NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-03-2016, 01:04 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Default baseball playoffs

nfl may be #1, nba have the most visible stars, hockey is trying to stay relevant...but i'm a baseball fan from way back and this is the best time of the year! let the crapshoot-ness begins...

some observations:

--injuries have probably ended clev and wash years.
--jake arrieta turned back into a pumpkin (i'm probably still sore abt him winning CY over kershaw and greinke)
--the cubs are the overwhelming favs so that means they probably won't win
--by the metrics bos is the best AL team and should make it to WS...but tex have home field WTF
--rooting for blue jays over balt so we have more international incidents
--f*** the giants and those BATs( bay area tools)
--finally LET'S GO DODGERS~!

Last edited by chaddurbin; 10-03-2016 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:16 AM
Nick Barnes

due to the influx of teams into the playoffs (first with the wildcard and now 2 wildcard teams per league) the playoffs are becoming more and more of a crapshoot than ever before. Predicting the winner is pretty tough.

best teams would probably be Boston vs Cubs

result will probably be something screwy like Cleveland vs Giants
Old 10-03-2016, 10:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

I fear the Indians of Cleveland.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
due to the influx of teams into the playoffs (first with the wildcard and now 2 wildcard teams per league) the playoffs are becoming more and more of a crapshoot than ever before. Predicting the winner is pretty tough.

best teams would probably be Boston vs Cubs

result will probably be something screwy like Cleveland vs Giants
Even year -- it's Giants time again. And the addition of Cueto sure doesn't hurt.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Even year -- it's Giants time again. And the addition of Cueto sure doesn't hurt.
true, but their bats are pretty lousy and their pen sketchy.... IDK, I like the Indians team, but if Texas gets good pitching from their top 3,(or if they meet the Red Sox in the ALCS) their massive offense could get them in. (seriously, a Rangers vs Red Sox ALCS would be 8-7 every night!)

Last edited by bravos4evr; 10-03-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:13 AM
qu@n nguy3n

I think giants get past NY but no way their even year magic will escape the cubs curse... That narrative is more powerful this year and the cubs patient lineup will wear out sf starters and get to the weak Giants bullpen.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
I think giants get past NY but no way their even year magic will escape the cubs curse... That narrative is more powerful this year and the cubs patient lineup will wear out sf starters and get to the weak Giants bullpen.
this makes perfect baseball sense except... Cubs.

They will find way to Cubs it up again.BUT.......maybe not, hell the Red Sox finally won right?
Old 10-03-2016, 05:09 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I am mourning a very unCardinals-like season by the Cardinals.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:28 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
--f*** the giants and those BATs( bay area tools)
--finally LET'S GO DODGERS~!
Haha... I thought we were supposed dislike you SoCal'ers, and you were just supposed to not care. Regardless, I also love the MLB post season, and love that the Giants v Dodgers passion is alive and well!

Go Giants!!... and "Don't look at me!"

(not for a second taking the Mets for granted, that's a gonna be great game on Wed... but if the Giants can get by the NYM, I love the match up vs the Cubs)
Old 10-04-2016, 01:18 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Nothing personal Ian, just baseball
Old 10-04-2016, 02:34 PM
E®© Eńlø

Location: Home of the 11-Time World Champion St. Louis Cardinals

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
++++1
Old 10-04-2016, 03:01 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
unCardinals-like season?

They finished 86-76. Sure they finished in 2nd place in the NL and didn't make the playoffs, but that doesn't mean they didn't play to their normal standards.

2006: 83-78
2007: 78-84
2008: 86-76
2009: 91-71
2010: 86-76
2010: 90-72
2012: 88-74
2013: 97-65
2014: 90-72
2015: 100-62

They seemed very inline with the last 10 years.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:03 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
unCardinals-like season?

They finished 86-76. Sure they finished in 2nd place in the NL and didn't make the playoffs, but that doesn't mean they didn't play to their normal standards.

I was referring more to their relatively at least for them starting pitching and not very reliable infield defense this year. It got very frustrating to watch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Best game of the post season may be Wednesday night with Bumgarner and Syndergaard. That game may turn out 1-0 with no more than 5 hits for each team.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 10-04-2016 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled the Mets pitchers name
Old 10-04-2016, 03:05 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
unCardinals-like season?

