NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

What difference does it make. They still have know idea what there doing.

Last edited by shelly; 06-03-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default I heard from Coache's Corner

I received an email this morning alerting me that ccsa@mycomcast.com left a message on my blog.

I googled the email address and see it's the same address found on coach's corner's website, therefore I believe it's legit.

If you are interersted in seeing their reaction to our comments, please visit my web site www.sports-rings.com and click on the blog on the right.

thanks,

Mike the ring guy (sorry if this seems like self-promotion) it's not, I just was so outraged after SCD shut down the comments, I created a blog on my existing web site so we could be heard).

thanks,
Old 06-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Scott

I called Coach's corner out on their fake autographs, Beatles, etc. and got this LOVELY reply.

ok, I will, if you promise me to get a hold of the English language first!!! We ARE a "Major" house you moron..Who else does 5000+ lots per month and generates MILLIONS, thats right, MILLIONS of dollars in revenue? Yah, your not gullible, just walking around blind without a cane...You still think PSA and JSA are the best authenticators right? Your a joke!! Keep wasting time you obviously have no job

coach's corner [CCSA@mycomcast.com]

*I put email addy on bottom, because my browser wouldnt copy and paste it in the proper order. Rest assured though, its legit.

VERY professional group, wouldn't you say?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Barry Sloate

Obviously nothing is going to change.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Dan Bretta

Heh. Flaming someone for not grasping the English language and then not knowing the proper usage of "your" and "You're" is pretty funny.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:31 PM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings.com View Post
I received an email this morning alerting me that ccsa@mycomcast.com left a message on my blog.

I googled the email address and see it's the same address found on coach's corner's website, therefore I believe it's legit.

If you are interersted in seeing their reaction to our comments, please visit my web site www.sports-rings.com and click on the blog on the right.

thanks,

Mike the ring guy (sorry if this seems like self-promotion) it's not, I just was so outraged after SCD shut down the comments, I created a blog on my existing web site so we could be heard).

thanks,

Thanks!

I loved TS's post on how he "won't be visiting or taking part of this "forum" ever again."

And I loved his post the following day even more! HUH?

I suppose that some people can't be taken at their word.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings.com View Post

thanks,

thanks,

I checked your blog and did not find an e mail from CC.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

there are 2 or 3 posts from cc. they are in the last blog and threatning in tone.

thanks,
Old 06-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Dan Bretta

I seriously doubt those comments came from Coach's Corner....I also highly doubt that Bob Lemke posted that comment attributed to him as well. You'd be doing yourself a favor by having a registration process in order to post on your blog.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:13 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I seriously doubt those comments came from Coach's Corner....I also highly doubt that Bob Lemke posted that comment attributed to him as well. You'd be doing yourself a favor by having a registration process in order to post on your blog.
Dan you are correct, on the CU thread Bob stated that someone else posted those comments, not him.

Last edited by Jay Wolt; 06-06-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Dan Bretta

Well then, I think Mr Sports-Rings should take down that comment...it's not fair to Bob to leave that up.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Rich Klein

Default I'm truly impressed by that Old-timers Giants Ball

Let's see --

Everyone signed with the same pen

The player mix is interesting as Mathewson is gone by 25 and Handy Andy Cohen does not even come up to the majors till 28 IIRC. Someone had great foresight into whom to put on that baseball

Needless to say; seeing that scan was a great way to start the morning
Old 06-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default There is no justfication for profiting from fraud

Anyone working for SCD earns his livelihood from fraud, in effect as a co-conspirator. If SCD needs to accept ads from forgers to survive, it is a corrupt enterprise that needs not to survive.

As far as SCD and Collect.com not being the same company, don't insult my intelligence. Collect.com Auctions is trading on the SCD name; it therefore gets to take the heat for SCD's misconduct. They are owned by the same corporate parent, F + W Media; their profits (losses) go into the same ultimate pockets. The tag at the bottom of the Collect.com/auctions home page says "Collect.com Auctions powered by Krause Publications." The "About Us" section says in pertinent part "Collect.com is part of Krause Publications, which publishes SCD ..." Want more? Here is an excerpt from the May 29, 2009 press release issued to promote the first auction (found at http://news.prnewswire.com/ViewConte...34778&EDATE=):

"Many prominent auction companies have utilized our magazines and Websites to launch or expand their own businesses," said Dean Listle, Publisher. "Readers and fans told us there was an underserved market within the hobby. We have the expertise, reputation, and relationships to offer quality consignments. We set out to meet that need and in six short months we're holding our first auction. We are honored to be able to make the introduction of consigners to bidders, and as avid fans, are excited to see the amazing pieces available."

