NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2009, 12:50 AM
De.rek Pul.atie

Default Whats the story on grading when there is paper loss?

I have this cobb as yall helped me out earlier. It has paper loss on the back and has decent corners with no creases. I know its not a 1 or higher, But how do they grade paper loss? Could this be a 1.5 SGC? Or is it just right? And my question was brought up because of this card just sold at SCP auctions. It looks almost like they were pulled from the same binder whenever that was. Is it because the paper loss is only on the side?
Thoughts?
http://www.scpauctions.com/scpauctio...m?Lot_ID=16819

Mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910 Cobb PSA Back.jpg (67.5 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg 1910 Cobb PSA 1 Front.jpg (77.4 KB, 355 views)
Old 07-30-2009, 03:44 AM
Bobby Binder

From what I have read in the past PSA is much tougher on paper loss then SGC.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:33 AM
Scott

I had a Cobb a few years ago, a Caramel card, w fairly nice corners and centering and no creases, but it did have some paper loss on front, and got a PSA 1, which I didnt think it deserved. Their standards are difficult indeed.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:51 AM
Lance G.

I will disagree with PSA being tougher on paper loss. I purchased an M116 sight unseen in a PSA 3. Paper loss was the only thing I didn't expect. SGC will grade paper loss up to a 30/2. Though the seller chose not to mention the paper loss, I still blame PSA for the misrepresentation. The grade goes against all of their self-acclaimed standards. My speculation on the Cobb is that it probably would make it into a 20/1.5 with SGC. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2009, 06:21 AM

Default paper loss

It is a pretty card to look at. For a Cobb, the grade is sometimes irrelevant, when in less than pristine condition. I would be happy to own this one as it looks so nice. Not a request to purchase by the way. Enjoy the piece.
jim
Old 07-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyVCP View Post
From what I have read in the past PSA is much tougher on paper loss then SGC.
I believe the opposite to be true.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 AM
De.rek Pul.atie

But what about the card that I listed from SCPs auction. I brought this up because it graded a 2 and it has more than a small amount of paper loss on the back.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:48 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblove View Post
But what about the card that I listed from SCPs auction. I brought this up because it graded a 2 and it has more than a small amount of paper loss on the back.
No way SGC gives that card a 30/2.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Jon Canfield

I've seen SGC grade a nice card with paperloss a 40.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Michael C

Default paper loss

This is one of those things that drives me NUTS about grading.

See below:

a PSA 4

and an SGC 3 (back is centered and clean- no creases)
Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Barry Sloate

Michael- I believe in the case of the T205 Needham they simply missed the paper loss. I don't think that is an acceptable amount of loss for a VG-EX, but instead just sloppy grading. If the back were clean then it would accurately be a PSA 4.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Michael C

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Michael- I believe in the case of the T205 Needham they simply missed the paper loss. I don't think that is an acceptable amount of loss for a VG-EX, but instead just sloppy grading. If the back were clean then it would accurately be a PSA 4.
I guess.

I bought it on eBay with just a front scan and was pissed when it arrived.

But for those in this thread that says PSA is tough on paper loss......they weren't on this card.

Last edited by Mrc32; 07-30-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:07 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Not to bash SGC, since they are an exemplary grading company (of course, that was before the Mastro fiasco), but.................this one is not mine anymore; here is an example of a graded SGC card, receiving a Vg/Ex grade with a tiny bit of paper loss on the back (towards the bottom).

This one is not mine anymore as well, it resides in a SGC 70 holder (a tiny bit of paper loss on the back towards the top and middle).

For the record I prefer SGC, and as Barry mentioned, mistakes happen and in my book PSA has more then its fair share of misgraded cards.

Now, to get back to the original thread, if you send your Cobb card to get graded 100 times. In my opinion, the card will come back as a "ONE" 99 out of 100 times.

Lovely Day...
Old 07-30-2009, 09:54 AM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblove View Post
I have this cobb as yall helped me out earlier. It has paper loss on the back and has decent corners with no creases. I know its not a 1 or higher, But how do they grade paper loss? Could this be a 1.5 SGC? Or is it just right? And my question was brought up because of this card just sold at SCP auctions. It looks almost like they were pulled from the same binder whenever that was. Is it because the paper loss is only on the side?
Thoughts?
http://www.scpauctions.com/scpauctio...m?Lot_ID=16819

Mine
I don't think that SCP Cobb should be in a 2 holder it should be a 1 or 1.5 at the most.

For some reason if the paper loss is small enough SGC will give a grade as high as a 40 or 50. I have a Cracker Jack with a small spot on the white boarder that I had them review and they still said it was a 40.

On the Ritter, I wonder if it is paper loss or was never printed?

Lastly, where paper loss is does matter, ie if it is in a white area or if there is no text removed they will not hit it as hard.

Ironically I think they are very tough of paper loss on blank back cards.

James G
Old 07-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Banned

I have done dozens of cards with paper loss for customers and dealers- SGC is the tougher on paper loss per my clients, thanksT
Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Jason Berry

Needham is overgraded in the above case. PSA is wildly inconsistent when it comes to paper loss.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
For some reason if the paper loss is small enough SGC will give a grade as high as a 40 or 50.

For small paper loss on the back, I have seen cards graded SGC 40 or 50 as well.

The paperloss on the SCP Cobb card is pretty significant though and it probably should not grade higher than SGC 20 or 30.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:06 PM
De.rek Pul.atie

Thank you , Thats all I was trying to figure out. I wasnt saying mine is a 2. I believe it is a 1 and only a 1(with good apeal for a 1) Im going to say 1 1 more time and thats my #1 point(1 for you and 1 for me). Nothing higher. But with the auction I just saw I just wanted to get an idea of what they grade on. Thanks for all the examples. And it looks like a card can have paper loss and still be a 4.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:36 PM

As far as the cards in my collection which have great fronts and tiny paper loss on the back, SGC is far tougher than PSA. Just my experiences.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Barry Arnold

Default paper

with Bob, i have had very tough grading on paper loss from sgc.
in fact, i've been shocked again and again when what i thought were 40's and 50's come back 20's with very small paper loss.

best,
barry
Old 07-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I agree with the consensus here: PSA sometimes goes very easy on paper loss, especially when compared with SGC. I've seen a PSA 6 card with paper loss on the back.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:57 PM
Bradley Holt

Default Who's in kahoots

How many graders does it take to grade a card if there all following the same company standers..? hmm

Let take a closer look at the high volume submitters
Old 08-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Eric Bea.chley

I've been accused of being a PSA hater because I was burned by them. Actually, this was part of my only submittal to them. How could I not love the fact that I deserved and got a 4 because of the corners and stains.
Nevermind the off-center and the paperloss across the chest.

Last edited by egbeachley; 08-08-2009 at 03:51 PM.