There were also a lot of frustrating instances of outfielders throwing to the wrong base and just not being very fundamentally sound.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:22 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I thought the same thing Robert. The Cards record is somewhat in line, but the fundamental playmaking seemed to be missing this year. But look at me, a Royals fan talking. We have some issues to tend to this off season. GM says KC will have to cut back on payroll ( living beyond their means ), and it's unlikely the team will be able to sign Hosmer longterm.

Well, never mind the income generated from the AS game in 2012, and post season appearances the past two seasons, and getting to the Series. Not sure where THAT money went????

Apparently the $$$ went to pay Gordon. If the GM spent money that could have been used to sign Hosmer, this was a very bad mistake. The same could be said for the $$$ used to sign Kennedy.

Unless Moore was told directly from Hosmer that he will not sign. Appears that 2017 will be Hosmer's last season in KC....
Old 10-04-2016, 09:32 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Nothing personal Ian, just baseball
Totally, I'm just playing too.

I went to school in SLO, front lines in the N CA vs SoCal tussle. It was re-affirmed to me over and over that we caredway more than you guys about all of it-- the water, the sports, and our general "Beat LA!" mentality, which sort of made us come across as up tight and insecure... while you guys typically seemed too involved doing other fun things to be bothered by the rivalry. Jim Rome (SoCal native, school in SB) further reinforces this POV occasionally on his show.

So with this said, I love it when things flare up a bit, and there some fire coming from So Cal. The Bum vs Puig thing is ridiculous but marvelous at the same time. The Dodgers' T-shirts were funny as hell, but then the Giants swept LA response. Was at Friday's game, Posey got knocked down then brushed back in the same AB, and Belt got drilled. It's been intense between the teams, and great theater all year. Oh man, I so want an LA vs SF NLCS.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:50 PM
D@le Irv*n

EDWIN!!

The Texas series is going to be a gooder, I think?!?!
Old 10-04-2016, 10:45 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Epic first game, I think tex was rooting for Baltimore.

Madbum vs Noah should be a classic if Thor shows up... U know Madbum is gonna bring it and he will render the Mets lefties useless granderson Bruce loney etc.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:56 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
I thought the same thing Robert. The Cards record is somewhat in line, but the fundamental playmaking seemed to be missing this year. But look at me, a Royals fan talking. We have some issues to tend to this off season. GM says KC will have to cut back on payroll ( living beyond their means ), and it's unlikely the team will be able to sign Hosmer longterm.

Well, never mind the income generated from the AS game in 2012, and post season appearances the past two seasons, and getting to the Series. Not sure where THAT money went????

Apparently the $$$ went to pay Gordon. If the GM spent money that could have been used to sign Hosmer, this was a very bad mistake. The same could be said for the $$$ used to sign Kennedy.

Unless Moore was told directly from Hosmer that he will not sign. Appears that 2017 will be Hosmer's last season in KC....
I agree. Hosmer would have been better money spent than Gordon. When you're a mid-market team, like KC and StL, there is only so much $ to go around. Therein lies the importance of a solid farm system to produce the players.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:51 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Wow, MadBum is just unreal. Have seen the stat folks pick apart his game a bit, but he's so much more than his stats. This includes the total confidence he projects to the rest of the team in these otherwise super high pressure ballgames.

I also hear the "W" doesn't matter anymore, and am guessing Thor's FIP or WAR or whatever was better than Bum tonight (based on K's), but one guy goes 7 and leaves after 105 pitches (nice game)... one guys goes 120 pitches and rips that W. In October, I'll take the second guy anytime.

Go Giants!!
Old 10-05-2016, 11:35 PM
pariah1107

108 double stitches in a baseball, 108 years since the Cubs last World Series parade. Chicago in a walk.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:39 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
I agree. Hosmer would have been better money spent than Gordon. When you're a mid-market team, like KC and StL, there is only so much $ to go around. Therein lies the importance of a solid farm system to produce the players.

Agreed.

Unfortunantly, KC has wiffed on their first and second round picks during the past 15 much more than hit on them.

