NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-14-2019, 12:03 PM
je.sse @rnot

Default Masters

Who's watching? One for the ages.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I watched and will never understand why people still root for this guy. But good for him, he deserved to win.

Last edited by Jim65; 04-14-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:21 PM
je.sse @rnot

I don't understand why people wouldn't root for him. But it was exciting to watch either way. I read earlier in the week some guy bet 85k at 14 to 1 on Tiger so I bet he was a lot more excited than most.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 04-14-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Obviously, it's the Year of the Tiger:

First, Clemson wins the National Championship

Then, Auburn get to its first Final Four.

...and now, the Greatest Golfer ever returns.

too bad actual Tigers are endangered and may become extinct in our lifetimes.
=

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 04-14-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Mother Goose was wrong about Humpty Dumpty. Incredible.

Whether you like Tiger Woods or hate him is really beside the point. This man was beyond dead in his sport. And now, into his 40s, after almost a decade and a half, he has won another green jacket. For me it's right up there with Watson at age 59 just one putt away from winning the British Open.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-14-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:00 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

too bad actual Tigers are endangered and may become extinct in our lifetimes.
=
Gee I hadn't heard that about Detroit.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

I am amazed at the apparent lack of interest in this remarkable triumph and comeback. Oh well, back to the Mets game or whatever.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:35 PM
je.sse @rnot

Same here Peter. This will go down as one of the greatest individual achievements in the history of sports. I'd say it's even more impressive than Jack in 86 due to the fact that Tiger couldn't even walk a couple of years ago and was written off long ago.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Same here Peter. This will go down as one of the greatest individual achievements in the history of sports. I'd say it's even more impressive than Jack in 86 due to the fact that Tiger couldn't even walk a couple of years ago and was written off long ago.
Yeah, Nicklaus never really fell out of the upper echelon of players, was his win at age 46 a surprise yes but a shock not really. Woods, on the other hand, was completely dead and gone. To have gone from that mug shot a few years back to this, is miraculous and then some. A moment for the ages IMO.

Speaking of Nicklaus, to me perhaps his most impressive tournament ever was his 5th place in Augusta in the late 90s at age 57 or something. His body was pretty much gone and his swing was a ghost of itself. But the skill level, and the golf intelligence, my God.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-15-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 PM
je.sse @rnot

Yea I saw this one Facebook earlier. Hope no one takes this as a political comment, just funny in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-1.jpg (63.0 KB, 90 views)
Old 04-16-2019, 04:24 AM
H Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yeah, Nicklaus never really fell out of the upper echelon of players, was his win at age 46 a surprise yes but a shock not really. Woods, on the other hand, was completely dead and gone. To have gone from that mug shot a few years back to this, is miraculous and then some. A moment for the ages IMO.

Speaking of Nicklaus, to me perhaps his most impressive tournament ever was his 5th place in Augusta in the late 90s at age 57 or something. His body was pretty much gone and his swing was a ghost of itself. But the skill level, and the golf intelligence, my God.
Not a big golf follower, but Woods does make it much more interesting for casual fans like me. Did hear sports talk here and they mentioned Jack was 17`th starting that Sunday and down 6 strokes going into the last 9 holes and still won, amazing, especially at 46 !
Old 04-16-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Disagree. Jack had to shoot 7 under on the last 10 holes to win and that included a bogey. On 15-16-17-18, Jack went eagle-birdie-birdie-par to close out the tournament. Tiger went birdie-birdie-par-bogey.

Woods missed 2 years to injuries, but his last 2 majors last year he finished 6th and 2nd. It was expected that he would be competing for wins in the majors this year, especially the first 3. Jack was pretty much done and came from nowhere on the last 10 holes to win.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Nicklaus' round was more remarkable, no question. But Woods' overall comeback out of the gutter into which he had fallen was, to me, much more compelling.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:03 PM
je.sse @rnot

Plus the birdie on 16 basically won the tournament. If he needed another birdie or even two pars he probably would have gotten them. But he did what he needed to do to get the win against a crowded and talented leader board. Not taking anything away from 86 I still believe this will go down as the greatest comeback and performance in Masters history. And even if it doesn't it sure was fun to watch.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:56 PM
FredYoung

Big golf fan---Masters my favorite tourney of all, been watching it for many yrs! This one outshone them all!

Love him or hate him, the excitement of anticipation as to whether he could win again was electric!
Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default Tiger !!! Tiger !!! Tiger !!! Tiger !!!

TIGER !!! TIGER !!! TIGER !!! TIGER !!!
HEARING THOSE endless CHANTS as he walked of the green sent shivers down my spine , and the image of the group hugs with his kids were priceless.
WOW
check out the 4 minutes of CBS coverage AFTER Tiger PUTTS OUT
https://www.yahoo.com/news/tiger-woo...165656910.html

Last edited by megalimey; 04-17-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:33 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Nicklaus' round was more remarkable, no question. But Woods' overall comeback out of the gutter into which he had fallen was, to me, much more compelling.
One of my golfing buddies used to say, "Nicklaus didn't play that back 9, God came down and did." Minus the bogey I guess.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
One of my golfing buddies used to say, "Nicklaus didn't play that back 9, God came down and did." Minus the bogey I guess.
The eagle on 15 was one of the great moments in the history of the game, IMO. At that point you just knew he was going to win. And at the other end of the scale, what a huge blown lead by Seve. I still remember the SI article quipping how on the 11th tee he was phoning ahead his measurements for the green jacket.