NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Default How do you guys/gals keep your mojo gong

Posted By: Chad

I've kind've run into a wall with my collection in that fewer and fewer items that I can afford come up for sale to fill out my collection needs as I finish off the easier pieces. I admit it kind of drags down my interest not to be buying stuff. Does anyone else run into this? If I didn't live in a practically closetless NYC apartment, I'd try to put together some mid-1970's sets or something, but my girl would kill me if I tried. I've thought about buying stuff and then flipping it, but that seems like a lot of work. I guess I'm just looking forward to the National. Maybe just being able to SEE a bunch of stuff will get the juices flowing.

--Chad

Old 07-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

chad-

from one NYC resident to another...just streamline the collection. i used to have hundreds of T206's, tickets, sets, etc...now i just have a few dozen cards, and still love it...i focus on rarity & high grade. quality vs. quantity...

hope this helps alittle.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Administrator

How are you not a valuable poster?

I've actually gone in that direction, which is why I'm buying so little now. It's the lulls in between purchases that bring me down. Not down, but a feeling of dis-invlolvement. Is that a word? I'm just whining out loud and making you all suffer through it.

--Chad

Old 07-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I agree, flipping seems too much like work.
I've gotten involved with non-sports to take care of the valleys.
They are cheap, and you would be surprised at how much fun you can find in a twenty dollar bill worth of those, once you decide what interests you.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

If you want involvement, try that flipping thing.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Chad -

Redirect your passion within the hobby to something you might enjoy (ie research, publishing, etc,...)

Alan

Old 07-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

What cards do you guys find "flip" the best?

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

MVSNYC = MVP (Most Valuable Poster)

Old 07-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Hey Gil! Still picking up the occasional NELer? How's the notable event collection going? I actually occasionally look for vintage cards with dinosaurs on them. I AM a hopeless nerd!

Trying to flip in order to build up to one of my dream cards is actually very intriguing. I worry that I'm not smart enough to pull it off, though. I also worry I'll be accused of being a heartless non-collector, but mostly I worry about not being smart enough to do it well. I really admire some of you on the board that have done it, though.

--Chad

(edited to add: That's also a good suggestion, Alan. I've talked about doing something with Negro League cards with another board member. It may be time to get going on that. I knew you guys would be good for a kick start.)

Old 07-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

you guys are far too kind...

maybe jim will come to his senses and add me to his all star line-up...

chad- at the risk of being slammed by ole' joe p...i'll admit that i've flipped tens of thousands of dollars worth of cards, it's not rocket science...i became friendly with many T206 PSA set reg guys, i've bought, sold & traded with them for years now...it helps if you can get the cards they need for a deal...then trade or sell to them, whola!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Would you guys try to remember that flip is a four-letter word and try to use it sparingly, if at all? I can just sense another 1,000-word, poorly punctuated, crudely constructed, poisonly penned diatribe in the works.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

What got me out of my rut was the sale of about 30 rare common 1958 Topps yellow letter variaton cards in PSA 8 last fall. The windfall was extreme; I picked up my 1914 racker Jack Joe Jackson as well as Cobbs E101 and E102 with my winnings. My advice? Get rid of the stuff that does not move you and buy more expensive stuff that does.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I went and bought all the expensive cards first. I have one card left to buy that will cost me $1k or more. That will be the last card I buy for a long time. After that, when I can start buying cards again, my goal is all downhill except for a few rarities that I need. Figuring out how to stay interested without being able to buy cards for a few years will be the big problem.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

and I'm not much liking it myself. I was actually thinking the other night that I'm really looking forward to the journey ending, roughly 17 cards to go by my latest estimation. Some cards I've waited years for, either because they don't turn up, I get outbid, or the condition and price confluence haven't met up. I've been buying a card roughly every 3 months the last year, and its certainly taken alot of the zing out of my passion for collecting. This forum has helped, just reading and growing what I know, and I've also been working on a few pin/button sets that have allowed me to make regular purchases.

But I'm pretty much burnt out. I was actually having chest pain following a recent E254 auction, wanting the card so badly so that I could inch another card closer to finishing.........not wanting that card, that issue, just wanting to be nearer the end. Ah well, the first 7 years were fun .

