NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-23-2022, 11:17 AM
J@mes In.gram

Default Seller Demeanor 2022

I was going to post this in another thread about annoying things, but I can't find it now. And it doesn't belong in newbie collectors either.

This is probably the single-most irritating and downright obnoxious and egocentric sellerism:

"Listening to offers"

Utter BS! If you really want to sell, put a fricking price on it! How hard is it to do that? Otherwise, you are just hoping some ignorant schmuck with more money than sense comes along to make you rich. It ought to be called entrapment, and illegal!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 04-23-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
I was going to post this in another thread about annoying things, but I can't find it now. And it doesn't belong in newbie collectors either.

This is probably the single-most irritating and downright obnoxious and egocentric sellerism:

"Listening to offers"

Utter BS! If you really want to sell, put a fricking price on it! How hard is it to do that? Otherwise, you are just hoping some ignorant schmuck with more money than sense comes along to make you rich. It ought to be called entrapment, and illegal!

To be fair, I think there are cards with such low population or infrequent sales history that it may be difficult to price a certain card. I think everyone has a number they’d be entertain and be willing to depart with, but I can see both sides of this arguement.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 04-23-2022, 01:40 PM
P@trick R.omolo

I think this is the thread you're looking for James.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ighlight=Terms
Old 04-23-2022, 01:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

It doesn't bother me. I prefer it actually to people asking prices on the moon. The worst that can happen is someone says no to your offer.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-23-2022 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 01:51 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I think this is the thread you're looking for James.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ighlight=Terms
Yes! That's it. Probably me, I just couldn't find it searching.

Maybe time to dredge it up again.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 04-23-2022, 03:39 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Hi

It does not bother me either way and sorry you feel that way.

There are several factors depending if you are a collector or an investor.

As a collector I rarely sell anything (prefer to trade) but if I am thinking about changing my collection focus o might consider a sale. But I am the type to cling to my collection(very possessive) so I need to get a number that is very strong to over come it so I would take offers and see what comes up.

Another factor which was mentioned earlier is that many cards are low population or rare cards that do not sell often so tough to just put a price on it. By taking offers I see what people are willing to give for it so it helps set the market price for me. And if it is good then I accept if not I move on.

As long as the seller is not take the offer “personal”. They should not get offended by what someone offers since no price was put on it but accepting “offers”

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-23-2022, 04:16 PM
Johnny MaZilli

It doesn’t bother me.

It’s a shame people on Facebook in some groups get there post deleted for saying fielding offers. They get called out as Fishing.
Old 04-23-2022, 05:01 PM
E. Angyal

Default The seller can do whatever they want within reason

Its their card, afterall. I do it and I dont blame others for doing it. I cant tell you how many times the “ offers” you get are from someone quoting an irrelevant “comp” from 3 years ago while selectively ignoring recent sales of similar cards because a set has heated up due to recent market conditions. Also, when the seller rejects (or ignores) an obvious lowball offer there is often times a great sense of entitlement from the would be purchaser followed name calling or other nonsense from them. Afterall, everyone wants a bargain. Bottom line is not all asking prices are obvious to even the most experienced of sellers due to everchanging market condtions. Thats why people are “considering offers”. Heres an idea - make a reasonable, well thought, considerate offer.

Angyale
Old 04-23-2022, 05:16 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Obviously, the owner of a card can do whatever they want with it, but I've often wondered: if a post merely says that one is "listening to offers", is the card actually for sale? It seems to me that such a post indicates only that it might be for sale.

Maybe I'm way off here, but I've had this thought more than once upon seeing one of those posts.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-23-2022, 05:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

It doesn't bother me. It also rarely makes me more interested in a card.

If I was selling, as some have said, I have a few items that just don't sell often enough to have any idea what the "right" price is.
And a few of my best cards are ones I get occasional interest in. I haven't given much serious thought to selling them, as they'd be almost impossible to replace. (for me anyway)
One I finally looked up, and the nearest comparables were a few years ago and didn't indicate much premium for that exact card over one with a common back. Is there a price I'd let it go for? Probably. Is that price also wildly optimistic? Yes. But then I don't have much interest in selling.

The stuff I just want gone I can easily price and do. And from the reactions those "just buy this stuff" prices are also wildly optimistic....
Old 04-23-2022, 05:52 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I see no issue with it, some cards are extremely hard to price because there are not any recent sales. Some cards I have had 0 public sales. In these cases it makes sense for seller and one of the small number of potential buyers in that narrow niche to connect and hash out a price together.

It is obviously not entrapment to do this, even if one hates it. That simply is not what that word means.
Old 04-23-2022, 05:57 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

I don’t have an issue with it but if it’s a relatively common card it’s just a little weird.

The thing I find interesting is I’m not on Facebook but a good friend watches cards for me on there. There’s a deal or no deal auction concept which is popular. Basically a live auction and at the end the seller can decide if he wants to sell or not. Seems odd at first but seems to work.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:02 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post

"Listening to offers"

Ironically, when I put: "I am not interested in any offers or early auction ending unless I put in a Best Offer option. Please do not PM me asking for my "best price" or asking for an early end to the auction", that is when I get offers. Which is why I also write: "stupid messages are ignored, and nasty messages are ignored here and then mercilessly mocked on hobby chat boards."

One further new piece of annoyance (thanks eBay for giving sellers new harassment tools) is being bombarded with "seller offered a 4% discount" PMs on every overpriced item I happen to watch. Got three of them today offering 4%, 4% and 6% discounts. Gee, thanks. 4% off; maybe I will use the savings to eat out tonight. At McDonalds. Alone. Off the dollar menu.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-23-2022 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:39 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

One further new piece of annoyance (thanks eBay for giving sellers new harassment tools) is being bombarded with "seller offered a 4% discount" PMs on every overpriced item I happen to watch. Got three of them today offering 4%, 4% and 6% discounts. Gee, thanks. 4% off; maybe I will use the savings to eat out tonight. At McDonalds. Alone. Off the dollar menu.
This is how I do all my meals. I can

1) Go to a nice restaurant with a nice girl and spend a couple hundred dollars or

2) Eat off the McDonalds value menu or from the dumpster outside McDinalds alone, and spend the savings on cardboard pictures of athletic dead guys.

Easy choice
Old 04-24-2022, 09:54 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
This is how I do all my meals. I can

1) Go to a nice restaurant with a nice girl and spend a couple hundred dollars or

2) Eat off the McDonalds value menu or from the dumpster outside McDinalds alone, and spend the savings on cardboard pictures of athletic dead guys.

Easy choice
Well, don't keep us in suspense...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...