NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2014, 04:30 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default Why are PSA's new population reports so inaccurate?

These really seem to be all over the place. I have researched many T206s with scarcer backs, quite a few have showed no population of any grade. This has been incorrect every single time when I looked further, card target, google, etc...Has anyone else observed this as well?
Old 12-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Fred

Are you saying that PSA is now documenting the "backs" for T206 cards? I don't think they've been accurately doing so in the past so the population reports with backs are probably very unreliable. Also, the crappy part about pop reports (as we all know) is that many of the cards that have been graded may have been broken out of the slab and resubmitted by someone attempting to get a better grade for the card. That can't help those reports at all.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:20 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

I am more confused with SGC's population report than psa's. I looked at SGC's pop report for t206's a few days ago and it is a mess and seems worthless to me.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:38 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

I just tried two more cards , PSA says no population...This is crazy, what am I missing?
Old 12-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Bi11..R0berts

It's in pretty sad shape Kevin, I just looked up a Mordecai Brown card that has had two PSA 5's sell in the past couple of years as shown on Card Target. The Pop reports shows no 5's in existence. I'm at a loss as to how that can happen.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 12-03-2014, 08:05 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Default Which way are you attempting?

Are you using the straight page for T206 or are you doing the search engine?
http://www.psacard.com/Pop/T206

Make sure your browser is up-to-date or you might not see all the coding they added recently.
There are approximately 180 Mordecai Brown (~60 in each pose) listed. Use the drop down [+] to the left of the name to see all the different back breakdowns. They also now have three lines for each "card": the top line is for the straight integer grades (e.g. PSA 6), the second line is for half grades (6.5), and the third line shows the ones with a Qualifier (6MK).

Supposedly they will roll out a new Pop Report and search engine in the Spring, according to Joe Orlando's latest message.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Bi11..R0berts

John, I used the same report as you have in your link. I do have to correct myself, there is only one PSA 5 that sold within the past few years shown on card target (the other was SGC). I could see where the pop reports would show too many of a particular card due to re-subbing, not really sure how one could be lost from the reports though? I'm far from an expert on PSA and cert #'s but could this one (40448789) be old and therefore graded before the pop report came into existence?
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 12-04-2014, 04:06 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
John, I used the same report as you have in your link. I do have to correct myself, there is only one PSA 5 that sold within the past few years shown on card target (the other was SGC). I could see where the pop reports would show too many of a particular card due to re-subbing, not really sure how one could be lost from the reports though? I'm far from an expert on PSA and cert #'s but could this one (40448789) be old and therefore graded before the pop report came into existence?
It's in the database properly.
"Cert Verification
According to the PSA Certification Database, the requested certification number is defined as the following:

ITEM INFORMATION

Cert Verification #: 40448789
Year: 1909-1911
Brand: T206 UNKNOWN BACK
Card Number:
Player: MORDECAI BROWN
Variety: PORTRAIT
Grade: EXCELLENT 5

Population: 35
Population w/Qual: 0
Sport: BASEBALL CARDS
Population Higher: 19
Population (All Backs): 54
Pop Higher (All Backs): 42

Data entry errors occasionally may occur causing the information on the card holder to differ from the PSA database. If the information listed above appears to be incorrect, please contact customer service at 800-325-1121 or email us at info@psacard.com."

What browser are you using? I'm seeing it just fine on IE11.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Clift0n Johns0n

If the card's flip doesn't specify back, that is how the card will show in pop report. I.e. don't look for it under player tolstoi, just look under player. It is only fairly recently that psa has specified back type.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoudeyGum View Post
If the card's flip doesn't specify back, that is how the card will show in pop report. I.e. don't look for it under player tolstoi, just look under player. It is only fairly recently that psa has specified back type.
That must be it, the flip does not identify the back, it all makes sense now. Anyone know about when PSA started identifying the backs on the flip?

John, thanks for checking on the cert. I figured it was legit just couldn't figure out why it didn't show in the pop report. I think GoudeyGum has it figured out.

Thanks guys,
Old 12-05-2014, 02:56 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Only if flip contains

the information is it reflected in the pop. PSA did not keep records of what back the card was prior to labeling the flips with said information. There is no way to verify the backs for pops. The back pops are going forward from the time they began labeling them.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default SGC pop report

I was looking at SGC's pop report for Type 2 Coupons. It is very difficult to decipher this report, because the cards are listed by team name. Many of the cards do not list a team name, so they are at the beginning of the list. (PSA lists their cards alphabetically by the first name of the player.)

So, SGC has 245 separate listings for a set that contains 188 cards (maybe only 185). Tommy Leach is listed 5 times, and he has 3 cards in the set. It must be because their earlier slabs did not note the team name, so we are seeing several listings for some players because of this.

You would think SGC's software would allow them to list by the last name of the player so the pop report would make a little more sense.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.