Teams with market size like KC has got to nail those draft picks.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Agreed.

Unfortunantly, KC has wiffed on their first and second round picks during the past 15 much more than hit on them.

Teams with market size like KC has got to nail those draft picks.
I disagree, well, maybe you shouldn't have given Gordon that contract, but replacing Hosmer won't be difficult as finding a power hitting 1b is generally the easiest position to fill in MLB. I believe your team's issues have more to do with a down seasons as much as anything. If Moustakas, Hosmer, Gordon have career avg seasons, you probably make the wildcard. The pitching was decent, (around league avg) but the bats all seemed to have down seasons at the same time, it happens.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

We will have to agree to disagree.

Hosmer is entering prime years, and will not come cheap. He is a difficult fill due to that. Those guys aren't falling around like leaves from a tree. Maybe they do where you live but not here.

KC has a lot of "if's" that need to be met each season for things to go right.

Gordon by far is the easier fill in terms of expense and production compared with Hosmer.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:52 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
We will have to agree to disagree.

Hosmer is entering prime years, and will not come cheap. He is a difficult fill due to that. Those guys aren't falling around like leaves from a tree. Maybe they do where you live but not here.

KC has a lot of "if's" that need to be met each season for things to go right.

Gordon by far is the easier fill in terms of expense and production compared with Hosmer.
he was below replacement level in 2016 and about avg with the bat, sure he will probably improve on that a tad, but there are a lot of guys out there like Brandon Moss, Adam Lind, Mitch Moreland...etc that could be had for very little $$$ and free the team up to trade Hosmer before he leaves in free agency.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Kind of done with players at the end of a career. Really don't build around those guys.

Good role players but hardly what you want every day.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:43 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Kind of done with players at the end of a career. Really don't build around those guys.

Good role players but hardly what you want every day.
Hosmer in 2016 was kinda like that too tho.

I'm not saying "build around" those guys, but if you admit that it's probably time for a rebuild f some sort, moving Hosmer for a prospect would help and one of the guys I mentioned could fill in for a year or two. Then you can either try to keep Moustakas and some of the others or move them for prospects too before they are free agents, that frees up payroll and would allow you to make some moves after 2018 and be ready to compete again 2019 and forward.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:35 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Default Putting a "Playoffs" spin back into this thread

Cub fans, win or lose, it's gonna be a really exciting and fun week. Can't wait for tomorrow!

(these pics are in no way being presumptuous about this year... just really love them)
IMG_2377.jpgIMG_2376.jpg

Will add--- after seeing the Royals up close in 2014 and 2015, I think Hosmer is a guy that's more valuable than the stats show. He plays with some serious fire (and balls), and think that is infectious in a club house. His dash home against the Mets is something that few guys have the situational wherewithal to consider, and fewer have the nuts to attempt. I'd be sad to see him leave. I love the heart/fire those Royals teams played with.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:45 PM
David L.

Did Dickey get left off of the Jays postseason roster?
Old 10-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Jeff

Dickey was left of the playoff roster. I also think the Rangers left there brains off their playoff roster from what I've seen today. Sweet!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 10-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Dickey was left of the playoff roster. I also think the Rangers left there brains off their playoff roster from what I've seen today. Sweet!
Rangers are an odd team, you rarely win 95 games while posting only a +8 run differential. Lots of comebacks and close wins matched up with several times being blown out. I have no idea what to make of them!
Old 10-06-2016, 06:15 PM
David L.

Too bad Dickey was left off. I still love watching him pitch. Today seems like it would of been the perfect day for Dickey to pitch four or five innings and save Estrada a little bit of work.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:42 PM
Paul

Blue Jays are the sleeper team in this years playoffs, have very good starting pitching, and a roster that can score runs..got knocked out by KC last season in the ALCS, They have been playing playoff baseball for about 2 weeks now, and hooked most of the best in the AL east down the stretch, needless to say I think the soft finish the Rangers had, and the layoff, had an impact on the Rangers. 1 game does not make a series, but if things do not change quickly for them , it will be over quickly...It is almost like the "wild card" teams are at an advantage because they play every day, where division winners suffer from a long layoff..One thing is certain, it will be an electric atmosphere at Rogers centre in Toronto when the Jays arrive home (by the way the beer can tosser was arrested and charged today)
Old 10-07-2016, 04:42 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Pulling for the Indians or Blue Jays this year. Just anyone but Boston or the Scrubs PLEASE!
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 10-07-2016, 07:08 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post
Pulling for the Indians or Blue Jays this year. Just anyone but Boston or the Scrubs PLEASE!

