NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2018, 02:23 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default OT: Need Baseball HOF Contact For Artifact Donations

Everything I can find on the web has to do with monetary donations. The only page I found regarding artifact donations is basically blank, seeming defunct page. Does anyone know who I would need to contact to discuss the possibility of making an artifact donation? If they don't want it that's fine but I don't even know where to start to see if they would want it.

Also I would not donate it if it were not to be on display. That would be my only reason for donating the items.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:14 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

I would contact Tom Shieber, but that said, they are fairly discerning with the donations they accept. Since they have to catalog, house, and possibly treat artifacts, there is a cost for them accepting pieces. Also, less than 10% of their collection is on display at any given point. My guess would be that they would either only accept or reject a donation. I doubt they would guarantee display time, but it never hurts to ask. Good luck.

Chris

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 06-18-2018, 03:57 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Unless it's something earth-shattering, I wouldn't donate it to the HOF. Better to have it donated to a smaller museum or historical society where it will be featured and displayed than a big place where it won't. Our own Dave Eskenazi has Seattle PCL items displayed at the Seattle Mariners' Safeco Field that thousands a year, including me, see.

No museum will guarantee display time or what they will do with it in the future, unless you're donating the Mona Lisa. Though many museums these days catalog their items for online search, so have quasi-libraries. Meaning, that even when an item is not on display it can be searched and used for research.

It can cause major problems for museums when they have eternal unbreakable rules set by the founders or donators, rules that are short-sighted or binding a century later.

Last edited by drcy; 06-18-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:49 PM
Joe
Joe Lind.way

I can not personally speak about the baseball HoF. But I can speak of my experiences donating to the Hockey HoF located up in Toronto.

I received the "royal tour" of the archives when I donated there. The archives are about 15 minutes west of downtown inside the complex where the Leafs practice, nowhere near the actual HoF. I was able to ask to see and able to hold anything I asked to see that was not currently on display. It was an incredible experience which I will not hesitate to experience again. And to see firsthand how they archive their artifacts is unreal. And I can image the baseball HoF guys would be the same way. It was fascinating! They freeze any items that come back into the archives from display or any new donations. They will thaw the items out and then freeze everything a second time over a 5-6 day period. This practice kills any mites or material-destroying cells that may be hiding inside a jersey or whatever. This assures the items having safe and the highest preservation storage possible. The film and negative rooms are chilly. There are dozens upon dozens of filing cabinets with everything imaginable.

The option of donating to a small museum has the best intentions, no doubt! My only concern with small museums are their guarantee of remaining open. We can all name quite a few local smaller museums which have closed over time. If collectors consigned to a private museum and it goes under, is there really a 100% guarantee of getting whatever back? Or will everything end up absorbed in a bankrupcy issue and end up in the hands of a bank from another state?

Last edited by NYHighlanderFan; 06-20-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: I am happy to say I am mistaken. The Bob Feller Museum is still opened!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:49 PM

Hi Tom-

I was successful in donating original artwork my late father did of the Hall of Fame (he did a fantastic pen & ink sketch of the front facade of the Hall in 1994), I had it professionally framed & matted 3 years ago after he passed away and submitted it for donation. There’s a donation committee that meets every few months to review all donations. They voted unanimously to accept his art work. I received a wonderful letter, certificate and a lifetime pass. The people I dealt with were awesome.

PM me your email address and I’ll look up all the info and share it with you Tmw.

Best-
Michael

Last edited by MVSNYC; 06-18-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Hi Tom-

I was successful in donating original artwork my late father did of the Hall of Fame (he did a fantastic pen & ink sketch of the front facade of the Hall in 1994), I had it professionally framed & matted 3 years ago after he passed away and submitted it for donation. There’s a donation committee that meets every few months to review all donations. They voted unanimously to accept his art work. I received a wonderful letter, certificate and a lifetime pass. The people I dealt with were awesome.

PM me your email address and I’ll look up all the info and share it with you Tmw.

Best-
Michael
WOW!! that is awesome!!!!!!!!!