NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-21-2019, 10:16 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Ummm what happened? I was on vacation. Can someone fill me in?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:23 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
It's on the internet. You can get it at archive.org now if you want. The original poster decided he didn't want all his comments attached to the listings of cards for all eternity. It's still worth knowing that these cards were all part of submissions with cards that were highly likely to have been altered, as viewed in the before and after pictures thread.
So someone spends what must have been days if not weeks working on something, puts it out there publicly, then decides he doesn't want it out there?

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense on its own.

Now if he decided that he was wrong, it would make sense. But the before/after are just too convincing.
Or of a legal threat was made... Yeah, that makes sense.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:30 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
So someone spends what must have been days if not weeks working on something, puts it out there publicly, then decides he doesn't want it out there?

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense on its own.

Now if he decided that he was wrong, it would make sense. But the before/after are just too convincing.
Or of a legal threat was made... Yeah, that makes sense.
Agree... He was probably threatened by an intimidating lawyer representing a client with infinitely more money and resources.

This is truly an uphill battle against money, greed and corruption.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:43 AM

Default cert. numbers in proximity to cards outed on Blowout

Just in case anyone missed this from Sports Collectors Daily:

PWCC Owner Now Has Criminal Defense Attorney; Cooperating with FBI

July 22, 2019 By Rich Mueller

“If Brent does any more good things for the hobby he’s going to end up in prison.”

Whether dealing with accused mobsters or offering an opinion on hobby-related matters, well-known criminal defense attorney Jeff Lichtman usually doesn’t pull punches. As the altered trading cards scandal played out during the spring and early summer, he was an outspoken critic of the owner of the hobby’s largest online auction company, one accused by collectors of selling hundreds of doctored cards.

Now, Brent Huigens is Lichtman’s client.

Jeffrey Lichtman
Defense attorney Jeffrey Lichtman.
The New York-based attorney, an avid card collector who has represented the likes of John Gotti Jr. and Mexican drug lord El Chapo, wrote on the Net54 message board Monday that he had been assisting Huigens. With his comments, Lichtman confirmed that a federal investigation into the ongoing doctored card imbroglio was underway. He also confirmed that cards returned for refunds after they were exposed as altered were being funneled to the FBI.

Lichtman said PWCC has been notifying those who purchased impacted cards and issuing refunds for that were believed to be trimmed or re-colored. One such notice obtained by Sports Collectors Daily earlier this month is below.

Several months ago, a small group of collectors on the Blowout Cards forum began researching and identifying a large number of current and vintage cards that were purchased through PWCC or in other auctions, cracked out of their grading company holders, altered in some fashion, then re-graded by one of the hobby’s three main authenticators and sold again, usually for a significant profit. The “before” and “after” pictures in many cases were undeniable. The card doctors appeared to be consigning a large volume of cards exclusively through PWCC’s platform.

Brent Huigens, owner of PWCC Marketplace.
The Blowout members have identified several people who appear to be connected to the purchase and sale of those cards, but thus far, no charges have been filed. That will likely change now that the FBI is actively investigating what could be the largest case of fraud in the history of the hobby. While much of the focus has been on vintage cards that have been altered, Lichtman has stated on the Net54 board that he believes the size of the fraud involving current era cards will “dwarf the vintage losses.”

In numerous forum posts over the last few months, Lichtman had repeatedly accused his new client of fraud, poking fun at PWCC’s “marketplace tenets” which were aimed at clarifying PWCC’s views on what constitutes an altered card.

“Very similar to Doug Allen: is convinced he’s smarter than everyone he’s defrauding and refuses to keep his mouth shut, insisting upon trying to lie his way out of this. Which of course will come back to bite him,” Lichtman stated on May 19.

Now, the attorney who squared off against Allen and Bill Mastro in the Mastro Auctions shill bidding case is trying to help Huigens deal with this new federal investigation.

“I’d like to clean up as much of this mess as possible and provide some clarity,” he stated Monday.

“Since I began representing Brent, he has been cooperating with the FBI, has reached out to people who purchased altered cards from PWCC and refunded money, and is providing all documentation from his dealings with any and all hobby dealers/consignors. Unlike in Mastro where those defendants destroyed records, ‘cooperated’ minimally and refused to pay back a single dollar of restitution to their victims, I’m actually accomplishing more with Brent to assist the government in getting victims paid back and to stop the fraud. This is why I decided to take the case, after consulting with the FBI.

“As for my opinions on the people involved, whatever I said I believed but was before significant assistance has been provided to the government. But punishment is not my decision.”

Lichtman says not every card “outed” as altered should be considered damaged goods. Some have had corners smoothed without trimming or have been lightly cleaned without chemicals–work that most collectors generally accept. That doesn’t mean PWCC has always denied those refund requests.

“I can tell you that we are erring on the side of giving refunds back,” Lichtman stated. ” This is a fluid situation as I have said. It is not a perfect situation by any means, but it’s a start.”

Lichtman also stated that Huigens and a group he referred to as “other dealers” have agreed to start a restitution fund “to refund money to people who purchased altered cards years ago, well past the statute of limitations time period, even though they are not required to do so by law.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by morris_14226; 07-23-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:47 AM

Default cert. numbers in proximity to cards outed on Blowout

Sorry: Source is Sports Collectors Daily (not Digest)
Earlier post had incorrect source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by morris_14226; 07-23-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Reserved.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-23-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:43 PM

Is this the same list that was originally posted on BO and has all the mock subs? Or is there more somewhere else?