Krause Publications, home to Sports Collector's Digest, and Collect.com, is considered the most trusted resource for accurate pricing data and information covering a wide variety of collectibles from sports to antiques, toys, records, coins, and comics. Krause Publications is a division of F+W Media, Inc.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-07-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

SCD has lost all credibility. Integrity is something that I look for in business and people. SCD has none. They take money from a business that is obviously trying to rip-off customers. Period. I have not purchased an SCD in years and am honestly shame-faced that I ever gave them the interviews that I did. It disgusts me. The longer that people like O'Connell (whom I trusted and respected for quite awhile) stay with them knowing that there is a problem the less I respect or trust them. I applaud Rob (as usual) for his move in removing REA from SCD. I hope that others will follow suit now as well and we can just put this behind us.

Joshua

Edited to add that I do understand that TS has no choice in the matter when it comes to advertising. He is in a bad position.

Last edited by Wite3; 06-07-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling and clarification.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Todd Schultz

Default agreed

very well put, Adam.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post

The player mix is interesting as Mathewson is gone by 25 and Handy Andy Cohen does not even come up to the majors till 28 IIRC. Someone had great foresight into whom to put on that baseball
Why let a little thing like death (Matty) ruin a good time?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Rich Klein

Default And of coures Ross Youngs

Was on his way back to Texas and I don't think was ever a teammate of Handy Andy's either -- and with the Bright's disease -- his window of signing ended only a couple of years after Matty's.

I'd love to see Tom Tresh 2's take on this on You Tube. He can certainly come up with better vocabulary for this than I can
Old 06-08-2009, 04:11 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

I have heard some comments that I should take down the comments left by others. First off, I am not sure I can. I set up the blogs using google-blogs and while I can go in and modify the original blog, I can't seem to delete comments.

also, if I start deleting comments, than I am changing the history and flow of the dialogue. Kind of what they did at SCD with their blog and comments.

Mike the ring guy.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Dan Bretta

Well, if you can't delete the posts then the least you could do is comment and say you've heard from Bob L and that he is not the one that left that comment. Then you need to look into seeing if you can change your blog so people can't leave anonymous comments....they can still be anonymous, but they can't register as "Bob Lemke" without really being him...if you know what I'm saying.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Love or Hate SCD etc....

Regardless of if you love or hate SCD, or any associated company, it is very unfair to let folks post anonymously as a person they aren't. To me that invalidates some of the blog....and is one of the main reasons (if not the main reason) I like our new board s/w so much more than the old s/w.

Mike- if I were you I would consider not letting folks post anonymously under some circumstances. I am not sure how you can control it. For me, and pertaining to Net54, we had to change s/w to get it done. You might look at other blog s/w if yours won't do what you want. Also, when I say "anonymous" it could be similar to this board where you don't have to put your name out for the world to see but the moderator(s) have the info..At least that helps keep the comments real......best regards
Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Rich Klein

Default And to be fair to Mssrs Lemke; TS etc

That type of anonymous posting (especially in the Max Silberman thread) is the reason TS stopped allowing ANY comments.

Having said that

1) Having Coach's Corner in SCD is hurting their business; at least we can believe it is. It is possible for every Rob Lifson who pulled out and explained to people at F&W/Krause why; there are at least 10 people who just stop with SCD and say nothing; don't give a reason and don't worry about it. I believe I have read; that is the usual ratio of people who say something to people who don't. I believe that is even accurate for this board. My last six SCD's have been about 40 or fewer pages.

2) I believe Krause should have used a slightly different schematic for their comments in blogs. Users had to register AND in the case of the Silberman blog piece; it would have been totally allowable to say; any posts off the subject will be deleted. I believe in free speech; but I also believe in courtesy and those people who posted in that thread showed no courtesy.

3) Having worked for a similar operation to Krause in hobby pubs; etc. -- I do understand their dilemma and I guarantee you that Bob; TS; etc. have no say in the matter about whether to accept CC or other people such as them. They can say (and we don't know if they do) anything they want privately; but they sure can't say publicly if they agree with those who believe CC should be banned. That is just a corporate fact; and remember Chet Krause and his employees dont own KP anymore.

Regards
Rich

Edited to include the print run information on the SCD I received today

Last edited by Rich Klein; 06-17-2009 at 06:23 AM. Reason: New SCD came in yesterday
Old 06-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

thanks guys, I am very new to this. My site was designed a while back regarding rings. I was so outraged that O'Connell & SCD stopped allowing us to comment that I felt I had to do something.

This morning I received a really ugly & imature comment. You know the kind, about the size of my private parts and what I do with them. So, with that motivation, i figured out, yes I can delete some comments.