Daniel

Old 07-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

When you reach the end, UPGRADE.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I agree, upgrade. Also try a different era. I was strictly a 1909-1914 man but branched out and completed, card by card, the 1933 Tattoo Orbit and DeLong sets. Nice challenge and I really ended up liking the cards. I also have moved in to 19th Century stuff, plenty of Old Judges around.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

Hi Chad

You could try for the sports and other non-sports cards in the Cuban Aguilitas and Nacionales series. I know that the Aguilitas have soccer, football, jai alai, swimming and actresses. I also know that Nacionales has boxers. I am sure Ryan Christoff could tell you more about the series.

I have a few Aguilitas segunda soccer cards and actresses. I sold my one football card for a nice price to Ryan no less!

Jeff

Old 07-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean BH

Like a few here I have sold off a bulk of my collection to purchase just a few key cards I want. It's easier to store and more interesting to show my Red Cross SGC 40 Chase card to friends other than the T206 SGC 20 Moran (nothing against him).

Between the larger purchases I try to FLIP cards to keep the juices flowing and to help fund the next big thing.

Sean BH

Old 07-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed McCollum

I started a set almost 20 years ago, thinking before I died, I'd have a chance to complete it. Then reality set in, and it became depressing to realize as I looked at eBay day after day that at only 36% complete, I'd never be able to complete the set, minus the big three (and I really wanted one of those, too). About a month ago, I came up with the solution of collecting only one small part of the set, which I don't even know how many exist. I started to sell all my beaters, with the exception of one of each back, which freed up the funds to buy almost 14 cards in the past month (more than I had bought each year since 1998 combined) that fit my new criteria. The sale of my stuff is going pretty well (so far, one disgruntled buyer who sends e-mail after e-mail, but won't return any of mine, and won't pick up his phone either, so my 100% rating may be going down very soon even though I have offered him a full refund) but it has offered me a chance to look at every card that comes up on eBay, looking to see if it fits my new set guidelines, and lets me look at all cards in a new way. Find your niche, and be happy with the fit.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I just change direction once in a while. There are certain things in my collection I'll always own (I think), but sometimes I streamline, or I dump something altogether and move down a different path. I'm in one of those phases right now. I never lose interest in collecting, although sometimes I lose interest in WHAT I'm collecting.

-Al

Old 07-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T Daley

Narrow your collection to 25 cards. Each time you purchase something new, sell one of the 25 cards. It will keep your collection fresh, you will always carefully consider your next purchase, and as your collection grows, you will acquire some more interesting stuff. Maybe it isn't 25, it's 50 cards, but the idea is the same.

Then add to it some items that you can hang on your wall, and you will always be excited about your collection.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Especially the erotic bathing beauties! Grrrr!

Seriously, you guys have a lot of great ideas. I appreciate all the suggestions. I think I maybe I need to build a website to show off my cards and, more importantly, provide information about some of the players I collect. Guys like Marvin Williams or Bus Clarkson or Robert Wilson who were great players but have been forgotten because of their bad luck to be in their prime when baseball integrated. The Negro Leagues ceased being a major league but they were too old to be considered prospects by MLB clubs so many of them wandered through a baseball desert. That should be a lot of work and keep me busy while I wait for a Pat Scantlebury or Bernardo Baro card to pop up. Staying involved here should help, too. When the arguing dies down, this really is a great place to talk shop.

Thanks guys,

--Chad

Old 07-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

I couldn't agree with you more. Sometimes the boredom sets in because you are no longer fascinated with the cards you collected, then it's time to change the focus of your collection.

When I found out that '50s and '60s stuff was readily available, I started selling the stuff to fund prewar purchases. It's going well so far.

Peter C.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It seems like I can always find something I have never seen before, as a type collector. I knew it was my calling when I heard about the variety. And since I am close to completion I have opened it up to collecting the master set of D303's (hint hint).....Full steam ahead on finding something I have never seen before too.(it happens fairly often)..or the next Mothers card...the hobby is a lot of fun if you let it be........regards

Old 07-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Crandell

Have a dedicated goal that drives you and focuses you.

With me its 100 complete vintage or semi-vintage sets every card PSA 8 or better.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I've got to say I admire Jim for sticking to his goal for so long.

I have tried many times to set a goal, and focus, but rarely do I stick with it. For a while I was trying to build one set from each year the Yankees won the World Series - I got 8 or 9 sets in, with only 5 or 6 complete, but I got frustrated and bored and changed direction.

Now, I pretty much resign myself to the fact that this is just a hobby for me, and if I get bored it's okay to change direction. So long as whatever I'm doing at the time is making me happy, I'll keep doing it. If I stop enjoying it, I change gears.

