NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Heritage Auctions

(Sorry Jonathan, but this perplexes me and irritates me)

Heritage "sold" this program in Nov 2011 to the "high bidder" (which had to be Heritage) for $8365.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7041&lotNo=81228

You can buy it now from the "owner" on their Site for $10,456.

It's currently on Ebay being sold by Heritage:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120941283288...84.m1438.l2649

Is this just a case of Heritage bidding the item up, nobody then outbid Heritage, so Heritage was "the winner" and is again trying to sell the item.

I find the buy it now from the owner on Heritage Site for $10,456 a little odd since nobody bid as much as $8000 for the item except them. No wonder theirs is the only auction house I can never win anything from. They outbid you, not other bidders. I see things I thought I lost to someone else being re-sold by them. I would have won a few of these items had it been just me against other bidders. Why they stack the deck against you is pretty irritating.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 07-17-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Banned

they use their n.p. gresham in house account to bid on items they think are worth getting at that price. they admit they are buyers and they will turn around and try to resell it at a profit. the difference between shilling/pushing the price up that way, which could lead to accidentally getting stuck with an item on ocassion, - and bidding with the intent to buy the item and win it outright because they want the item, is intent. since nobody can prove what their intent is when n.p gresham bids, their disclaimer that they reserve the right to bid on items, which is in the fine print, stands and it's legal but i don't like it. they should either be dealers or auctioneers, but not both in my book.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Jonathan Scheier

This is an issue that has been discussed on the board previously, and Mr. Roste has it almost completely right. Every bid Heritage places is an intent to buy at wholesale level. We don’t expect to win much at this level since the vast majority of our offerings sell at retail, but we offer the same price we would at a dealer’s booth at the National, for instance. These “house bids” are placed exactly seven days prior to the closing of the auction.

In these two regards, our “house bidding” policy is distinctly different from shill bidding. A shill bidder has no interest in owning a piece at his high bid. We do have an interest. And, most typically, shill bidding is used to “run up” another bidder’s absentee bid. Our “house bids” are placed a week prior to closing, long before the vast majority of competitive bidding takes place.

I hope this makes the distinction clear, but I certainly invite anybody who wishes to discuss it further to email me directly, or to call me at the office. My contact information is below.
Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
JonathanS@HA.com
1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at http://sports.ha.com/consign

Connect with Heritage at http://sports.HA.com/Connect
Old 07-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Barry Sloate

This should be an interesting thread.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Sketch. Any chance of not doing this?
Old 07-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Tim Bro.ad

[QUOTE=Heritage Sports;1015232]

In these two regards, our “house bidding” policy is distinctly different from shill bidding. A shill bidder has no interest in owning a piece at his high bid. We do have an interest. And, most typically, shill bidding is used to “run up” another bidder’s absentee bid. Our “house bids” are placed a week prior to closing, long before the vast majority of competitive bidding takes place.

QUOTE]

You can use terms "house bids" but there is no difference between a "house bid" and "shill" bidding. I been attending auctions since I was a teenager and I have seen just about everything at auctions. While bidding by the owner of an item, who shows up at the sale, is considered shill bidding, it is accepted and happens very often. When the auction house places bids, it's again, "shill" bidding.

I have seen an auctioneers bid on an items but only because they could not get a decent starting bid and only seen this a couple times in my life. I have also seen auctioneers bidding against their own staff and everbody knew what was going on. No customers were getting bid up.

So you can call it what you will, but personally, if I knew an auction house was placing bids on items that were on consignment, without disclosure to the other bidders, I would never set foot in that auction house again.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:57 PM
qualitycards

Although legal I'm sure, it doesn't seem all that ethical.
Unless I'm missing something.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:11 PM
keith janosky

I think it's still shill bidding in my little mind. Heritage says they bid a week before. What difference does it make if you bid a week before or that day the auction ends they are still jacking the price up starting the bidding off early. It's making people bid higher on an item more than it should be. That is what gets me with ebay. You see an auction start at 6 days and people bidding right out of the box. Never could understand the reasoning with that unless someone won't be by there computor for the next 6 days but not likely considering all the people that bid early. All that is doing is rasing the price up.

Last edited by keithsky; 07-17-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:12 PM
J@son M1ller

It's lame. Anyway you slice it, it is bidding against the lifeblood of an auction house (its bidders). You may be making the consignor happy by inflating the prices but you sure aren't making any friends with the bidders.