The only other issue I have is I have seen people pose as O'Connell before and he does claim he never wrote to me. However, if you read his comments in my first blog, the person writing to me sure has a similar writing style as O'Connell. You know what I mean, huge words that you would never use in a "normal, everyday" sentence. I truly believe it was him.

How about If he or Bob calls me and I verify that it is truly them, and they request I delete comments that they did not make, I will do that.

Is that fair?

Also, I will look into the option to set people up to post. I really appreciate your help, insights and patience as I learn about the world of blogging.

Please, try to visit the site, I really want to make sure it becomes a voice of our hobby in relation to the garbage that CC plays and how readers and others in the hobby feel about the role SCD plays.

thanks!

Mike the ring guy.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Dan Bretta

Mike, all of that sounds good. The internets (tm) are a virtual Wild West and without verification you don't know who's who. Good luck with the blog...it is needed.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Lar.ry Mur.phy

Periodicals and those who work for them should not make excuses. There is no dilemma of you want to be an honest operation. We would never be where we are now if an important decision was made years ago. If you are saying that allowing a company that you know to be "fraudulent" is a decision that "has to be made" in order to survive, that is the decision because all you are doing is misleading the readership and doing something that is harming, well, everyone. Do things correctly and perhaps fold, or purchase some time and continue to accept the fate that you are doing something improper.

People are outraged, and it's like screaming at your waiter because the food is late or yelling at a K-Mart clerk because the price of something went up, we all do it. It's an outlet. Is it fair to scream at columnists on blogs? Probably not, but it gets the point across and makes us feel better, like we are doing something...not sitting there like humps.

Also, look at how everyone involved at the publication is behaving. It's either to look the other way and ignore, get angry back or behave in a childish fashion. You would think the place is run by infants. My two cents. I personally like what the ring guy has to say on his site.

Larry
Old 06-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Larry

Mike-the-ring-guy is fine. That isn't the problem (unless you are CC or SCD)....It's the anonymous posting of comments, while impersonating someone, else that is the issue... ala "Keith Olbermann" on our old board...best regards
Old 06-13-2009, 01:26 AM
William Peebles

For those of you who don't visit the card side.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=113195
Old 06-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Sports Collectors Digest Drops Coach's Corner

I wish to Thank Tom Tresh, and his wonderful video blog for getting the message out that Coach's Corner was no good and the relationship with SCD was unacceptable.

I would like to commend and thank Sports Collector's Digest for doing the right thing and taking a stand. I realize it's easy for people like me to write and demand that you walk away from tremendous advertising revenue, and that Coach's Corner has never been convicted of anything and why should your company pass up an opportunity to accept advertising.

Without rehashing all the arguments from the last few months, I think it's great that Sports Collectors Digest took action. While a cynic might feel rejecting Coach's Corner advertising might have more to do with your new auction site and competing against them, I believe you heard our voices and listened and that some of you insiders (employees of the organization) stood up and was heard by ownership and upper management.

TS - I hope you will reconsider allowing comments on your blog again. I believe there will be much more intelligent dialogue. Two way dialogue between you and your readers would be a great thing.

Last, I just want to say my fight is not over. The owners at Coach's Corner are corrupt but not stupid. I am sure they will continue their auctions. With all the money they are saving by no longer being allowed to adverte in SCD, they can apply those funds to internet search. This means anyone who google's sports auctions or Babe Ruth autographs will find the Coach's Corner web site. I am sure their auctions will continue and I will do everything I can to alert people that their products are garbage.

Please continue to visit my site, www.sports-rings.com and click on the blog on the right and please contribute with your comments.

Hopefully SCD and TS O'Connell will join the fight too.

Thanks Everyone!

Mike the ring guy.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default I Heard From Two Organizations Today and the Results Could Not Be Different.

I emailed Dean Listle, Publisher of SCD about the NY Daily News Story and asked him if the story was accurate. Dean was kind enough to call me to disucss this matter. It turns out that the folks at SCD can not comment on the story at this point but Dean did confirm the story in the Daily News Blog is accurate. Like a maritial divorce, the seperation of SCD and Coach's Corner will take some time (a few weeks) but I firmly believe it will happen.

Dean, thanks for your time today, I'm sure I speak for many when I say it will be great to have SCD helping us sports collectors. I believe more will come out in a few weeks, we just have to be a little patient.

Next, I received an email from our friends at Coach's Corner. They wrote: "We will get our revenge on anyone who keeps this bullshit up"

As you can see, they continue to threaten and harass me. Please write to them at ccsa@comcast.com and tell them to stop threatening us and to stop polluting our industry with their garbage.

Friends, we can win, we can do it!

Mike The Ring Guy.

Please visit and contribute to my blog on this matter: www.sports-rings.com

thanks!