NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-14-2004, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Default if given a choice would you rather have

Posted By: dennis

THE t206 wagner (one gretzy paid $451K) or a complete t206 set in the vg-ex condition range? i'd go for the set,just wondering how others feel.don't let resale be a factor.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

I'd rather have the Wagner in a heartbeat. Simple logic - while some cards (Plank, Magie, etc.) would still be extrodinarily difficult and expensive to obtain, I could reasonably build up a t206 set in that condition over time, but the chances of me snagging a Wagner (espeically THAT Wagner) is so unlikely that I'd rather have that. Basically, the answer is OF COURSE i'll trade the entire remaining t206 set for the most coveted card in the industry, especially when you make it that particular Wagner - no question, no doubts, no regrets...

Old 11-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

If you're asking would I rather give up the entire set in the vg-ex range INCLUDING a vg-ex Wagner in exchange for that particular Wagner, I'd have to give it more thought. I almost definitely still would, but I'd have to think about it a good bit.

I'll tell you what, when I'm in that position and have that option, ask me again!

Old 11-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J Duet MD

Gretzky's Wagner

Old 11-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

I'd take the second. I wouldn't want to own the PSA8 Honus Wagner even if I could afford it, but having the complete set would be cool.

A third option I would pick would be if a board member owned the set, and I could stop by and look at it.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Gretzky. Don't like trimmed cards.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

I'll take the Wagner, sell it, and then buy lots of Vintage cards sets, including Leon's type card set. It's nice to dream..........

Be well Brian

Old 11-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

I'd take it in a heartbeat over the Gretzky Wagner. I'm already working on a PSA 4 run of T206 HOFers (only need 7 more, inc Wagner and Plank), and for some reason, the PSA 4's just look more real to me than PSA 8's.

Steve

Old 11-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

As a collector, I say this with pride and nothing more than that.
I have the set minus the second hardest card in it.
Anyone that has seen the set will tell you that the overall grade is very very nice.
I'm very proud of the grade.
The concentration on the symbol of the set and the hobby is the Wagner, and that is how it should be.
What is forgotten sometimes by some, is the fact that the Wagner is the second hardest card in the set.
The toughest being the Doyle error. ... hands down.
You can have 45 Wagner's, but if you don't have the Doyle error, you don't have a complete T206 set.
Even if I didn't have Slow Joe Doyle, my choice would be for the set over the Wagner ..... hey, what do you want from me, I'm a collector.

Old 11-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

any day. Call me sentimental, because THE Wagner is a better investment by far...

Old 11-15-2004, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Set.

Old 11-15-2004, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

it's small and easy to hide

Old 11-15-2004, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Obviously resale could not be the consideration because one could sell the PSA 8 Wagner, buy a vg-ex set and still have a million bucks left over. Assuming the set would also come with a vg-ex Wagner (like the one Sportscardsplus is selling in their Decemeber auction), I would choose that set in a second.
JimB