NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Default What set is the most addictive to collectors?

Posted By: tbob

I vote for the T207 set. A lot of hobbyists stay clear for various reasons, but once you start collecting it you'll see it is the Hotel California of card sets, you can check in but you can never leave (until you finish it).

Old 04-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

if you are an avid collector any set you start you never stop till it's done. usually people like us can't just stay with one set!then there is upgrades,i hate upgrades!

Old 04-16-2005, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Yoken

I know this is a pre-war forum, but I have to say my favorite set is the 1957 Topps set, and mine is 5 cards from being finished (all in very nice shape to boot). I am partial to this set because this was the fist year of Topps using real photography (and some great shots at that!!!) and the last year of shots taken of the players at Ebbetts Field and the Polo Grounds. The golden age when the Dodgers were still Brooklyn and the Giants were still in New York....

Old 04-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

putting that one in the mail!

I think there has to be a set per era. But where to start?

I have never heard so much talk anywhere about anything as I have about E cards on this board! Not one special set---ALL of them!

Then there are the type collectors, like Ben and Leon--you never saw it before--you gotta have it!

It would be silly to list my favorite sets--the ones I'm always after-because someone else would just say no, it's some others...I'd go 19tyh century, almost every time...almost.

Boy, i sure get carried away...

Old 04-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

What set does that round one in the middle row come from?

Old 04-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff O

Obaks seem so easy when you start the set... especially the 1910 series. No "stars" to worry about, only Peckinpaugh and Weaver in the 1911s... but then they turn out to be impossible to find!

Don't even get me started on Zeenuts...

Jeff
http://www.seattlehockey.net

Old 04-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I'm convinced that the most addictive set is the Old Judge set(possibly because I am way past help). I know of no other set where you can get hooked in by acquiring some relatively common cards, make some good progress, and then slowely realize that, no matter how you define completion, you're not getting there. Completion is like an asymptote, you can approach it but never achieve it. Even if someone were to achieve completion under some very loose definition there would always be another level of completion to go after---by player ex California League, by player, by team, by pose, etc...

Old 04-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

I think that the Old Judge's and Zeenuts are worse than an asymptotic limit because as you approach the asymptote, it keeps moving - not fair. So I'll stick to T204's although there are still those pesky upgrades and TTT's to worry about.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Try finishing a type card set? Try defining one? .....and away I go....

Old 04-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Administrator

J.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

If I had the money, I'd go after a e90-1 set. Probably just a touch less frustrating than the t207 set.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

I've collected cards from several pre-war sets over the years but none come remotely close to my Old Judge addiction. Even when picking an "easier" subset from within the Goliath, it can seem impossible. If you're patient and a bit lucky, you might have a chance to complete it (a subset). For me, I think there is a link between difficulty & addiction / enjoyment of collecting.

Joe Gonsowski

Old 04-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Old Judges are definitely the most addictive,ive collected them by team,by player,by team type card,just bought cool poses.Theres so many great players in the set,and so many great poses.Its also impossible to finish a full set so you will never run out of something to collect from it.Finding certain poses or variations after a long search is also real enjoyable and gives you hope that the others are out there somewhere

Old 04-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

That a type collection of any sort is a never ending challenge.

As I have stated before I collect a card or an item related to my alma-mater. I'm fairly intense so I include the sister school and the grad schools just to expand the scope (and the drop outs)

In the past year I have discovered that I need items of the following people (These are example -- believe it or not, there is more)

Alicia Keys (Pop Singer), Walter O'Malley, Robert Kraft (owner of the New England Patriots).

I also collect items relating to my b-day. Among those I need items of on that level is Dan Topping (ex-owner of the New York Yankees)

What makes it fun also makes it hard as I keep discovering new items and it is a never ending process.

Old 04-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Julie,

Is that a 1888 Old Judge 'Round Album' of John Ward?

If so, I think this board has given me 'quite the complimentary education' over the long haul of things.

And I think OJ's are sooooo frikkin addicting and so frikkin expensive. I'm on a consecutive streak of purchasing the cards where the players are all 'fallen over' or 'not upright'. $800 so far on the Ward in REA...hmmm.

DJ

Old 04-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I have five T-205's that I don't like, but I keep around in case I start completing that set.

Old 04-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Here's another:

There're 3 more on my website: http//www.julievognar.com/home

But they aren't as nice--I thought it was 1889?

I have to go along with the Old Judge--but just because you see 3-4 posts here saying that doesn't mean everyone agrees--not by a long shot!

Old 04-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

how can you not love these cards? Haunting, moody, surrealistic....

Old 04-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

considered finest photography. But I know this is not what you meant Bob.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Administrator

is great...

Old 04-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

That card looks great with a Cycle back! I had two Broadleaf Lowdermilks and an Anonymous, but NEVER a Cycle.

As for me, the Croft's Cocoa set is very addictive. I started out collecting all the E92's and E101, but am slowly selling off all but the Cocoas. Partly, b/c I want enough jingle to win Cocoas I need when they come up for sale, as they are outrageous these days - just cannot afford to collect all the E92 and E101 issues at today's prices. Although, it would be a rather impressive display if someone had all the E92 issues and the E101 set complete!

Old 04-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Although I do not collect baseball cards by sets. it sure seems apparent to me that the most widely and fervently collected set it the t206.

It is interesting that none of those addicts have yet stood up and stated "Hi, I am ..... and I collect t206s".

It really is not anything to be ashamed of. Heck, for the most part the set is affordable and available. It also has several variations in colors, backs and other features. The only problem I ever saw with it is that I was never able to understand why some subsets are included in t206 while others are excluded. But Im sure those who are involved, understand the reasons for the scope definitions.

But I agree with Jay, Joe and others: OJs are a place I could become lost in. Fortunately for me, they cost too much for any significant involvement. But I do have a few subsets going that interest me.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: drew

i agree with tbob about the t207 set being the most addictive
i started out just wanting to collect all of
the philadelphia players when i had collected just nine of them i wanted to go for the complete set of t207s almost fours years later i had completed the whole set......what a great set......so i have checked out of the hotel california but i always go back for a peak at the cards....

Drew