NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-21-2019, 03:17 PM
Jordan J

Default Seeking set building + storage/display guidance

Greetings,

I mostly collect just vintage hall of famers. I have never built a set. I just never saw the value in paying money for commons.

That being said, I have backed into a few budding sets. I have picked up a large number of stars from certain years and in some cases a healthy starting point of commons (by accident). I guess I am moving towards the idea of completing a couple of sets.

With that in mind, my goal would be to complete the sets raw. The biggest value to me of a complete set would be to thumb through it in pages/a binder.

However, in many cases, the stars I have acquired are already slabbed and I do not see me breaking them out. Also, I would feel uneasy buying some of the key cards (IE mantle and high dollar rookies) raw.

What do you guys do? Do you just leave those graded cards separate. Do you buy poor raw versions as place holders. What suggestions might you have?

Any words of wisdom to ease me into paying money for commons?

Thank you all in advance.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:59 PM

I place my commons in a binder. For my graded cards I make a color copy on my Canon printer. I cut the copy ( which is quite good) to make fit into the binder page.

It terms of commons try buy lower graded cards
Old 01-21-2019, 07:02 PM
M.ichael Yaz.back

Great question. Here is what I do. Like you, I enjoy keeping my vintage sets in a binder. I keep the commons and semi stars in regular pages. For the big money cards/graded cards, I still keep them in the binder. I use 4 pocket sheets and place the graded cards in each pocket. I use a graded card sleeve with the sticky adhesive and fold it over the page pocket so they don't fall out. I place the 4 pocket sheets in the front of my binder, or you can place it at the end of your set. Your choice. You may need to purchase a larger binder to account for a few pages of slabs. I think it works great! I use binders that have a slip case as well.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:10 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

^^^^This^^^^ with www.archivalmethods.com

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 01-21-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:17 AM
sfh24

I currently have everything in binders though I have considered the previous mentioned option of using a 4 position sheet for graded cards at the beginning of the set for "key" high value cards. I generally begin to be cautious with cards >$500 in sheets.

All of my sets currently contain many cards that "were graded" which I removed from slabs. I bought them graded for the same reasons you mentioned in that it is more certain way to be comfortable with the authenticity and lack of alteration.

I dont think you can go wrong with any of the mentioned options. However, I really enjoy looking through the pages in anticipation of getting to the high end stars.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:54 AM
Ben W.hitener

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVinnie View Post
I use 4 pocket sheets and place the graded cards in each pocket. I use a graded card sleeve with the sticky adhesive and fold it over the page pocket so they don't fall out.
+1
I do this for slabs i don't want to take out and hold on a regular basis and for larger slabs. Comic book resealable pages work great for larger slabs. I use sealable pages from staples for postcard/sim. sized slabs.

I use the PSA graded card pages (no longer in production) for slabs i like "playing" with
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (60.8 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (77.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (73.1 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (58.3 KB, 180 views)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:28 AM
Bob Andrews

I enjoy reading folks' ideas about this. As for me, I am strictly a 'binder guy', at least as far as my complete set builds go. The graded stars I buy are broken out and placed in their slot. I know it's isn't a sound move value-wise but my goal is to just flip through the pages and enjoy them.

I do keep my more fragile cards like T and E cards in their case, as well as one-offs like my 53B Musial, bought simply because it's so beautiful. But if I ever get around to collecting the 53 set, Stan will get 'freed'!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:42 AM
sfh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
I enjoy reading folks' ideas about this. As for me, I am strictly a 'binder guy', at least as far as my complete set builds go. The graded stars I buy are broken out and placed in their slot. I know it's isn't a sound move value-wise but my goal is to just flip through the pages and enjoy them.

I do keep my more fragile cards like T and E cards in their case, as well as one-offs like my 53B Musial, bought simply because it's so beautiful. But if I ever get around to collecting the 53 set, Stan will get 'freed'!
That has been my practice as well. Glad to see I am not alone.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:51 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I have a few binders but they just take up so much room. Most of my sets are in boxes.

Last edited by LuckyLarry; 01-23-2019 at 01:43 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

I moved most of mine out of binders a few years ago. Sometimes the pages droop and bend the cards, unless you store the binders flat. Or at least they did for me. I generally use the shoebox sized boxes and put the cards either in sleeves or in a sleeve in a toploader depending on condition. A lot of my older Topps are in vg or worse, so I don't even bother with sleeves for them. (Also on budget, and whether I feel like putting a 700+ card set into sleeves. )

I keep the graded cards in their own storage area, a table I built with storage sized specifically for regular size slabs.

I use spreadsheets as checklists, mostly just a grid for the numbers, marked with h if I have the card and H if it's fairly nice. Graded ones are marked with the grade. That lets me check on stuff if I'm looking online, or lets me go through new cards quickly. Three piles, extras, possible upgrades, and ones I need.