NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default Insurance vs. Safe? Or both?

I would love to get opinions on this pertaining collections. Which is the better avenue, keeping in mind that the cards never travel to shows and basically stay put? How much is a state of the art Safe vs. an insurance policy of around $1500 per year? I would really love to hear thoughts on this....thanks

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-15-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Sean Brennan

I'm wondering the same thing. I think i can get a decent safe for around $300 but Im worried about condensation and such. How much are insurance policies usuallly per year?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:23 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. I think i can get a decent safe for around $300 but Im worried about condensation and such. How much are insurance policies usuallly per year?
Sean- that's a good point...I do to, but all of my cards are graded. Are they protected in the grading cases in the Safe? I would think so....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-15-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

They serve two different roles. Someone once told me that locks only deter honest people. A safe basically guards against opportunistic sticky fingers and kids. A professional thief will crack your safe--or steal it outright if it can be moved. If you happen to be on the losing end of a robbery you will find yourself opening a safe at gunpoint. The other issue is casualty loss. If your cards are in there during a fire you'll have crispy critters in wet, melted plastic at the end because even the best fire rated safes won't keep the temperatures down enough to not melt the holders and aren't waterproof. Insurance is a financial bet against loss. I prefer far and away to do both: keep the items I really like in a safe deposit box and insure everything, and not worry about the a financial loss on top of the hard work of collecting going down the crapper if catastrophe strikes. I'd be very sad if my collection got stolen or burned up but the proceeds of the insurance would go a long way towards soothing the pain, and you don't get that with a safe.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-15-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Go back and search this board. There have been several threads on the subject. However, to give a short answer, your collection up to a certain dollar amount is covered under your homeowners insurance. Call your insurance company and ask them -that's what they are there for. Insuring anything above that amount costs extra - either with them or a supplemental carrier - and runs in the general range of .6 to 1.0% of the declared replacement value (I.e. about $250/year for a $30,000 policy).
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Brent

I just bought a house and fortunately for me the builder installed a sprinkler system all throughout the house. Not too worried about fire....Just thieves I suppose.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Bruce C@rter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
If your cards are in there during a fire you'll have crispy critters in wet, melted plastic at the end because even the best fire rated safes won't keep the temperatures down enough to not melt the holders and aren't waterproof.
This is not totally true. They make media safes that do not get over 150deg. inside. They are also water proof. They do cost a lot though. I went this way when I bought a safe. I bought it mainly to protect from fire. I look at my cards as pieces of art and if they burn up then they are gone for ever. Money will not bring them back. They are insured also of course. Should they get stolen I would like to get my money back. They are still out there though and not destroyed.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Kenny Cole

Safe deposit box at the bank. Less than $100 a year. Very little issue with thieves breaking in or losing cards to fire or water damage.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Sean- that's a good point...I do to, but all of my cards are graded. Are they protected in the grading cases in the Safe? I would think so....
I'm not sure that cards in slabs would be protected from moisture in a fireproof safe. Years ago I had some cards in one of those smaller Sentry fireproof safes, and the fire retardant produced so much moisture within the safe that it caused some of my PSA fips to get moist -- they became a bit warped and wavy. It did not have time to affect the cards that I noticed, but it sure made the flips look weird. At the time, this scared the crap out of me, so going forward I put the stacks of slabs in large ziplock baggies (double bagged), and that seemed to solve the moisture issue.

I don't believe PSA cases are airtight (not sure about SGC, although BGS is bulletproof). I now go the safety deposit box route, and I am considering adding insurance.

Last edited by CW; 01-15-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Safe deposit box at the bank. Less than $100 a year. Very little issue with thieves breaking in or losing cards to fire or water damage.
Yep, best way to go.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

i mocked up a policy a couple weeks ago with CollectInsure.com and it wasn't too bad at all.

Just over $600/yr to insure $125,000 with a travel policy as well. That's with a safe and home security system so i'm sure i got a few dollars off for those brownie points. They also build in a little room for collection expansion every year too.

here's a good thread on net54 about the topic:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ight=insurance

both is the way to go in my opinion.

Last edited by sdkammeyer; 01-16-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
If the SD box gets robbed - there is no bank insurence on it

What about a big dog?
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 01-19-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:58 PM
David G0ld

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkammeyer View Post
i mocked up a policy a couple weeks ago with CollectInsure.com and it wasn't too bad at all.

Just over $600/yr to insure $125,000 with a travel policy as well. That's with a safe and home security system so i'm sure i got a few dollars off for those brownie points. They also build in a little room for collection expansion every year too.

here's a good thread on net54 about the topic:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ight=insurance

both is the way to go in my opinion.
I own a 2hr fire rated gun safe for my cards and valuable items and paper. I use collect insure.com as well. Luckily I have never had to make a claim.

From their website:
Broader and more comprehensive than homeowners insurance, the policy provides for most causes of loss unless specifically excluded. Covered causes of loss include but are not limited to:

mail loss
theft
fire
flooding
natural disasters
breakage
Old 01-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Barry Arnold

Default kevin

my vote is for safes, safe deposit box, insurance, and an alarm system.
with the great grades your cards have, you probably should have these and more.
all the best,
barry
Old 01-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
What about a big dog?

my 3 year old female german shepherd is the first line of defense and is probably worth more (she is trained) than a safe or an alarm .... but having all 3 never hurts
Old 01-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

"A professional thief will crack your safe"

yup...all the thiefs are expert safe crackers once they turn pro these days...i read it on the innnernet
Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Or steal it outright. I once had two safes stolen out of my condo. Unfortunately for the thieves, they were empty.

I am less worried about a thief cracking a safe than a robber cracking my family's heads to force them to open a safe.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-20-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Arnie

I have insurance, its not that expensive really. I want my cards easy to look at and enjoy. If stolen, hopefully i will get enough money to have fun buying my collection all over again!! Not that i want it to be stolen!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:20 AM
nels0n aud.et

Both
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 AM
John Smithwick

If you buy a safe, get a real one from a safe company, not one of those you can buy at a hardware or office supply store. Also, know where you're going to put. A good safe could weigh upwards to a ton and once it's in position, it ain't movin'.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Ed Cavagnaro

Besides a good fire rated safe you can always add a smaller fire/waterproof safe for your most important cards and place it inside the larger safe for extra protection.