NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Default Card storage

Posted By: Neil

I read some other threads about storing cards in a bank, has anyone else here used a Mosler safe? I store my 1964+ cards and any new prewar cards will go there too, that way I can look at them when ever I want. I have this in my house and this type of safe is one of the few things that survived in the 9/11 attacks tower collapses.

http://www.surplusserver.com/products/Security-Lockers-GSA/14/Mosler_GSA_Rated_Four_Drawer_Container.html

Old 01-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Default Card storage

Posted By: Seth Nagdeman

I would recommend http://www.Megasafe.com. The owners name is Amos. They deal in high security safes and vault rooms. Megasafe supplies most of the Diamond Exchange in NYC (47th St.). They have a nice selection of used safes - http://www.megasafe.com/products/specials.php rather than investing in a brand new one. We have dealt with them and they do a nice job.

Seth
http://www.19thCenturyOnly.com

Old 01-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Default Card storage

Posted By: David G

Are there any moisture problems with keeping cards in a fire safe? I have a small fire safe that I use for insurance papers etc and it gets rather moist inside. I have always wanted to purchase a larger safe for my cards but have been worried about damaging them.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Default Card storage

Posted By: Seth Nagdeman

David,

I would recommend that you go with at least a UL listed TL30 safe. This is the minimum level of safes that I have dealt with and from that level on up I have never had a problem. We keep our safes climate controlled and I would recommend doing this to prevent any issues.

The safe you are referring to sounds like it may be a TL15. If you have your safe underground in concrete, or in a basement that may be why you are having a moisture problem.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Default Card storage

Posted By: jackgoodman

You can buy several different types of dessicants (that absorb moisture) from companies that sell archival supplies. I've put a couple in my boxes in the bank and they do a good job of keeping moisture off the cards. I can look up the name of the archival company I used if anyone is interested.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Default Card storage

Posted By: identify7

I wonder what a safe's 1 hour at 150F rating means, in relation to a fire. Heck 150F is way below boiling water - so a fire has to be a lot hotter than that. But you would hope that the fire wouldn't last for an hour.

Actually in my house it couldn't burn that long in any part of the house. There just ain't enuff fuel. But I wonder about the peak temperature that a safe can witstand while keeping its contents cool enough.

Perhaps the distributors would know, and wouldn't bs me. Yeah right.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Default Card storage

Posted By: Cobby33

Jack: If you could provide the name/website, that would be really helpful. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Default Card storage

Posted By: jackgoodman

Here's the website. I think it was page 23 and 24 of the catalog for the desiccants. Plus a bunch of other really neat stuff.

http://www.archivalware.com/

This is the mainpage for the company:

http://archivalsuppliers.com/shop/