And I, as a consignor, wouldn't want to do business with an auction house that was alienating bidders. The fact that it is in the rules doesn't matter. It isn't right.

Last edited by Jaybird; 07-17-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: fixing grammar
Old 07-17-2012, 04:10 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

I also think any seller, be it a large house or a small-timer on eBay, placing a bid on their own listing is shill bid. You want to have a price floor on an item? Put a reserve on it before the auction even begins...

...but this conversation is re-creating the wheel, no?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=shill+bidding

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 07-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Jake

I don't think it is that big of a deal. They are bidding with the intent to own. This means they think the price is too low. Its not like their shill bidding thousands of dollars on a Mordedcai Brown which will never be sold for a profit at that level. I do believe that it should be disclosed on a auction lot if Heritage is bidding, it very well may be, I'm not that familiar with Heritage.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:02 PM

Despite the clarity and ease of Heritage's website (extreme sarcasm) I could not find their auction rules. However if I remember correctly they allow house bidding without restrictions. They also allow employees to bid with insider knowledge of other bids and bidders. The representative on this thread may claim that they only place house bids seven days in advance of closing - a problematic policy at that - but there is nothing in their own rules to limit house bidding to that in any way. Personally I do not feel comfortable bidding in this sort of situation. If I have misrepresented due to my faulty memory, please clarify where I am wrong.
JimB
Old 07-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Jeff

They tell you what they do and to Jim's point they don't seem to limit themselves in the fine print unless he missed it. They make no secret about it, if you don't like it don't bid with them. I don't like it and I don't bid with them.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 PM
$c0tt A1p@ug.h

Perhaps next time I bid against a "house" bid, they'll put me on an even playing field by waiving the 20% advantage the "house" has by not having to pay the BP...

Collecting: 1948 Leaf Football Master Set (PSA 7 or better - PSA 6 or better for High Numbers), 1948 Leaf Football White Backgrounds, 1948 Leaf Football On-card Autographs, Wire Photos or Original Photos depicting images used for the 1948 Leaf Football issue -- circa 1880-1909 Football cabinets
Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default heritage

they do the same thing with coins in the last 18 months theyve sold the same coin 5 times including giving it on consignment to a dealer who then tried to sell it to my outright...if its not illegal it should be
Old 07-17-2012, 07:21 PM

It creates a false market with false prices realized. In the case of the program above, if Heritage is in fact "the owner", it is misleading in that respect as well.
JimB
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 PM

Someone was kind enough to send me a link to their rules. Here is rule #21. It does not seem fair to me. So I guess it is not just the auction house and its employees that can bid and modify bids with insider information, but anybody that they deem an "affiliate".
JimB

"21. The Auctioneer, its affiliates, or their employees consign items to be sold in the Auction, and may
bid on those lots or any other lots. Auctioneer or affiliates expressly reserve the right to modify
any such bids at any time prior to the hammer based upon data made known to the Auctioneer
or its affiliates. The Auctioneer may extend advances, guarantees, or loans to certain consignors."

Last edited by E93; 07-19-2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: change colors
Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Jeff

So the question becomes if you don't like it, do you still patronize them? It's not like they aren't telling you they reserve the right to do these things. Again, not defending the practice but complaining about it and continuing to bid with them doesn't seem to accomplish much.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
I don't think it is that big of a deal. They are bidding with the intent to own. This means they think the price is too low. Its not like their shill bidding thousands of dollars on a Mordedcai Brown which will never be sold for a profit at that level. I do believe that it should be disclosed on a auction lot if Heritage is bidding, it very well may be, I'm not that familiar with Heritage.

The fine print says they reserve the right to bid, it does not say they must bid only 7 days before the auction ends, that is their own self imposed rule that they can disregard at any time without breaking their disclosure in the fine print that 99 percent of the bidders haven't read. It should be in bold print on each auction listing./

And Jonathon, if it is Heritage's policy to limit themselves to 7 days before the auction ends, why isn't that in the disclosure?e

If a babe ruth bat is expected to sell for a million dollars and heritage's wholesale limit is 650,000, and they know for certain , 100% that the end bid will be above that price, do they still place the 650,000 dollar bid 7 days before auction ends if the price has not hit that level yet? Remember, they know the big boys who are interested in this piece, they probably sent out golden engraved invitations to them.

do they put in the 650,000 bid anyway, granted they want to buy it at that price, but they know for a fact it will go higher. The secondary effect of placing the bid they know the can't win is to bump up the price sooner in the auction. They can always say they wanted to buy it at 650,000, but since the knew they couldn't ever win it at that price, do they place the bid anyway? Is it ethical for an auction house to place that bid they know they can't win on a hot item they know will go through the roof?

