NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-17-2019, 03:03 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Your Opinion- Does an Auto Cover Enhance or Decrease the Value of a Publication?

The autographed cover of the first edition of Sports Illustrated in the current Birmingham Auction (https://birminghamauctioneersbid.com...ce?itemid=1859) got me thinking. Do you think that because Eddie Matthews autographed the cover it is more valuable or less valuable? I personally think that the value is not increased and maybe even slightly decreased. Thoughts?

Jeff

*Disclaimer...I do work sometimes with Scott from Birmingham Auctions.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 PM

It'll always depend on the person. The question comes up a lot re: vintage photos and whether the subject should sign them. Some people are photo guys and not auto guys; same goes for magazines and whether they'd want them autographed or not.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree...

The answer depends upon a few things...

A. Who signed it, and how rare/valuable is the signature?
B. What is the nature of the item, and value of the item prior to its being signed?
C. Does the signature enhance or detract from the aesthetics and overall appearance of the item?

In your case, I think it could go either way. Matthews is not a rare signature, so there is no clear-cut answer. It just depends upon whether the purchaser prefers it autographed or not. Since Matthews is deceased, I would personally prefer the autographed version. He has a nice signature, and is featured on the cover.

But a Magazine/Periodical "purist" might not touch the autographed version. So I think your example can easily go either way.

Last edited by perezfan; 06-17-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:48 PM

I don't know what the consensus of collectors of that particular item would be, but I don't really like the look (placement, color, etc.) of that auto.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:47 PM
Howard Chasser

Default my 2 cents

I would say it is worth more to a smaller collecting base.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:51 AM
Scott Russell

The Magazine in question:

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-20-2019, 09:54 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I think you've got to look at a couple of things:
  • The value of the pub without an auto
  • The value of the auto (say on an 8x10)
  • The timing of the date of publication and how long an athlete had to sign it

I collect autographed Sports Illustrated magazines and in virtually all cases, an authentic autograph will increase the value of the magazine.

In this case, the value of the unautographed magazine is probably an order of magnitude higher than an Eddie Matthews autograph. I would guess there will be a small premium, but not much.

One of the reasons that I like the signed magazines is because they are only published for a short time, versus an 8x10 glossy or some other photo that could have been produced without limit over many, many years. So while it does not date the auto, it does date the medium.

If this were for a signed Mickey Mantle SI from 1956, the autographed copy would bring a strong premium over an unsigned copy. Note, not mine - from Mears 2013 auction
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 1956 SI sm.jpg (12.5 KB, 109 views)
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 06-21-2019, 07:49 AM

Personally, I would much rather have the magazine signed.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:35 PM
Chris Counts

I very much appreciate having old fountain or ballpoint autographs on just about anything that's made out of paper or cardboard, but I don't like pencil autographs, and I like Sharpie autographs even less. I think the values of signed cards and publications, at least to some degree, reflect this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44tigers.jpg (45.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 06-28-2019, 11:04 AM
chris

All depends on aesthetics, the item and player(s) for me. Both of these cards are nice in their own right but the sigs and especially where they are placed, takes them to a new level for me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_10212258287346949.jpg (18.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150312_121947.jpg (77.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-28-2019, 11:18 AM
Scott Russell

Just to complete the thought on the specific item in question I had an autographed and an unautographed Sports Illustrated Vol 1 Issue 1 in my auction. Without went for $70, with went for $100. The moral of the story? You should've bid in my auction!!!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions