NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Default Would you be offended?

Posted By: leon

I am continually amazed at the amount of intelligent folks that continue to say not to auction the item when it's been reiterated that it is not going to be. As a matter of fact the helmet will most likely be sold in a private sale resulting from this thread.....But please....keep convincing me about not doing it. BTW, it really was a good debate otherwise....best regards

Old 04-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mr.Charlie

That postcard is interesting, but perhaps a little misleading. Swastika is a Sanskrit term and is found in Hindu, Buddhist, and Jain literature. Since there is no "L" in Sanskrit, I don't see how its iconography could possible symbolize the love, life, etc. It is a nice sentiment, but was probably made by somebody with good intentions and half-knowledge.

I can't tell you how many times people have forwarded e-mails to me that are purportedly quoting the Dalai Lama when it is obvious to anybody that knows anything about the Dalai Lama or Tibetan Buddhism that they are not quotes from him. They are usually made up by well-meaning New Agers who probably think people will take their cool thoughts more seriously if they are attributed to the Dalai Lama.

Hitler seems to have been sort of obsessed with Sanskrit (though he could not read it) and the peoples who used it - the Aryans. His understanding was twisted and distorted. The Aryans were actually Persians from modern-day Iran who migrated and invaded the Indian sub-continent (actually the area bordering Pakistan and India) about 3500 years ago. They brought with them a group of sacred texts in Sanskrit known as the Vedas and a religious tradition that became the forerunner of Classical Hinduism. "Aryan" literally translates as "superior one" and there is evidence that the Aryans saw themselves as racially superior to the indigenous South Asians. In the Buddhist Sanskrit (beginning around 2100 years ago), the term "arya" took on a different meaning. An arya was still a superior one, but the meaning of "superior one" was a person who had cultivated direct experiential wisdom of the nature of reality. It connoted a spiritual attainment and that is still the sense of the term today in Buddhist cultures and literature.

All of this was lost on Hitler. I doubt he would have wanted to be racially aligned with Persians or religiously with Buddhists. But because Sanskrit and Latin are the two roots of the Indo-European language family, he seemed to think there was significance there for him.
JimB

edited one grammatical point.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

So why so pissy on the last post Leon? You did ask for more feedback on the question you raised.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 04-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Sometimes we can say things on the board that seem to get overlooked and folks keep at the subject. I did want feedback, got it with respect to having it in the auction, then made an easy decision not to do it. I then reiterated it as I think folks were still trying to convince me not to do it. After that you seemed to be trying to convince me not to do it too...which I had reiterated wasn't going to happen. HOWEVER I did say to continue the debate so it's my bad for not being more explanatory. It was my mistake for not saying something like "please continue the debate in general but my mind is made up."......so my apologies .....regards

Old 04-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Jim, I've only forwarded you the Lama's quotes that I learned from Caddyshack. Please don't burst my bubble and tell me that they aren't genuine.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Jeff,
Those are absolutely genuine, as is the one about the Dalai Lama asking the NYC hot dog vender to make him one with everything.
JimB

Old 04-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

This begs the question then...

What would the Lama say if he saw this Nazi helmet at the bottom of a 10, 000 sqft crevice?

...the flowing robes, the grace, bald...striking

Old 05-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt R

I think it is an important piece of history I wouldn't mind having it myself as a reminder of a sad time in world history. However, from a public relations and business perspective I would not list it in the auction. The risk of potential fall out is not worth the reward.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

just saw this thread, Leon, but gosh...I wouldn't bother including this.

potentially offensive, non-sport, sets a weird precedent & you may not want to go down whatever road it may take you...
just my penny...good luck with the auction...
oh-and I just took a peek at the preview - I love that you might consider doing mixed lots that include more recent years (1950s-70s baseball)...

Old 05-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Administrator

I believe several times above I stated it won't be run in our auction. There was someone interested in this item and I am happy to say it has a new home with someone that collects this kind of stuff. I made nothing off of it but just put 2 people in touch......it was a happy ending....and our first auction should be pretty good without this controversial item..

Old 05-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Fouch

I definitely wouldn't do it, Leon. Let us know what you decide.

Rob

Old 05-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Hey Leon -- what's with putting Hitler's car up on your inaugral auction?