That's the slippery slope of auction houses who want to be dealers as well. Why not just be an auction house? How do customers benefit by competing against the auction house itself for items? The auction house has all the inside informtion, the customers don't.

Last edited by travrosty; 07-17-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

I closed my Heritage Account over a year ago because of shifty rules like this, poor customer service and a horrendous website. I would never consign to Heritage, or obviously bid on anything they have for sale. I'm a drop in the bucket, but drops eventually add up to a waterfall.

Joe Squires
Old 07-17-2012, 10:56 PM
J@son M1ller

Double post /////

Last edited by Jaybird; 07-17-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 PM
J@son M1ller

Perhaps this thread is worth moving to the Main Page?

I agree that everyone should go in knowing that this business is shady and only be surprised when they aren't.

However, the only way a company changes the way they do business is for their customers to speak up and demand the change both in words but also in action. I've stopped biding with Heritage as I did when the information about H&S came out in a previous thread. H&S changed their policy. Will Heritage follow suit or blatantly ignore concerns in favor of short term gains?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Banned

we spoke up and demanded they stop listing their autographs with a jsa auction loa before the items were actually seen by jsa, and it took several people several attempts before they changed it and people got their accounts banned from heritage as a result of demanding this change.

so speaking up has its punishment.

I consigned 1 item to heritage, and it got an internet bid several days before it hit the live auction floor. it got no further bids on the floor but heritage told me the buyer did not pay so i got my item back and never got my money. heritage couldnt tell me who the winning bidder was. If they would tell me who bid on my item and didnt pay, i would feel a lot more confident that it wasnt heritage bidding themselves and then getting buyers remorse. I have no poof heritage bid on the item, but i have no proof they didn't bid on it either. Obviously I haven't consigned anything else to them. I had three months of my time wasted regardless.

What disturbs me and something I didn't realize is not only does it say nothing about heritage's ability to bid on an item right up to the hammer, it expressley reserves the right to modify or bid right up to the hammer.

This 7 day bid limit that jonathon mentioned is nonsense.

it also is very distubing that it says it can modify its bid right up to the hammer using any data received. so if they find out something about a lot that isn't known or disclosed to the general bidding public, they reserve the right to cancel or reverse their bid, or lower it, but of course you can't.

Last edited by travrosty; 07-18-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:20 AM
keith janosky

Didn't Mastro get shut down and in trouble for shill bidding? Isn't this basicly the same thing that they are doing but maybe they word it different? I don't know. I guess each auction house does what they want and if you want to participate you do and if not your choice. There is alot of auction house to choose from and that is probably a good thing.

Last edited by keithsky; 07-18-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Sports View Post
This is an issue that has been discussed on the board previously, and Mr. Roste has it almost completely right. Every bid Heritage places is an intent to buy at wholesale level. We don’t expect to win much at this level since the vast majority of our offerings sell at retail, but we offer the same price we would at a dealer’s booth at the National, for instance. These “house bids” are placed exactly seven days prior to the closing of the auction.
This doesn't make sense, you say "Every bid Heritage places is an intent to buy at wholesale level". Well your bid here won the item, yet you immediately re-list for sale on your Site and you attempt to re-sell it on Ebay. So did the "Consignor" of this item to Heritage actually get paid? I highly doubt it. It most likely is an item owned by Heritage, you bid it up attempting to get max value. It's shill bidding, but you can get away with it because you clearly state we bid on items aka shill bid.

And your claims of Sales totals are very false, because I'm sure you include all these items that were "sold", but really remain with Heritage for future auction or sell on Ebay. So anyone then can say they sold millions of dollars in their auction but when your "winning" your own items, it's a false claim.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 07-18-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
And this......"you have an interest in owning", so if u won this item with hopes of "owning", why is it immediately re-listed for sale and then put on Ebay for Sale as well. You have ZERO interest in owning it, you guys bid it up to get max value, if in your eyes u do not get enough from a real bidder, you win the item by default and thus try to re-sell it.

It's a total crock of sh-t!

