NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Default Question regarding storage of Autograph Baseballs

Posted By: Neal

I have a bunch of autographed baseballs and just started too look at some. I noticed a few are starting to get yellowish in color. I store them out of any sort of direct light. They are stored in a dark walk in closet up on a shelve. I also use those Damp Rids to take out any moisture in closets.

Any idea why they are turning yellow?

Thanks you!

Old 05-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

If they are Rawlings OAL/ONL balls, I'll take a stab and guess that they were manufactured between the late 1970's-1999. League presidents would include MacPhail, Feeney, Coleman, Brown, White, Giamatti, Budig, etc. Rawlings baseballs manufactured within said time frame were produced using inferior hide. Most baseballs from this era have turned yellow or exhibit "spotting". There's nothing you can do to prevent it, although it does help that you are storing them out of any direct source of light. The modern Rawlings OMLB Selig balls are standing up much better, which is great news, although time will tell. The quality of leather currently being used is exponentially superior. I've also noticed that the hide on the OMLB balls appears to be grittier, grainier, if you will.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Neal

Thank you Jodi. Most are on Bobby Brown Baseballs!

Old 05-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator

No problem.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David R

I have noticed that the ink on a lot of my autographed baseballs is starting to fade quite a bit. Most of these were signed in the 1980s. They are stored in a dark closet. Anything that can be done? I fear they will be gone altogether in another 10 or 20 years.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Administrator

No, I'm afraid you're out of luck. Just keep storing them out of direct light as you have been doing.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

Would shellack be able to stop the fading? Were old-time collectors right about using it in some cases?

Old 05-05-2008, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard S. Simon

Shellac would stop the fading but ruin the look of the ball.
In today's hobby shellac is a no-no.
--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 05-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: shelly jaffe

You might try shrink wrap with UV coating. It has worked for me for many years. Jodi is correct about the spotting and yellowing. The shrink wrap prevents smears and keeps the autograph from getting lighter.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Administrator

I would have to disagree with Shelly's advice. Shrink wrap (even a high-tech UV, PVC-free type)can also have dire consequences. I would still recommend that you do nothing to the balls other than what you have been doing. There is NOTHING that can be done to eradicate/restore the time-induced fading of ink. Baseballs, bats and equipment are so inconsistent and temperamental insofar as signatures remaining bold over time is concerned. Collectors in these mediums have to take that fact as par for the course. If this bothers you too much (as it always has me), I would recommend that you choose a lower-maintenance form of signed sports collectible. Flat items are the best, the smaller the better.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: shelly jaffe

Jodie, what problems to do you find with shrink wrap? I have had balls for almost 15 years with no problems. The main reason I do it is for the safety of the autograph. It does not prevent the ball from turning yellow.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Shellie, I guess you should consider yourself fortunate that your balls haven't yellowed. On the whole, I've actually encountered MORE problems with shrink-wrapped balls. I have never used this method myself, but have seen extra uneven spotting/yellowing occur in other collectors' shrink-wrapped assemblages. I don't know what causes this--I can only speak of what I have witnessed firsthand. And I suppose it goes without saying that the balls in question were all from the 1980's-90's (ONL/OAL).