NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-31-2013, 04:42 PM

Default Anyone else do this....

Probably crazy for most set builders, but I sort all my sets by team. Even if I'm close or complete on a set there's just something about having a whole team set together as opposed to numerically. Didn't always do it this way, did as a kid and re-discovered I just like it better this way, maybe due to the fact I'm not a completist on most sets anymore
Old 03-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Jeff

I haven't sorted by teams since the days of rubber bands and shoeboxes.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 PM
Jake Dahl

I do for Yankees and really enjoy it

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia
Old 03-31-2013, 05:20 PM
Al Richter

Default Sorting

I am in the same boat as Jeff. As a set builder I would always worry I had missed one :-)

How do you keep/store/display them ?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 PM

Depending on the year either in binders, penny's, or ultra pro's. Again, most of my set building days are behind me so I don't really worry about lists and such any more, just enjoy shuffling thru years by team as I feel like it.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 PM
Al Richter

Default Shifting

And that's the important thing, to enjoy your collection
Old 03-31-2013, 09:31 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

That's funny..just the other day a friend of mine that collects sets made the decision to go back in and organize them by teams. Now I come read this...

I think its a great idea...I agree with others, couldn't do it until it was complete, but I totally get it. I did this by team in my youth...would be a cool way to mix it up a bit!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 PM

Default Is there another way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimm View Post
Probably crazy for most set builders, but I sort all my sets by team. Even if I'm close or complete on a set there's just something about having a whole team set together as opposed to numerically. Didn't always do it this way, did as a kid and re-discovered I just like it better this way, maybe due to the fact I'm not a completist on most sets anymore
I have been collecting for 56 years and can't imagine sorting my sets any other way. Pre- and post-war, Topps, Bowmans, Ts, Es, Rs, all organized by team except the sets that don't show team affiliations (V100 is the worst for this).
Old 03-31-2013, 11:28 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

It would solve another issue I have...I love sets that start with the Leader cards of the year, 64, 65, 68, 69....sets like 66 do not, and so on. Organizing by team could allow me to sort the Leaders up front...hmm...got me thinking! Lol...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 04-01-2013, 02:15 AM

Ha! Acutally I remember doing that as a kid...when I went to visit my best friend who moved to another town, he had all of his 1972 Topps Cards arranged by teams in alphabetical order in a large flat tray....I liked that so much I had it displayed like that for awhile...then went to back to 1-660 in 1973...

Ricky Y
Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 AM

I organize all my sets alphabetically so I can find a plater fast.[/I]
Old 04-01-2013, 07:02 AM
Al Richter

Default Sets

What about mixed star cards, like 1962 Manager's Dream ?

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-01-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Was just thinking about that while reading the thread: All-Star cards, multiple-player rookie cards, multiple-player league leaders, etc.

Last edited by Paul S; 04-01-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 AM

It's all about the teams, put 'em where you want LOL This could drive an organized set builder to drink....:sly:
Old 04-01-2013, 08:23 AM

What bothers me more is a player in his old teams uniform on his new teams card :banghead:
Old 04-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Greg Cole

Wow, I thought I was the only person crazy enough to do this!

And...I'll go you one better. Since starting collecting in 1967, I have always arranged my baseball sets by team and the teams by league. Within each league I arrange them by the standings from that year (i.e. in 1975 the Reds went first in the NL West, the Phils first in the NL East, etc.) The special cards (league leaders, World Series, All-Star cards) would go in between the two leagues and the Checklists go at the end.

And on top of that...each team is arranged based on their starting line-up: Team card first, Manager next, then the three starting outfielders followed by the infielders (in order- 1st, 2nd, SS, 3rd), the catcher and the "main" (most successful, best record, or most used) starting pitcher.

Then come the most used fielders followed by the remaining pitchers, starters then relievers and finally the multi-player cards ("Casey Teaches", "Cards Clubbers") and the multi-player rookie cards.

When I first started, I would know the line-ups every year during the season, but as I branched out into older sets this would take a lot more energy; you had to go to the library and find a baseball encyclopedia to get the info.

Now it's all easy using the internet. I've also started printing a standings page with league standings, award-winners and play-off/world series results to go at the beginning of each year's set.

Is this complusive behavior? Collector mania? A big waste of time?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BranchRickey56 View Post
Is this complusive behavior? Collector mania? A big waste of time?

Nah, you're good
Old 04-03-2013, 08:28 AM

ALR-Bishop:
I started organizing like this with my 1961 set in pages/album. All individual player cards are alphabetical. So my friends say: "Hey Tom, do you have a 1961 Roger Maris card?" Easy to find. Then I have a section of pages of only team cards-alphabetical. The Sporting News All-Stars-Alpha again. I then have the League Leaders in numerical order. Then Hi-Lights in numerical order. Because there are not so many of them. Should I put my Mantle next to Mantle All-Star? Maybe. My 1958 set I am working on has the same issue as you mention with Manager's Dream. I put all the multi-player cards near the end. Though just last week, I thought about taking a pen, and cross out the players' names on the multi player cards and then writing 'MULTI-PLAYER CARDS" on the fronts, then putting them in number order. Still wresting with this. Do I use a BIC or a Sharpie?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Al Richter

Default Adjusrting cards

No. Just go to Office Max and get some of those little round or square white sticky things and paste them over the nonconformative areas of the cards. Then label them how you want them, in pencil in case you later change your mind on how you want them designated, or change the way you organize them
Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't collect sets [can't stand commons] but when I get a bunch of cards from specific issues and years I try to arrange them in my albums by team, especially when Topps used a distinctive design or color scheme for each team. I guess that qualifies.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-07-2013, 08:39 PM

Yes, it does! I was doing my 72s today, what a jumble. Sorted by team, awesome!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Rob Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
No. Just go to Office Max and get some of those little round or square white sticky things and paste them over the nonconformative areas of the cards. Then label them how you want them, in pencil in case you later change your mind on how you want them designated, or change the way you organize them
I like this idea, but using a pencil eraser to remove the colors works better.