Obviously u can't come on here and say yes we shill bid.....but don't come on here and try to slap a coat of paint on a piece of sh-t and try to sell your BS.

Just let us talk about the funny business your company may be doing so bidders and consignors are aware of what you may get with Heritage. If u want to pay retail or higher bid with Heritage, if you want to consign to Heritage be aware that your item may not sell to a real bidder and u may be SOL.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 07-18-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:21 AM

As far as I can see there is nothing in the stated policy to prevent Heritage Auctions from checking what all the top all bids are ten minutes before closing of the auction and then raising them all to their limit with the house account. If this does not happen, I think it would be in Heritage Auctions' best interest to formally state that in the rules. In a business with so much room for misleading shenanigans, it seems that formally limiting what can be done in stated rules rather than leaving it open would be a policy that would instill trust. The way it is written now, it is difficult for me to trust what is going on there.
JimB
Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Jeff P

Read this article.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2004/1227/156.html

I've learned the hard way that no matter how much I may want something someone is selling, if my gut says I can't trust the person involved in the transaction, I should walk away from the deal. Every time I've ever violated this gut feeling, I've been burned.

jeff
Old 07-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Read this article.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2004/1227/156.html

I've learned the hard way that no matter how much I may want something someone is selling, if my gut says I can't trust the person involved in the transaction, I should walk away from the deal. Every time I've ever violated this gut feeling, I've been burned.

jeff
"One way to make sure those babies keep rising in price: Halperin allows Heritage employees--himself included--to bid on items it auctions off. What seller wouldn't appreciate having a shill right there on the premises? Especially one with deep pockets. "
Old 07-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

BABU: You shilled my bid?
HERITAGE: Well not technically.
BABU: I kill you!!
HERITAGE: Well what about Mastro?
BABU: I kill both of you!!
HERITAGE: Babu?!
BABU: No Babu! No Babu! You bad auctioneer! You very bad auctioneer! You very lazy bad auctioneer!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
It creates a false market with false prices realized. In the case of the program above, if Heritage is in fact "the owner", it is misleading in that respect as well.
JimB
This reminds me of the urban legend about a handful of NY vendors selling 1952 Topps Mantles back and forth amongst themselves inflating the Mantle price back in the 1970's
Old 07-18-2012, 06:16 PM
J@son M1ller

Old 07-18-2012, 06:46 PM

Jason,
You crack me up. But the silence is deafening. What are we to presume by this?
JimB

Last edited by E93; 07-18-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Jeff P

Scene from a Few Good Auctions

HA: You want answers?
Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Kaffee: I want the truth!
HA: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has auctions. And those auctions have to be run by men with no values. Who's gonna do it? You Mr. Moderator? You Mr. Collector? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for cards you can't afford and you curse the auction houses for having them. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that by cheating collectors, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to run that auction. You need me to run that auction.
We use words like house accounts, consignments, buyer's premium...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent cheating everybody. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very auctions I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on bidding on my cards. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up your collect and go home. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!
Kaffee: Did you order the shill bidding?
HA: (quietly) I did the job I was asked to do.
HA: You're goddamn right I did!!

Case closed.

jeff
Old 07-18-2012, 07:01 PM

Jeff,
Absolutely hilarious!
JimB
Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Peter F

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
Jeff,
Absolutely hilarious!
JimB
+1

I've been attending auctions since the 70s. The rules and dynamics are in my blood and I am shocked that these guys are doing this. Of course I shouldn't be shocked by anything in this day and age but you know what i mean. Who do these guys think they're fooling? Its not right and they should know that.

And again, movie scene.....hysterical. And true.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Brian

Adam, Jason & Jeff -- too funny. And too bad this stuff is real.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Jonathan Scheier

We're going to make one last post on this topic and then simply direct any future inquiries back to this post. I'll try to be as clear and direct as I can.

Let me start by stating that I don't mean to "condescend" or insult anybody's intelligence, and if any attitude has been detected in any of my past text (and in my mind I was choosing my words judiciously) I think it's only fair to remember that these posts have been in response to people calling the integrity of Heritage, and by extension myself, into question. This is offensive, particularly due to the fact that it is entirely unwarranted. I think we could all acknowledge that the expected response to "Hey, you're a lying crook," isn't typically, "I beg your pardon, my dear sir, but I must respectfully disagree..." But this isn’t about me, and I certainly don’t want it to be. If you don’t like my words—apologies—but let’s keep focus on the topic.