I'm in the middle of changing gears right now, moving in the direction of what Tom is talking about - I'll still build smaller sets and stuff, but the core of my collection is going to focus on 50 key cards that I want to own. I'll keep replacing those 50 cards, upgrading them, swapping them out, until I have 50 cards that I can't possibly part with. Then we'll see what I do next.

-Al

Old 07-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Yes Chad,
Im still chasing them down. It wasn't good to hear that you are also after Scantlebury, but did I understand that you already have your Clarkson?
On the rest of the collection, I just knocked off a milestone with help from Barry Sloate, and earlier help from Zach Rice and Mike. That is the group of guys who hit 4HRs in a game. The last three were two Mayos and a Gehrig. The Delahanty Mayo was a surprise: sort of a complete card at a price which was quire low (actually it was low for a Delahanty), And the Gehrig wasn't in too bad a shape, and Barry's last Mayo was a 1.

But I know what you mean. Price slows things down until you get budget, then they disappear, until you break down and buy lesser cards. Then when they reappear, you are broke again. Or maybe thats not what you mean, maybe its my problem.

But I don't flip because I will work at something else if I have to generate extra cash. I do not want work mixed in with this hobby for me. And it does not bother me at all that others do it - I appreciate each person being a potential resource for me. It is great!

So where is the w517 mini Judge which I need?

Gil

Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator

How far along are you in that goal? Can't imagine the patience you need with that one!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Crandell

Bill,

I have 62 vintage or semi-vintage sets complete in psa 8 or better(every card). I have 32 sets that are within 7 cards of being complete. Its been a goal of mine to get to 100 sets for the last few years and I have remained very focused on it while at the same time trying not to overpay. The problem is that many of the cards either do not exist in psa 8 or better or they are very low pop cards so it makes completing them very challenging.

Jim

Old 07-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Administrator

What do you classify as semi-vintage? Also, do you know what the other sets are going to be yet that you will attempt or are you not sure yet? Must be a pretty nice room to walk into!

Old 07-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

That is very impressive, Jim. What prewar sets are you working on and what prewar sets have you completed?

Old 07-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Not meant as a dig or slam: that is literally a heck of a lot of thick plastic. I find it challenging storing raw cards not to mention the slabbed cards I have. How do you store all of it?

Old 07-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Wesley,

I have complete 33 Goudey Sport Kings(48 psa 8s) and 36 S&S(8s and 9s). Close to completion on 41 Play Ball and 34-6 Diamond Stars. Various stages of completion on 33 and 34 Goudey and 39 and 40 Play Ball. Have about 140 T206s in psa 8, 75 M116s in 8, a few fb Chicles and a handful of Cracker Jacks, Delong, Old Judge, T201, Allan $ Ginter and others. Most of my completed sets are obviously 50s-60s vintage.

Boxingcardman,

I have about 24,000 graded cards. Around the outside of a huge display room I have about 2500 cards on the wall. I have perhaps 25 large tables that I have stacks of cards by set by number and then perhaps 300 or so non-graded sets in binders.

Periodically I have open card parties at my house where my collection is on display.

Also the Sportscard Collector Monthly(PSAs monthly) did a profile on me and my collection in which there are several pictures of "the room".

Old 07-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I guess you are addicted too.......there is help.. ..

Old 07-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

I really mean that.

Always remember you as one of the guys eyeballing the same thing that I am eyeballing in an eBay, or a Ryan Cuban auction.
You have good taste.

In reading your last post, my gut feeling tells me that you might have nailed the solution to fight the Funk.

I'm going from the top of my head, if I recall correctly, you mention something about creating a website, and entering information about ball players from the integration period that never got any kind of recognition.

I think that's a great idea.
Build that bridge.
If it's just one person that goes across that bridge to meet the unheralded players, that's one person more to give them their due.
I wish you luck.
That's one hell of a chalenge amigo.
Go for it!

Joe P.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Don't they get dusty? Doesn't your wife have a cow about the way it looks?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Administrator

"Thats it--stacks on tables"--no--as I said a few hundred binders and 2,500 cards on the wall--I have been told by most collectors/dealers/graders who have seen it that it is or is among the most impressive displays they have ever seen.

