NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Default A Trend? Or is This the Way the Board has Become?

Posted By: barrysloate

I could I suppose. I think maybe Peter needs a breather from the board. I say that with no malice, but with just a measure of common sense.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Hi Barry,
Nice to see you over here! SUHHHH Your new post about the new find is so pure and on topic your taking a big risk that the starter of "The Resistance Movement" Will visit there and wreck it!! He might come up with one of his gems like Why was it held on Wednesday,Thursday,and Friday and not on Monday or Tuesday? Could it be that they were using alcohol on Saturday ,Sunday? No smiley face!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I'll cross that bridge if I have to.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Arrggghhhh!

Leon - when are you going to install the O/T link at the top of the home page?????

Rob M.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Here is another scenario that has been brought to my attention. The board starts with knowledgeable people that contribute there years of knowledge and expertise. As the board progresses and they grow disinterested in the board direction, new interested people with some knowledge begin to participate without the knowledge of the previous research and data, they become they "word" of the subject but they actually are giving less information or the wrong information because they do not have the information from the previous people of knowledge. This is a diegression for not only the hobby but the people involved.

I am really surprised Leon that you still think the way you do since many that have asked to bring focus back to the board are many that have been solid contributors to quality card threads. I get the same feeling from them that I myself have. If things do not change I will greatly curtail my posts here. I think a Off Topic link is the best solution since there seems to be support for these posts.

When will Peter C. ever be wrangled in I do not see how he is not a troll to this board.

Dan, I don't think that anyone has claimed that there were NO O/T threads in the past, they were less frequent and didn't dominate the front page.

Lee

Old 10-24-2007, 04:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Don't forget, the whole point of Leon originally leaving the board and starting a new one was because he said the board had lost focus and there were too many OT posts. He felt that board needed to be more focused on cards and not other things. Since board seems to have regressed, at least in topics, to the old days under Bill C, I guess Leon doesn't find so bad any more and I would think owes Bill C an apology for the grief he put Bill through during that time.

Jay

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

troll to this board........

Old 10-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Administrator

I would like the new people on the board to realize that this is not the first time this topic was a concern of members. Many like to belief that the ones that are gone are big instigators and cause problems. There has been a history of others, here is one example that is on topic for this thread.

Keeping the board on track was brought to the attention of the moderator. This person did not feel he did a satisfactory job in keeping the board on track. This person than started his own board. After a few months we were back to one board.

This person is Leon. If there is anything that not factual about this please refresh me.

I would like to know Leon how and why you have changed your mind so drastically today from the day you started another board. I know what your feelings about the topic is now, but how did it change so?

Lee

Old 10-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

With the way the board is split up now, with different sections, it makes the pre-war card side be more card focused. I/we have always wanted a focused board, with respect to the few off topics which are permitted, and always have been... Memorabilia has it's own side now. The Post War guys have some good threads on their side too. Focused forums!! I think it's working pretty well!!... best regards

Old 10-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Administrator

So why not make an off topic off shoot? The others have worked out nice, I think an off topic would serve the same purpose, at least the other stuff was baseball related.

lee

Old 10-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Lee,

Just let it go. You complain about OT postings, yet you have created, and prolonged, an OT thread about OT postings. We're at 157+ post and you're still harping on the same things.

Yes, the board isn't what it used to be. Five years from now, it will be different still. Message boards evolve (or devolve, I suppose you feel), but they never stay stagnant. When I go back to the early posts, I'm surprised at how consistent this board has been.

There is no limit or cap on anyone talking about vintage cards. Some on the board have done a very good job of staying on topic. Some of us (myself included) don't always follow that concept. That's the way message boards, and life in general, are.

Post on vintage cards. Post on sets. Post on Grading. Post on auctions. Don't post on "how it used to be." Move on. Everyone else already has.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Jim VB, You will find that I have probably posted a dozen times in relavent threads since I started this thread. I came to this board I think as everyone did, to learn knowledge about vintage baseball cards. I have gained a great deal of knowledge from this board, but if it weren't for Ted Zs research threads on T206s I don't I have seen much relavent knowledge in the last year or so and alot of threads that have nothing to do with vintage baseball.

I have a passion for the hobby and for more knowledge, in my eyes this has disintegrated which I hate to see but if it continues in a way it is to be regressing to I will post very little and become more of a lurker answering by email.

I have researched and dug deep to find any information I can on the T202 set and I don't feel that there are many people out there that know more than me, certainly not anyone that frequents the board. This is an asset that will be lost as we have lost many other knowledgable contribuators in the past.

I have gained some nice friendships through this board that will continue but it gets frustrating when you can't come and read about vintage baseball cards and have to see threads about steroids, how many HRs will ARod hit.

Many of you like to to the people that are passionate about this hobby and voice their opinion. You will find that most of these people are the ones will alot of knowledge and are willing to share it.

I do not feel I have out stepped my bounds maybe a little redundant but I feel this is my last resort on my part to try what I feel is this board more directed towards card talk again.

Lee

Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Nieves

" 'Remember When' is the lowest form of conversation." -- Tony Soprano

Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Lee, I have learned quite a bit about vintage cards from this board in the past year...I would argue that there has been much more information given out than just Ted Z's posts (Which are some of the very best this board has ever offered I might add). We saw a few new discoveries, we learned we can not trust the auction houses as much as we thought when it comes to altering cards, I finally got answers to some of my N172 questions....and yes we also learned more than we ever wanted to know about cockfighting. I guess I just don't see what the big deal is...Jay and Scott started up the other board and while I don't see any off topic posts on the main board I also don't see any real discussion going on either. There is plenty of knowledge over there so why isn't there more discussion?

Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Supply & demand.
If there's not much action on a certain thread (Vintage cards or not), then there is simply not enough interest or information. Not every thread has to go 200 posts and some don't even deserve 1.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

This thread sucks! It's another attempt to rip on Leon. The board is solid other then a few threads here and there. This may be one of the "there" threads.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Jim VB,

Agreement--I can't believe people are still being lectured to here.

To presume that everyone comes here to "learn about vintage bb cards" is wrong. I came here to discuss issues related to the vintage baseball card hobby--most notably all of those surrounding graded cards. I don't read Ted's posts and I do not read many others that relate to particular sets I care little about. Doesn't mean they are not valid posts just like it doesn't mean that a detaied study of the pops of T205 vs T206 is not valid.

From experience I can also say that threatening to leave or post less doesn't really have an impact. Usually life goes on and the poster after a period of time comes back.

Seems to me like the other board goes into a lot of the nitty gritty issues in depth--great, they have found a niche. Also the great Kevin Saucier posts there occasionally or more so it is a must check for me.

Seems obvious but just post something of interest on vintage cards, posters should show great restraint on OT posts and relax.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

thought I would check in and see what the ruckus was all about...seems silly.

Should change the subject/title to: Current Fight Thread.