NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-21-2014, 04:46 PM

Default Blurring Corners E-bay

Long time lurker, short time member. Just getting interested in the hobby again because my 11yo son has become interested in football cards. So, I broke out my old PC and began buying some cards recently from Ebay.

Not had any issues with ones that I have purchased so far, but I have came across a lot of cards that looks like the seller has either a) edited the scan by saturation to make the colors look more rich or b) blurred the corners. Also, although it may just be me, but I seem to notice it more on the "top sellers". Is this just my imagination, or is this a common practice. Attached a photo of a scan from ebay for a current auction that no one could convince me that this the corners of this card has not been blurred by the seller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EddieMcorners.jpg (76.4 KB, 245 views)
Old 11-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Larry More.y

Welcome to the forum...
The Mathews card appears to be a digital photo (versus a scan)....the photographer appears to have focused his camera on the center of the card from a close distance. For me, I have taken pictures(of groups of cards, not singles) from farther back and cropped them down in size to avoid the blurriness on the edges....best way to avoid this scenario altogether is to use a scanner. Hard to believe a TRS would take the added time to use a digital camera vs a scanner.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:05 PM
Steve

I dunno - it appears that only the top two corners of this particular card look blurred, not all of the edges. Maybe another digital photo versus scanner expert would care to weigh in on this subject, which, strangely, makes me yearn for the good old days of picking up a card from a dealers table at a show to examine it before plunking down big bucks for it.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:59 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I kind of agree with spokes; it's possibly from a cell-phone camera and the blurriness is actually shake from a hand. That said, eBay allows you to contact sellers, so take advantage and ask for a clearer shot of the top of the cards you're interested in.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:35 AM
Al Richter

Default Welcome

Is your son collecting current football cards or older ones, or both ? Sets or players ?
Old 11-22-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Is your son collecting current football cards or older ones, or both ? Sets or players ?
He is collecting newer current cards. He likes opening packs. So we have been opening up retail packs and blisters. Currently working on building a set of 2014 Panini Rookies and Stars and I have started on a set of 1955 Topps All American as well as working on Milwaukee Braves 1955/1956 Topps team sets.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:45 AM
FredYoung

To me, that scan/pic shows the corners quite well! Doesn't looked blurred to me.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Blurred

Sure looks blurred to me. I agree with the cell phone theory.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:44 PM

Well I won the auction for the card that was posted in original post. Enough people convinced me that it could be camera shake and not intentional; pair that we the fact that someone mentioned that they didn't believe that a TRS would intentionally blur corners gave me enough confidence to bid on it. I was able to get it for what looked like the average going rate for this card in comparable condition we'll see when it gets here.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:41 AM

I'll be the odd man out here. it kind of looks like a scanned image to me. If the card has a natural bow to it, like most cards, and the lid of the scanner was not lowered onto the card to flatten it out, especially if the card was scanned raw, then this is exactly what would happen. The center of the card would be sharp and the top and bottom of the card, as it curves up and away from the scanner bed, might be blurry. I've scanned my share of cards in my time and trying to lower the scanner lid down on a raw, bowed card, and keeping the card straight, is not easy. Leaving the lid up you eliminate that problem. It also speeds up scanning when you are doing large quantities of cards.
My website for 1963 Topps football color variations -
Old 11-24-2014, 11:32 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballdude View Post
I'll be the odd man out here. it kind of looks like a scanned image to me. If the card has a natural bow to it, like most cards, and the lid of the scanner was not lowered onto the card to flatten it out, especially if the card was scanned raw, then this is exactly what would happen. The center of the card would be sharp and the top and bottom of the card, as it curves up and away from the scanner bed, might be blurry. I've scanned my share of cards in my time and trying to lower the scanner lid down on a raw, bowed card, and keeping the card straight, is not easy. Leaving the lid up you eliminate that problem. It also speeds up scanning when you are doing large quantities of cards.
That was actually my first thought also....but, I just could not understand why someone would not put the lid down to "flatten" out the card and avoid the lack of focus. If it was a scanner that was used, the seller still had a "colored" background behind it, whatever was used for this colored background could also cause a bowed card to slide around just as the scanner's lid could cause the card to slide around(my experience at least). That was my reasoning for ruling the use of a scanner out
Old 11-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Steve Birmingham

Could be a scanner thing depending on the sensor type. My scanner will keep stuff in focus out to about a half inch from the surface, and way farther under some conditions. I could probably take a picture with it if I held it on its side.

The ones with the other sensor won't even focus well on graded cards.

The same focus stuff is found in cellphone pics, so it could be either.

Steve B
Old 11-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
That said, eBay allows you to contact sellers, so take advantage and ask for a clearer shot of the top of the cards you're interested in.
I echo this post enthusiastically. I've seen several cards where something was slightly cut from the picture, or just a little hard to see because of the perspective used. And every time I've contacted the seller, I've gotten them to post a better picture. Now, you do run a slight risk there. The possibility exits that somebody else will buy the card. So far, that's not happened, but I'm sure at one point it will. But I've found the sellers I've interacted with on eBay are very willing to help you out. It's good business, because a happy customer is a return customer.

cprice72, I'd shoot them a message for sure. And by the way, good luck with the Braves team sets, especially since I'm going to be working on the '57 set, and we won't be competing for the same cards I think it's great your son collects, too.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.