NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-05-2017, 03:06 PM
Kyle May

Default American History Memorabilia

I collect baseball cards and some baseball memorabilia (mainly Cleveland). Baseball is my favorite sport of all time, and a huge reason is because it's America's Pastime.

I am in the final steps of buying a house (closing on one here in the next few weeks), and it has a Man Cave. I am very Patriotic, and want to add some American History memorabilia to go with my baseball memorabilia. I also got the idea from the show Last Man Standing. Mike Baxter (Tim Allen) collects replica tanks, guns, etc. Guns I can do on my own, but the reason for this post...

Do any of you collect American History memorabilia? If so, what kind of things do you collect? I'm not looking to start a MASSIVE collection, but just a few things to add to my collection.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 02-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Steve Birmingham

I collect a bit. Pretty much the same way I collect sports stuff, I either see something I think is cool and affordable or I just get lucky with something.

I bought a bunch of old magazines of one title years ago. Political magazine, and sort of interesting. Had a few issues with the original serialization of an HG wells book. The real prize I didn't know was there. In the stack was an original campaign flyer for Teddy Roosevelts progressive party campaign.

Most people like themes, I prefer a variety of stuff.

Old skis, a detonator plunger from the 1800's - think Wile E Coyote, some early radios, Frisbees, early computers/video games. A telephone chair/table....there's a huge variety of options out there.

Overall I'd say think about what stuff you like or think is cool/important. Maybe make a bit of a list and go looking for things that fit. Leave room for those things you find that you might have never even knew existed but stumbled across and just couldn't pass up.

Steve B
Old 02-07-2017, 06:51 AM
Kyle May

Steve -

I appreciate that. Sounds like you have a very cool collection full of history and education. I love it!

I'm trying to figure out what exactly to collect from the wars/history, and how I want the collection to be built. I don't want a massive collection, as this stuff doesn't fit into 9-card binder pages - although if I collected old magazine covers or newspapers, those could fit into sleeves in binders.

Spent ammo casings, badges, War-time advertisements, etc. All are options. Heck, even a helmet or something like that would be cool.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 02-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Steve Birmingham

When you decide what you're looking for let me know. I have a bunch of old magazines with nice ads. I won't cut up complete magazines, but a batch of them have already been cut as they were from the publisher of a nostalgia magazine. Already cut ones or heavily damaged ones I have no problem taking ads from.

I have a bunch of other "stuff" as well.

Ammo casings you should check state laws. Technically here in Mass I can't have them without an FID card. Unless they're very unusual or huge they aren't much as displays anyway.

Steve B
Old 02-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Kyle May

Steve -

I appreciate that. I will absolutely be in touch with you. Right now I'm just figuring out how to collect and where to start, as I'm in the final stages of buying a house and need all of my funds going towards that. Once the house is ours, it's painted, cleaned, and we're moved in, I'll be starting the collection so I can add the militaria to my office and Man Cave.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 02-14-2017, 08:23 PM
B€nj@Min J@m€s

My Great Uncle Philip fought and served in the Navy during WWII in the Pacific aboard the USS Quail. A small minesweeper ship that saw a lot action in Manila Bay. They even managed to knock down quite a few Japanese war planes.
When Corregidor Island was invaded by the Japanese, Wainwright ordered the surrender. The Captain of the Quail was ordered to scuttle the ship so it wouldn't fall into the enemies hands. Shortly after the Captain, Philip, and 15 other members of the crew stocked a 36 ft. long diesel boat full of supplies, food, and ammo and fled the island at night. They snuck past 55 Japanese warships and endured multiple strafing attempts from dive bombers. After 30 days of island hopping and hiding in small coves they traveled 2,000 miles to Darwin, Australia.
Philip was the Captain's right hand man. He had a great set of eyes and was the watch out man. He was also an expert with maps and direction. He documented every detail of this journey.
Before their arrival to Darwin he pieced together and sewed an American flag with a pair of Kahki pants and some red and blue dye for the boat.
A couple weeks later after the safe arrival he was promoted to Quartermaster and reassigned to the USS Jarvis. Days later his ship was hit by a Japanese torpedo and sunk. All hands on board lost. Over 250 men. Philip had his American flag with him.
Philip was listed MIA and information sent back home was limited. Great Grandma wrote the Navy and Red Cross to no avail. She always thought he would show up on the doorstep one day.

