NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Default Registered Mail Lost?

Posted By: Carl Lamendola

I have a registered mail package lost for 11 days now...if you have ever lost a
package registered please let me know...I have never heard of one yet.

Old 10-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Carl,
I haven't had one lost yet, but I've been told that the mail carrier is solely responsible for the loss. I'm sure that doesn't make you feel better though. I always thought registered was the usps's one service that was pretty good. Keep us posted.

robert

Old 10-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I'm out two lost cards, an E90-1 Lajoie and an N29 boxer.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I had a registered package ripped open with human hands and the contents removed. It was insured for thousands and the PO paid but NEVER investigated or cared who did it. I no longer insure for high amounts through the PO. I use a 3rd party insurnace which keeps the postal labels price down. The lesser priced postal labels do not tempt scum employees to steal the contents! I have a picture of the box in my stuff with my PSA lawsuit. I will see if I can find it. dan.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I once had an overnight mail take 13 days to from WA to CA, so anything can happen.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

I am with Dan on this one. If you put heavy insurance on a package, someone in the post office will be tempted. I had a insured package sent to the midwest from New York. What my mom got was a ripped open envelope like Dans, with the contents missing. Today I sent four rare cards to SGC , USPS priority with insurance and tracking. I insured it for about 1/4 of what the cards could bring because like so many others fear that I will be taken. I have also had this happen with ups but have had zero problems with fed ex. Best of luck Carl.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Carl Lamendola

10 years ago I had a problem with UPS. Someone from NJ sent me $2K worth of Mayo Football cards in two separate identical packages. One made it and one didn't. So, I stopped using UPS. I once read in the Wrapper that Fedex (although tracks better) doesn't include coverage for collectibles - read the fine print. I will let you know what comes of this via a post.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

the best way is probably to fly to the destination and pick up the cards in person. ship yourself instead of having the cards shipped to you

Old 10-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Administrator

When I won the Washington Times Lajoie on ebay, the guy told me where to send the check. I asked what airport he was near. I flew to him with cash and bummer! He had 8 more!

Old 10-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

did you buy all 8?

Old 10-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Administrator

of course I did, that is where Walter Johnson came from. There are only 3 out there that I do not own and 2 would be dupes. Leon has one, a gent in MD eastern shore has one and a gent in NY has the only one I need. Dan.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JIM MANOS

I HAD ONE LOST FOR 2 WEEKS WELL IT WASEN'T LOST IT WAS AT THE POST OFFICE. THE LITTLE TAG THEY STICK ON YOU DOOR BLEW AWAY OR SOMETHING AND THEYNEVER TRIED TO REDELIVER, CHECK YOUR PO. HOPE THIS HELPS JIM MANOS

Old 10-30-2005, 03:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

registered mail is the absolute safest way to ship, but you need to add several days for this service...where ever it goes it has to be inspected and signed for by the mail dude receiving it...also, packages this way MUST be in brown "paper tape" not clear plastic tape, this way the person receiving the package can check the seals of the tape and make sure none of them are broken, they put a stamp over the edge of the tape and the package...you can insure it for big buck too, $25k...but again, you must add several days...you can also check the points of signature on line if you get the registration number from the sender....

Old 10-30-2005, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Pete, please see my post above. It was aregistered package that I had ripped open by a postal employee, no investigation, no nothing. Just paid me and the rare collectible was lost.

Old 10-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Administrator

dan, i was just reponding in general to the issue of being 11 days but in your case i would of contacted the postal inspector myself, it's a federal offense and in order for these guys/gals to get away with it, means that more than 1 person would have to be involved and someone in the higher ups would have to know about it...it doesnt go unnoticed for anything...although, you can get away with anything short of murder in the post office and keep your job, but thats another story

Old 10-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

The Hope Diamond was actually shipped by registered mail once.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I'll bet that the package arrives safe and sound, despite the long delay. Reg packages with high value are locked up, and sometimes bad weather reroutes them and they stay in a locked area for longer than they should. You may be pleasantly surprised. The last postal worker who signed for it- and everyone who handles it must sign- would be fully responsible for the insured value. They surely don't want to lose it.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Administrator

back in the day, (no long ago) gold bars were shipped usps as well, a helluva lot of security but it was done.