It’s about Heritage.

I've been around this industry for well over a decade, and have seen a lot of different operations close up. Some were ok, some weren’t. But I say this from my heart, and would say it if I were no longer a HA employee--this is the cleanest, most forthright and honest, most transparent business I've ever personally seen. I don't mean just the memorabilia business. Any business. That's a strong statement, I know. I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. I might toe the company line, but I wouldn't be so adamant here. I hope at least some of you will take this to heart. I'm not one to throw stones at other organizations--that's not my style--but if anybody truly believes that Heritage is anywhere near the top of the list of worthy targets in this industry then we're clearly operating in different planes of reality.

Every year every consignment director at Heritage, over 100 now in the various collectibles divisions under the HA umbrella, attends a nine-hour training session headed by the owners/founders of Heritage. You hear the word "transparency" like a mantra at these meetings. It is drilled into every Heritage employee, from the very top on down. Call up any consignment director at Heritage and ask about the word. It's practically a religion at Heritage. There's not a single one of us who hasn't had it imprinted upon his or her brain.

Jim Halperin, a visionary in the tradition of a Steve Jobs, was the pioneer of this. It started in coins, and everybody thought he was crazy. He started announcing reserves in an industry where they were always hidden (and still almost always are). He posted past results for similar coins on the actual lot listing for the coin! "If everybody sees it always sells for "X," we'll never get more than "X," people shouted in protest. But Jim was certain that the trust, the transparency, would pay off.

That was years before Heritage was the World's Largest Collectibles Auctioneer, so the proof is in the pudding.

He had a vision of doing something different, and this is it.

Ask around. Ask the top collectors who spend six or seven figures in a calendar year. Ask which houses they'll trust with absentee bids, and which they won't. Watch our auctions live on our website, or come to them in person. Everything, literally everything, is executed with complete transparency.

Honestly, may God help you if you ever broke that code as a HA employee. You could lose a big consignment, you could drop a Tiffany lamp, and you could keep your Heritage employment. You'd be lucky to leave the building with your head if you ever tried to cheat under the Heritage banner. But you'd definitely be leaving.

The particular topic of this thread is no exception to the Heritage code--the policy of house bidding. Every bidder is looking for a bargain--we understand that bidders wouldn't want us in competition for material they're trying to buy. And could anybody doubt how easy it would be for us to simply have cousin Fred in Albuquerque place our house bids, never tell anybody, and whatever he wins just sell quietly and privately? But that wouldn't be honest. That wouldn't be transparent. We place bids in our auctions and we report that we do it. We report when we do it (seven days prior to the auction closing, never after). If we own material, we don't bid on it--we place posted reserves, or (more commonly) we just let it ride.

This is the truth. Period.

I don't think I can make this any more clear.

And if my assurances aren't enough for you, look at the situation in the coldest, most calculating manner possible. We sell close to a billion dollars worth of collectibles annually, over $800 million in the past twelve months. That success, that very considerable sum of money, would be placed at great peril if we were to engage in illegal (or even simply dishonest) tactics.

Heritage is the standard bearer for the way all of us wish the entire industry would operate. You don't have to like everything we do. You don't have to like us at all. But we announce every reserve. We advertise our house bidding policy. We maintain a public database of every single lot we've ever sold. We hide nothing.

We understand that the 800 pound gorilla is going to draw a lot of attention, so we aren't entirely surprised by the negativity we see on this board. But this suggestion that Heritage shill bids has to stop. It is false, which means it is also, by its very definition, libelous. At a certain point, Heritage will have to take more serious steps to protect itself against these claims. Let's hope it never has to come to that.

Again, this is our official response, and the last we'll make. Please spread the word on it. Sadly the Internet tends to bring out destructive instincts in people. You generally find that the people anxious to impugn the integrity of strangers based on a limited understanding of the facts aren’t the type of people one would typically associate with guys like Lou Gehrig or Christy Mathewson, but I hope everybody will understand why we prefer to keep our focus on them instead. The boards are fun that way--this way, they're not. If I’ve offended anybody, I apologize, but attacks on a person’s honor are a serious thing that lately has been taken far too lightly. How should one react?

I hope to hear some brave voices that will echo that sentiment and try to draw this board back out of the high school lunch room. We can do better.

