better experiences than I did. Despite the negative outcome, I don't regret giving him the chance-- I don't regret trying to see the good. However, because of this experience I will not be bidding in anymore of their auctions.

Jeff

Last edited by cardcountry; 04-28-2018 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:30 AM
Robert Williams

Thank you for sharing Jeff. Your experience is typical of the various stunts I have seen that these hooligans pull (not counting in-house shill bidding which was MY personal experience with these guys). Unfortunately, in this hobby we all know and love, the different between a NM/MT and a VG card is OBSCENELY HUGE. These scoundrels prey on that monetary difference, and prey on people's greed. In my opinion, there is no place for these guys in the hobby, but apparently they are here to stay in one form or another. The best we can do is educate one another and not deal with them.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 04-28-2018 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:39 AM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcountry View Post
My experience:

I tend to try to see the good in people, and try to give the benefit of the doubt, so given the situation that Daniel presented in the other thread, I decided to give him a chance. I did not want to be reckless or foolish, so I planned to bid on 1 card at a price point of a couple hundred dollars as a "test". My assumption was that it would probably grade a point or so lower than the stated grade, and that I would probably lose a little but not much of my investment. The card I won was listed as NMMT.
Here is the sequence of events that I experienced:

3/11: received my invoice
3/16: check marked received on the website
3/28: Still no tracking # sent and no card received. I emailed Daniel, and he replied that he would have tracking the next day
3/29: Tracking # received
4/08: received the card (I had been out of town, so I'm not sure what day it actually arrived)

Upon opening the package, I immediately noticed 2 major flaws in the card- wax staining on the front, and a large bend that was both visible and palpable. These issues were not minor. They didn't require a loop, good lighting, or a magnifying glass, and are the kind of flaws that should have been readily obvious to the person assigning the grade. Instead of NMMT, this card would be probably a 3 or 3.5(st)

4/08- I emailed Daniel with my concern, and asked for how he would like to proceed
4/09- I received an email from Daniel asking me to send pictures, as he didn't recall such flaws in the card
4/09- I sent pictures

4/16- Still no reply from Daniel, so I emailed him again stating that I sent the pics but never heard back

4/28- I still haven't heard back. At this point, I've just counted this as a total loss and am moving on. I just wanted to share this experience, and hope that others have better experiences than I did. Despite the negative outcome, I don't regret giving him the chance-- I don't regret trying to see the good. However, because of this experience I will not be bidding in anymore of their auctions.

Jeff
Thanks for the update, Jeff. Would you say the listing pic was photoshopped as well?
Old 04-28-2018, 08:01 AM
Peter Spaeth

If the brothers ever show up here again, and I think it's increasingly unlikely, they've got some explaining to do.

I suspect there are others with stories similar to Ed's and Jeff's and that these are not aberrations.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:06 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Fair warning

Can't say that Peter wasn't spot on from the beginning.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Frank, appreciate the kind words but quite a few folks raised concerns from the outset, not just me.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:23 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Frank, appreciate the kind words but quite a few folks raised concerns from the outset, not just me.
Thanks for being frank with Frank, Frank.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 04-28-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:04 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

What gets me is the sanctimonious come on to Net54 members that they wished to make amends for the larcenous deeds of their felonious parents and, guess what, they going to do it by running auctions of baseball cards in a clean orderly fashion. Right, of course.
I am sure there is long tradition of "second chance" in America, just ask Bill Clinton, so I confess I listened and thought; give them a chance, see what happens in their auction and its' aftermath, never actually intending to bid.
I wonder now at last if the Battle clan will finally fold their tent and ride off to the Badlands.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:14 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
What gets me is the sanctimonious come on to Net54 members that they wished to make amends for the larcenous deeds of their felonious parents and, guess what, they going to do it by running auctions of baseball cards in a clean orderly fashion. Right, of course.
I am sure there is long tradition of "second chance" in America, just ask Bill Clinton, so I confess I listened and thought; give them a chance, see what happens in their auction and its' aftermath, never actually intending to bid.
I wonder now at last if the Battle clan will finally fold their tent and ride off to the Badlands.
Mentioned before, but the Candimen could be their own parents.

With all the holes in their various back stories, how is one to know the size of their army on the cardboard battlefield. Candiman et al could be a solo operation or a family reunion or simply the gang that couldn’t shoot straight from Dothan (or Little Rock, or Houston, or Montgomery).

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 04-29-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
To me that was a red flag right off the bat -- I mean whatever you thought of your parents, would you really trash them on a public forum? It seemed so calculated and cynical.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:50 PM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Mentioned before, but the Candimen could be their own parents.
This. I honestly never believed it was anyone different than themselves. They were probably just smart enough to know that it will look like it was their parents, because they were in high school when they started. I've seen or read nothing to dissuade me of that belief. It was as simple as them not being able to use PayPal because of their many shenanigans, and having to find a new space to sell their inventory.

Last edited by npa589; 04-29-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:01 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Thanks for being frank with Frank, Frank.
Frank, I'm always frank, being Frank that is. So Frank, thanks. Frank.

Candi-fields-batlle-man, frankly, have never been frank with us like Frank and Frank have. Frankly, Frank, we should do our best to show them that they have no place in this Hobby. And I say that very frankly, Frank. Best, Frank.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

You guys should stick to medicine and leave humor to the rest of us.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:22 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
To me that was a red flag right off the bat -- I mean whatever you thought of your parents, would you really trash them on a public forum? It seemed so calculated and cynical.
Based on their history, and what we've just witnessed in their first auction, I am not surprised they'd trash their parents on a public forum. They seem like textbook sociopaths, who would throw their own grandmother under the bus if it helped them make a buck.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Out of order and overruled.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:49 PM
Jeff Lar.son

I'm not even sure the brothers are both involved. I could be wrong, but I suspect this may all be Daniel. I wouldn't be surprised if his parents have no idea about any of this.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:48 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Medicine

Quote:
Peter, the way things are going right now in medicine, we need a good laugh.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:33 PM

Apparently they have yet another ebay user name.... siayuotlluf_2

I am waiting the 2 cards i got...nothing big two 59 commens they appear to be in good condition...but i figured i would add yet another user name to their thread. Candiman was the shipped from bama... etc..etc
Old 05-11-2018, 12:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Anaheim this time instead of Little Rock is listed as the location of the cards. Another "friend" perhaps.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-11-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:50 PM

To provide some clarity.

I do not have an issue....with them...I had a bad experience with Battlefield but it was just one experience...did not cost me a crap ton..... but I just like to keep this forum updated...

Yes do have tracking and payment Info...it all points to being Candiman... it shows the label was created in Cali....shipped from Bama the same locations...I don't want to provide the tracking number..but it was shipped quickly. That is not to say this is a bad thing.. And they don't take payment...the UserID was Created in Feb. If there is anything else i can provide I would be happy to help.... I can provide the return address when i get it on monday.

May 10, 2018, 7:18 pm
Accepted at USPS Regional Facility
MONTGOMERY AL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 10, 2018, 3:46 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
ANAHEIM, CA 92802

Last edited by rlorenz; 05-11-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlorenz View Post
To provide some clarity.

I do not have an issue....with them...I had a bad experience with Battlefield but it was just one experience...did not cost me a crap ton..... but I just like to keep this forum updated...

Yes do have tracking and payment Info...it all points to being Candiman... it shows the label was created in Cali....shipped from Bama the same locations...I don't want to provide the tracking number..but it was shipped quickly. That is not to say this is a bad thing.. And they don't take payment...the UserID was Created in Feb. If there is anything else i can provide I would be happy to help.... I can provide the return address when i get it on monday.

ANAHEIM, CA 92802
Thank you for posting that. Hysterical. Uh, Daniel, care to explain? Every time you cut one of these guys' heads off they grow two more it seems.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-11-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:13 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlorenz View Post
To provide some clarity.

ANAHEIM, CA 92802
Where are you located (roughly)? Daniel is guilty of far worse, but I've suspected for awhile that they get lower shipping rates by using ship from zip codes closer to the location. Actually, maybe I shouldn't say he's guilty of worse, since it's possible this is considered mail fraud. Maybe the lawyers can chime in on that.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
Where are you located (roughly)? Daniel is guilty of far worse, but I've suspected for awhile that they get lower shipping rates by using ship from zip codes closer to the location. Actually, maybe I shouldn't say he's guilty of worse, since it's possible this is considered mail fraud. Maybe the lawyers can chime in on that.
I think they just use a different location than Alabama to try to suggest they are not Battlefield. The cards are identified as located in Anaheim; that happens before they know where the buyer will be.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-11-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:39 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Topps-...72.m2749.l2649

I actually got 2 cards from them...I am out 6 bucks..including shipping. so not the end of the world...and they shipped within a day....But when i did go to pay...it was through ebay payment service... not payment. and it was only them that I notice I the name Candiman. And I have it on my receipt as well.

I would provide it now but i am at work...and that stuff as home. This really could be a nothing...but i try to avoid their auctions at all costs.