Why would you bring up my wife?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

Money is probably the biggest factor in collecting prewar. So, an unfocused collector, like myself, can get himself in real financial trouble. I collect primarily t206s...but, ive got itchy fingers. So, i go after other sets. A lot of them i collect a few commons or one or two HOFers...and then realize that i dont have the money to pursue the rest...and sell it off. Ive gone through T3's, d304s (which are incredibly expensive and hard to come by) a few caramel sets and the 33 goudeys. Right now im on the 1915 CJs and have thought about the e96s. But, this type of collecting is a double edge sword. The other side to the coin is that it keeps the hobby fresh. Trudging through "the monster" is fun, but can be frustrating because it is so BIG. Collecting another set...learning about it....then trading or selling it off...keeps the juices flowing and increasing my knowledge about the hobby.

I concur with a lot of the statements above. Keep refocusing and try to narrow the cards you collect to the ones you truly find appealing. Money is also a nice reality check to keep the focus.

Good luck.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T Daley

I've taken Jim up on his hospitality to visit his collection and I must say that the card room is very impressive. While it may sound like a lot of plastic, what really knocks your socks off is the cards. Jim has done a lot of work in setting up the room and it shows. Between the binders and the graded cards, Jim's appreciation for the hobby really shines.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

GRRRRR!

Just kidding! That's one tough card, though. Scantlebury and Clyde "the dude" Parris are near the top of my want list. I do have a Bus Clarkson and more and more I'm convinced he's a HOFer and the circumstances of the times he played in have camouflaged his career.

Joe:

Thanks for the kind words. There's 6 or 7 of us who always seem to be gunning for the Latin stuff--I feel like I'm in an unofficial club. I've calmed down a bit since I've narrowed my focus but I'm still amazed by just how many different Cuban issues there are. They must have been baseball mad in Cuba in the 1940's. I should probaby wait until I have all the integration era cards I need before hyping these guys, but what the hell. The earth isn't going to swallow me up if I don't get every card I want. Will it?

--Chad

Old 07-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Jim,

I dont get the psa mag. that you mentioned. If you have it, would you consider scanning some of the pics and posting - I would actually like to see the set up - sounds pretty nice.

PS - sorry Chad - dont mean to hijack this thread.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

JK,

Its called the Sportscard Market Report--I don't know how to scan--you could check psacard.com.

Jim

Old 07-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Josh if noone else gets it scanned in I may be able to do so tomorrow.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Most of us who are married have wives who don't appreciate our hobby and definitely don't appreciate the space it takes up or how it looks in that space. Nothing personal was meant.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron C

Jim,
Which month and year SMR are the pictures in?

Old 07-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Here are steps to see article.

1)Go to psacard.com
2)click Sportscard Market Report(SMR)
3)Click Back Issues
4)Click November 2006
5)Click "The Massive Breadth of the Jim Crandell Collection"

Pictures are not larege but it will give you a sense.

Jim

Old 07-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

Guys like Kenny, Matt, you and a few others are members.

You mention something about all those Cuban issue's during the forties, and you're right, they were baseball mad, but I have to remind myself, that they were into baseball almost as long as the Norte Americanos.
I'm looking at a program of the 1871 Troy Haymakers.
One of the earliest professional teams in baseball.
In the line up I see Esteban Bellan at 3B, one of the earliest professional Cuban ballplayers, if not the first.
When he went back to Cuba he helped spread the word of baseball, like if it was the gospel.
Cubans have long been integrated into baseball with a fiery passion.

Many years ago, one of the funniest commentary by a sports writer, and I can't remember his name, was:

"Can you imagine what it would be like, If Cubans took up ice hockey, and had weapon like hockey sticks in their hands?

When I first read that ..... it sent shivers all through my body.

Chad, go after whatever card you want.

It's precisely that kind of Madness that makes you a member of that Unofficial Club.

Jose (the mad)

Old 07-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I guess I'm one of the lucky few who has a wife that doesn't mind baseball stuff being displayed. I've got it all over the house and I'm constantly rearranging. However I may soon be taking some of the displays down as I am really intent on focusing my collecting goals.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Dan,

Congratulations on such an understanding wife. Keep her happy!

Jim,

That's an impressive collection, let us know how it progresses. On the idea of a Collector's Association, the trick would be to get MLB to sponsor the association, that would give it legitimacy among hobbyists.

Peter C.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Josh, Here is a link to the PSA magazine article.

http://www.psacard.com/smrweb/backissues/smr1106/crandell.chtml

This thread is great and shows that there are so many different ways in which to go about collecting. On one hand, Joe and Chad are talking about doing research on Latin players and a genre of cards that people have very little information. On the other hand, Jim is talking about 24,000 PSA slabs. We have collectors making almost opposite recommendations, but it seems everyone enjoys whatever they collect.