Ending on a high note, hope to see you all in Baltimore at the National, and at our Platinum Night auction at Camden Yards. Bidding is live now at www.HA.com/Sports.
Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
JonathanS@HA.com
1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at http://sports.ha.com/consign

Connect with Heritage at http://sports.HA.com/Connect
Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Auctioneer Wormer: Greg, who are the worst bidders at our auctions?
Greg: Well that would be hard to say, sir. They're each outstanding in their own way.
Auctioneer Wormer: Cut the horse***t, son. I've got their bidding records right here. Who never overpays for cards? Who puts in dozens of placeholder bids and hopes to slide by? Every Halloween, we see lots close at wholesale prices. Every spring, the bottom feeders win cards.
Greg: You're talking about wholesale customers, sir.
Auctioneer Wormer: Of course I'm talking about wholesale customers, you TWERP! This year is going to be different. This year we are going to grab the bull by the BALLS and run up their bids.
Greg: What do you intend to do sir? The bidders are already subject to reserves.
Auctioneer Wormer: They are?
Greg: Yes, sir.
Auctioneer Wormer: Oh. Then as of this moment, we'll engage in DOUBLE SECRET RESERVES!
Greg: Double Secret Reserves, Sir?
Auctioneer Wormer: There is a little-known codicil in the auction rules which gives the company unlimited power to jack up prices in times of low bidding. Find me a way to run up the bids on these bottom-feeders while self-righteously proclaiming my honesty and integrity. Put Neidermeyer on it. He's a sneaky little s***, just like you, right? [Greg nods] The time has come for someone to put their foot down. And that foot is me.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-19-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Tyler Durden: Welcome to our Auction.
The first rule of our Auction is: we bid in our own Auction.
The second rule of our Auction is: we BID in our OWN Auction!
Third rule of our Auction: someone's bid is really low, looks like they'll get a bargain, might actually make a profit, we run up the price.
Fourth rule: at least one bidder before we bid.
Fifth rule: one house bid at a time, fellas.
Sixth rule: Just shut up and eat your free food, N54ers.
Seventh rule: auction items will sell for what we say they have to.
And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time bidding with us, you have to be shilled.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-19-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Banned

In the name of honesty and transparency jonathan, who bid on my consignment, and then didn't pay? I would really like to know. I don't know and I would like to know, but since heritage knows and i don't, how about honestly and transparently telling me who it was?

It was a sonny liston signed exhibition contract signed "charles sonny liston" to refresh your memory. it was in the signature auction a couple of autumns ago.

You go on to say that heritage doesnt do anything wrong, because it wouldn't be honest.

Is saying that an autographed item has a jsa auction loa and post it for live internet weekly auction bidding when jsa hadn't looked at the item yet, is that honest?

Your post rings hollow to me because heritage has shown to say something that isn't true regarding those jsa auction loa's by listing "jsa auction loa" when jsa hadn't looked at it yet. we all know what 'saying something that isn't true' really is.

I have no proof heritage has ever shilled bid, because any time the house bids on an item, you have to read the mind of the person bidding to figure out if they want to genuinely buy it, or just run up the price. since I don't have a mind reading machine, there is no way to know.

I give them the benefit of the doubt and take your word that they are bidding to buy, but their propensity to tell people to that they are naive and 'don't know how a big auction house works' when heritage claims auction loa's when there is none, and only doing something about it 6 months later after the heat was too much for them does not bode well for their claim of honesty and transparency.

True honesty and transparency would have been changing your policy towards listing premature auction LOA's right away and admitting that it wasn't cool to do it that way, not trying to ride it out for half a year and hope the controversy goes away. And only then say that heritage is doing something that the customer wants and is happy to be the shining example of an auction house, to paraphrase. Then ban people like me on the back end for letting top management know of the problem.

It's very visionary of heritage to put in the rules the ability of heritage to bid on the consignement lots themselves and to be able to modify any bid at any time for any reasn using any data they receive right up to the hammer.

And to put it where arguably most people don't read, admittedly, by their own volition, no one is forcing them not to read it, i agree, but the average heritage bidder is going to have some difficulty finding the page that spells out the terms, and they are also not expecting it to happen that they would have to look at the terms just to find out if it happens at not. It's a foreign concept to a lot of bidders that auction houses can actually do this if they just put it in the terms?

Put it black and white up front on each auction lot so people know! That's real transparency! How does it benefit bidders for the house bidding terms to be on some page they have to search for instead of at each individual auction listing?