Mission accomplished for one night. We'll have to see if it continues today.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:39 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_l View Post
Too bad Dickey was left off. I still love watching him pitch. Today seems like it would of been the perfect day for Dickey to pitch four or five innings and save Estrada a little bit of work.
I am the opposite. I fret everytime Dickey pitches and I am glad he got left off the roster.
Great pitcher when he is on but unfortunately he wasn't on enough this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post

Same. Hoping Indians get by Boston and of course the Jay's by Texas. Both are looking pretty good so far but it's a long ways to go yet before the fat lady sings. Fingers crossed!
Old 10-07-2016, 07:41 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default Dodgers-Toles

Smart for Toles to get the Start for Game 1 for the Dodgers...which = WIN
Old 10-09-2016, 09:04 PM
D@le Irv*n

SWEEP!!!

What a game!
Old 10-10-2016, 08:25 AM
Paul

Jays pulled off the sweep, and I for one would love to see them play the Indians. It would be nice too see a couple of the small market teams battle it out in the ALCS. Blue Jays offence has come to life and as a Jays fan the team could not have picked a better time to get things rolling. As stated before, this clubs starting pitching staff is vastly under rated by sports media and now everyone gets a chance to see how well they have pitched this season. Jays will have a nice break before the next series kicks off, and the rest is needed after all the tough games they have played over the past few weeks down the stretch. Baseball is a great game to follow, especially when your favourite team is participating in the playoffs...Go Jays Go.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:06 PM
qu@n nguy3n

have no rooting interest in the AL, but would love to see clev/tor also. actually carlos santana was a dodgers prospect at one point so i've always kept up to see how he's doing so go clev i guess (plus tor has a reputation of questioning every strike called against them, like the clippers of the nba). i'm also tired of david ortiz, it's like every borderline all star/hof caliber guy is getting a year-long farewell tour now. (/hot takes alert)

Last edited by chaddurbin; 10-10-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:43 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Giants didn't get the split I was hoping for in Chi, but can't to see what should be another amazing matchup tonight. Doesn't get much better than Bum vs Arrietta in a possible elimination game.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:00 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I'm pulling for the Cubs to win it all...after all, can't we let that happen after 108 years?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I'm pulling for the Cubs to win it all...after all, can't we let that happen after 108 years?

It would be fun to see and they are easily the best team, but man.... I just get the feeling that they will Cubs it up and be left holding the bag another year.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I feel the same way. I think if it was any of the other 29 teams that had that type of team and season we wouldn't have that quiet lingering doubt but since it's the Cubs....

Drew
Old 10-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
It would be fun to see and they are easily the best team, but man.... I just get the feeling that they will Cubs it up and be left holding the bag another year.
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. I invested myself into the 2007 and 2008 seasons.

Cubs fans are mostly scar tissue. - George Will
Old 10-11-2016, 11:42 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Did anyone on the east coast other than myself actually stay up to watch the end of the Cubs-Giants game last night?
Old 10-11-2016, 11:50 AM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Did anyone on the east coast other than myself actually stay up to watch the end of the Cubs-Giants game last night?

Yeah, way to go Cubs. Tie it up in the 9th and lose it in the 13th.

Should have just lost it in the 9th and I could have gotten two extra hours of sleep.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:10 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

As a Giants fan, I am not sad at the outcome. Nor am I surprised anymore by how they win or lose. I guess you probably view the Cubs the same way. LOL

My better half did say when it was tied after nine, it was going to go 13 innings.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

And Clayton for two more playoff games chalks up a 6.17 ERA. And once again implodes in the 7th, although he had some help after he left. The post season continues, IMO, to be a huge black mark on his otherwise astonishing career.