I wrote a school report about him in the 5th grade and found it several years ago. Did some research and found the book "South from Corregidor" that was written by the Captain of the Quail. The book documents the journey day by day from Corregidor Island to Darwin. I became great friends with a man who republished the book and does presentations about it.
I met up with him in 2014 at the Naval Academy in DC to be apart of his presentation. Also got to meet the only remaining member of the 17 men that escaped. His name is Lyle, 93 years old.
Pretty much the only person alive that personally knew my Great Uncle and he shared many great stories that left me with goosebumps. A truly amazing man. I will never forget that day! It was an honor to represent my family. And to think 70 years later I would be the one to get all of this information.
I would of given anything for my Grandpa to read this book. It would of gave him closure.

So to the topic of this thread. I had a newspaper clipping from our local newspaper made into a nice picture. A picture of the men on their diesel boat given to me in DC. Both on display in my basement. My prized possession is the original, hard to find first published book "South from Corregidor" signed by Lyle. Several Saturday Evening Post magazines that wrote stories of the journey. Even have three comic books. Several wire photos and a newsletter that came from the Quail.
Also since I'm a Kansas boy I collect Eisenhower bust coin banks.
Sorry for the long read!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2017, 06:28 AM
Kyle May

Ben,

What an excellent read. First of all, thank you to your uncle for his service. He gave the ultimate sacrifice for this country. Second of all, that story is incredible. I can't even imagine what they went through, cove-hopping on foreign islands and then landing in Australia. It's crazy, sobering, and humbling to think about. These people were heroes. I'm glad you've been able to track down some memorabilia to honor your Great Uncle. Thank you very much for sharing!

My fiancee's grandpa fought in the Pacific in WWII. I don't remember exactly which battles he was apart of, but I do know that the Japanese radio stations referred to him as "The Knife" due to the amount of Japanese he killed with his knife. He's still alive, and lives right across the street. He doesn't talk about the war much, though. His body is shot, but his mind is as sharp as a tack.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 02-18-2017, 04:43 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

I collect obscure NJ Memorabilia. The pages on the left are saved images from the internet, the deed signed by Barker Gummere, Jr, I picked up at a flea market in Neshanic NJ from a .25 cent box. He was part of the Republican Convention and a Political King Maker as from a excerpt from Washington Post
"Daisy's (Calhoun)second husband was Barker Gummere Jr., a banker whose political influence earned him the nickname the "Kingmaker of New Jersey." The last picture is a portion of Brick Mold from the early 1900's that I dug up in the late 1960's from near by Clay Pits I had two, donated one to the Historical Museum in town
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12threpubnaticon00blumrich_0009.jpg (15.6 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 12threpubnaticon00blumrich_0094.jpg (30.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Convention 001.jpg (79.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 15780749_699453973562555_7106747379086702999_n.jpg (70.1 KB, 136 views)
Old 02-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Ronald Glenn

Last edited by rgpete; 02-18-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Ronald Glenn

One More Original Photo Post Card of the Morro Castle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg castle 001.jpg (77.8 KB, 135 views)
Old 02-20-2017, 06:06 AM
Kyle May

That is incredible!

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 05-16-2017, 08:06 AM
Richard Simon

I collect autographs primarily on documents and memorabilia of the Presidents that I think did a good job and some famous Americans who I admired.
Mark Twain, Clarence Darrow, Edward R Murrow, Teddy Roosevelt, RFK, JFK, Lincoln, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe. I also collect JFK assassination items and have Lee Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby, Marina Oswald, Clay Shaw and a few witnesses.
Much of this Presidential stuff is framed on my walls.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-16-2017, 06:27 PM
Ronald Glenn

A piece of a American Surveying History, that I acquired during the casualties of construction on one of my R.O.W. projects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Survey 001.jpg (72.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Survey 002.jpg (89.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Survey 003.jpg (94.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Survey 004.jpg (78.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Survey 005.jpg (78.4 KB, 46 views)