If I am wrong, please correct me with point by point, detailed refutations because i want to be totally clear and also fair, and I will admit where I haven't been correct if its pointed out to me, but it also means cutting out the talking points and getting to the bottom of why heritage believes its good for them to auction lots and also bid on them, and the same people in charge of these terms are the same who thought putting jsa auction loa's on items that jsa hadn't seen yet, was an idea that was just fine when they eventually reversed course and took those jsa tags off only after people complained.

Last edited by travrosty; 07-18-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Rawn Hill

Going back to Facebook, less drama.

Rawn
Old 07-18-2012, 11:19 PM
J@son M1ller

Thanks for your response. I've tried to respond with care and tact and hoping that you're receive my questions in that spirit. Posting the Sound of Silence clip was a playful reminder that we were waiting for a response.

To your points:

Quote:
But I say this from my heart, and would say it if I were no longer a HA employee--this is the cleanest, most forthright and honest, most transparent business I've ever personally seen. I don't mean just the memorabilia business. Any business. That's a strong statement, I know. I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. I might toe the company line, but I wouldn't be so adamant here. [/URL]
The problem I have with this statement is that it is without relative comparison. Just because it is the most honest you have been involved in doesn't mean that there are not problems that should be dealt with to improve the honesty and integrity that you believe the company has. The statement closes you off to improvement and change. It also doesn't matter if another company is doing worse. As an illustration: when someone (say my wife), tells me that she doesn't like something about me, I don't tell her that there are worse husbands. I actually listen to her and reflect on what it is she is trying to tell me. I ask that you do the same.

Quote:
The particular topic of this thread is no exception to the Heritage code--the policy of house bidding. Every bidder is looking for a bargain--we understand that bidders wouldn't want us in competition for material they're trying to buy. And could anybody doubt how easy it would be for us to simply have cousin Fred in Albuquerque place our house bids, never tell anybody, and whatever he wins just sell quietly and privately? But that wouldn't be honest. That wouldn't be transparent. We place bids in our auctions and we report that we do it. We report when we do it (seven days prior to the auction closing, never after). If we own material, we don't bid on it--we place posted reserves, or (more commonly) we just let it ride.[/URL]
This is THE PROBLEM. Because it is in the rules and stated and observed is not a good reason to do it. There have been many arguments in this thread and elsewhere why it is a problem both for consignors and bidders. The fact that (as you state above) "you could have cousin Fred do it" and you don't doesn't change anything. You might as well have cousin Fred do it because we don't know who is doing it. Does it state in the auction that the item was just bid up by the house? So, when I go to place the next bid I know that the house has bumped it up to its current level?

Also, When you buy it at that level and then put it in your store, do you cut the original consignor a piece of that secondary sale? Shouldn't the consignor that put their faith and trust in your sales skills be the beneficiary of that secondary sale? Why should they sell to you at wholesale level only for you to reach a secondary profit?

It doesn't sit right with me as a consignor or bidder. If as a consignor I saw my item sell for more a few months after my auction with you, I'd think that you didn't do right by me and sold it in a way that maximized profit for you but not me. Why not advise me to sell in your secondary market in the first place? Divert items from your auction to that market and thus eliminate the need for you to buy Wholesale and compete with your bidders? Just stop the practice of bidding on your own auctions. It isn't right.

It doesn't matter what happened in the past. We are where we are. Let's move forward and stop bidding on our own auctions. Please.

Last edited by Jaybird; 07-18-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:13 AM

I appreciate you coming on here and discussing policies and practices at Heritage Auctions. I don't know if we have ever met, but you come across as sincere in your writings here. However there are a couple points I would like to address that I think can be beneficial for Heritage Auctions.

Quote:
The particular topic of this thread is no exception to the Heritage code--the policy of house bidding.... And could anybody doubt how easy it would be for us to simply have cousin Fred in Albuquerque place our house bids, never tell anybody, and whatever he wins just sell quietly and privately? But that wouldn't be honest. That wouldn't be transparent. We place bids in our auctions and we report that we do it. [/URL]
There is a third option - not to bid in your own auctions and have a binding policy that backs it up. I have no doubt that other auction houses shill bid with "Uncle Fred". You all could choose not to bid in your own auctions overtly or covertly.

