NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Default Advice on giving my keefe a bath!

Posted By: peter ullman

Hey guys...I'm sure a lot of you saw this on ebay last week. I have no doubt it's authentic...albeit beaten near death. I'm debating whether to soak it or not to try to remove the cardboard it was glued to. Any suggestions...or did anyone else win one of these A&G's on ebay...what are your plans?

sorry for the poor scan...I'm trying to figure out my new mac!

pete in mn

Old 09-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Peter- you are aware that is not an actual N28, but just one previously cut from a poster. The originals have the Allen & Ginter ad on the bottom.

Edited to add either poster or album, sorry about that.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

You do know that's not the A&G N28 card - that's a cutout from the album that was produced at the same time. That's why the name A&G isn't on it.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

I do now!!!! Thanks guys...that's what I get venturing into the 19th century!

pete ullman

Old 09-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The ones cut from the album have financial value, just not near as much as the real cards. So an album cut card is not worthless. As the albums are so valuable today, all or close to all were cut from the albums in 19th century. Someone would have to be mucho stupido to remove the cards today. The album cards are blank backed, so you don't have to worry about ruining back text.

It's interesting to note that, as the albums are limited premiums, the album cut cards are rarer than the regular cards.

I've seen PSA or SGC entombed ad poster cut 1887 Buchner Gold Coin 'cards', so perhaps one or both will entomb an album card.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I will trade your mistake for any of my more expensive ones ......I have many....

Old 09-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Keep the scissors away!

Max

Old 09-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The removed cards are worth significantly less than the album, so there's little worry of people, other than Jake Lamotta, cutting apart the albums to make money. (Trying to get money for for his bail in the movie Raging Bull, Jake Lamotta takes a hammer and knocks off the gems from his championship belt. The jeweler tells him that the value is in the intact belt, not the gems he has brought in.)

Old 09-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

for what it's worth...A&G cards clean up nicely when soaked

Old 09-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

If N28 is anything like N2 (and I have no reason to suspect that they are different) my soaking experience with an N2 resulted in the two ply construction comming apart leaving me with a lovely front and a lovely back, albeit in two pieces. I sent the front to SGC (it's one of the error cards so I thought it might be worth it) only to find they will not grade a card without a back.