NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-17-2017, 01:35 PM

That's part of the Yankees that you can't get away from.

On the flip side, I don't hear anyone saying much about Mookie Betts. He came in 2nd in MVP voting last year but this year his average is almost 50 points lower and his OPS is 100 points lower.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
That's part of the Yankees that you can't get away from.

On the flip side, I don't hear anyone saying much about Mookie Betts. He came in 2nd in MVP voting last year but this year his average is almost 50 points lower and his OPS is 100 points lower.
He projects to about 25 HR 100 RBI so not a terrible year production wise but yeah he is well below where he was a year ago. Still young, and nothing IMO glaringly wrong, so time will tell.

PS Judge just whiffed in his first two at bats, extending his new record.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-17-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:51 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
He projects to about 25 HR 100 RBI so not a terrible year production wise but yeah he is well below where he was a year ago. Still young, and nothing IMO glaringly wrong, so time will tell.

PS Judge just whiffed in his first two at bats, extending his new record.
Wow. Has there been any talk about sending him down to stop the bleeding?

I can't imagine he wants to add any further to it, but maybe he's determined and doesn't really sive a ghit?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Wow. Has there been any talk about sending him down to stop the bleeding?

I can't imagine he wants to add any further to it, but maybe he's determined and doesn't really sive a ghit?
Three whiffs tonight so far, it's painful really to watch.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:49 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Three whiffs tonight so far, it's painful really to watch.
Is that 34 or 35 now? Not sure why they don't remove him from that by sending him down but there is likely more to it than that?

I can't see this new record and his current slump, let alone all the attention he is getting, doing anything for his confidence and self esteem.

Maybe he has said no to any suggestion of such and wants to work through it himself? Who knows?
It would make for a great story if he is able to turn things around and find his form like he had at the start of the season.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:00 AM

You're worried about his confidence so you want to send down a guy who will win ROY and leads your team in all offensive categories, not to mention leads the entire AL in runs, home runs, slugging and OPS? And do it while battling for a play off spot?

Last edited by packs; 08-18-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
You're worried about his confidence so you want to send down a guy who will win ROY and leads your team in all offensive categories, not to mention leads the entire AL in runs, home runs, slugging and OPS? And do it while battling for a play off spot?
I think at this point you just let it ride and hope he picks it up at least a little bit. But if he continues for the rest of the season to strike out in nearly half his at bats (which he did last year in his brief debut BTW), I think you need to reassess. At this point the book seems to be out whether he is a real star just going through a prolonged slump, or whether his first half was just an aberration. Fascinating story really, made more so by the fact that he is so physically imposing and at the same time seemingly a wonderful guy.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-18-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:32 AM
qu@n nguy3n

peter--as a sox fan you're way too invested in a yankees player. go start a thread about bogaerts' annual 2nd half slump or devers' impact on this red sox season.

just going on track record and scouting reports i'd take the next 10 years of devers over judge (caveat devers doesn't start eating like pablo sandoval).
Old 08-18-2017, 11:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
peter--as a sox fan you're way too invested in a yankees player. go start a thread about bogaerts' annual 2nd half slump or devers' impact on this red sox season.

just going on track record and scouting reports i'd take the next 10 years of devers over judge (caveat devers doesn't start eating like pablo sandoval).
Quan, yeah Devers looks promising but who knows. I still have hopes for Benintendi I think he is solid and has a big upside.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:00 PM

I'm actually hoping to capitalize on the post-Benintendi hype and pick up some of his cards for cheap over the winter. I think he's going to be really good even though he didn't quite live up to the hype this year.