Quote:
We place bids in our auctions and we report that we do it. We report when we do it (seven days prior to the auction closing, never after). If we own material, we don't bid on it--we place posted reserves, or (more commonly) we just let it ride.
[/URL]
This is not the policy stated in your rules. There is no limitation in your rules that would demand you stop bidding seven days prior to the auction closing. If there is "never [house bidding] after", why not change the written rules in accordance with that to put our minds at ease. Otherwise, as it is stated now it sounds like there is no reason for the house to refrain from bidding all absentee bids up to their max just before the close of the auction.

Also, you say the house does not bid on its own material, but your explicit rules say that doing so would be fine. If it never happens, please change the written rule.

You can make a lot of people a lot more comfortable if the written rules reflected the actual practices you claim. Seems like there would be nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing so.

Again, thank you for your willingness to come on here. And thank you for your consideration of these suggestions.

JimB

Last edited by E93; 07-19-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:22 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

OK, I've had some fun with this thread but in all seriousness, I am appalled by the twisted thinking behind this comment:

"Every bidder is looking for a bargain--we understand that bidders wouldn't want us in competition for material they're trying to buy."

No, you clearly don't understand that, because if you did you would realize that every bid Heritage places on its own account does the exact opposite: it takes away the bargain that the bidder might otherwise get in a truly open market and directly competes with the bidders.

Jason's point also is well taken about consignments. I would never, ever consider consigning to Heritage as long as I know that they might try to buy my item in the guise of an auction to resell for a profit. If I want to wholesale my stuff I might as well just wholesale directly to a dealer for cash on delivery and not waste my time waiting around for a consignment to be auctioned and paid.

I guess the bottom line is that taking at least the 19.5% Buyer's Premium out of the hides of consignors isn't enough, so Heritage's management feels it is justified in taking away lots that are good wholesale buys so it can resell them and reap additional profits from their consignors. The justifications are simply insults to our intelligence carefully crafted by corporate flacks to divert attention from what is going on.

Frank Lopez: You know what a chazzer is?
Tony Montana: No, Frank, you tell me. What is a chazzer?
Frank Lopez: It's a Yiddish word for "pig." See, the guy, he wants more than what he needs. He don't fly straight no more.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-19-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
We understand that the 800 pound gorilla is going to draw a lot of attention, so we aren't entirely surprised by the negativity we see on this board. But this suggestion that Heritage shill bids has to stop. It is false, which means it is also, by its very definition, libelous. At a certain point, Heritage will have to take more serious steps to protect itself against these claims. Let's hope it never has to come to that.
A personal opinion is not libelous. Sooooo....

My personal OPINION is that house bidding is shill bidding. Perhaps only for the purpose of setting a reserve amount but its still shill bidding. Others may disagree but this practice is not acceptable to me.

Another policy I have is to never do business with people who threaten me. In my OPINION, the above statement is a threat so I am done with HA.

jeff
Old 07-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I think they need a representative from the baseball community to help with their image, may I suggest Curt Schilling.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Tim Bro.ad

Pleased to see that 99% of members that posted here know the difference between right and wrong and won't be influenced by a hired spokesperson.

Noun 1. spin doctor - a public relations person who tries to forestall negative publicity by publicizing a favorable interpretation of the words or actions of a company or political party or famous person; "his title is Director of Communications but he is just a spin doctor"
Old 07-19-2012, 10:50 AM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Scene from a Few Good Auctions

Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Kaffee: I want the truth!
HA: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has auctions. And those auctions have to be run by men with no values. Who's gonna do it? You Mr. Moderator? You Mr. Collector? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for cards you can't afford and you curse the auction houses for having them. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that by cheating collectors, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to run that auction. You need me to run that auction.
We use words like house accounts, consignments, buyer's premium...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent cheating everybody. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very auctions I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on bidding on my cards. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up your collect and go home. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!
HA: (quietly) I did the job I was asked to do.
HA: You're goddamn right I did!!

Case closed.

jeff
This is one of the funniest things I have read on here!!!!
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 07-19-2012, 10:57 AM

Oh yes, I forgot to address the threat of legal action for libel. How is inquiring about the policies and procedures of a company we do/did business with libel? How is questioning the ethics of certain practices (legal or not) libel? Were any untruths stated because that is what you are insinuating. You speak of feeling insulted and then do the same or worse with your insinuation. This has been an opportunity for a PR coup by Heritage if you were to modify your policies so that they are in line with hobby and ethical norms. Instead you have chosen to go on the offensive with this threat. Offending and threatening customers is never a good PR policy.
JimB
Closed Thread