NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-11-2017, 10:18 AM
D@le Irv*n

Default Killing large ant hills on lawns?

I have 2 large ant hills on my lawn and I am looking for a natural way to kill/eradicate*them. Unfortunately, we can longer use pest killer/fertilizer mix up here where I live so I am wondering what others have used, naturally, to kill them?

I watch a few youtube vids and some say boiling water, Dawn dish soap, Borax, vinegar or simply drown them with a garden hose.

I assume most of you guys south of me in the U.S. can use pesticides but I am wondering, besides those, what else you have used that works?

Thanks.*
Old 06-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Might I suggest one of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 154061-004-4126DACE.jpg (57.0 KB, 239 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Al Wright

Better on the lawn than in the house! I've had good luck with baits of corn syrup and borax. Don't mix them myself though, all the home center/hardware stores sell them. They work in a delayed fashion. The corn syrup attracts the ants, they eat it, bring it back to the nest, the traps get swarmed by the rest following the pheromone trails, and then the borax disables their intestinal track and they die. It's pretty simple if you just follow the instructions. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Ben North

I use ground (cayenne) red pepper. Just generously sprinkle it on and around the ant hills. They will leave.

If you have pets keep them away from that area because it will burn their paws.

EDIT: This also works great if you have them in your house. Heavily sprinkle it around the entire foundation of your house on the outside for a barrier.

Last edited by bnorth; 06-11-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:12 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Might I suggest one of these.
LOL, Peter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post
Better on the lawn than in the house! I've had good luck with baits of corn syrup and borax. Don't mix them myself though, all the home center/hardware stores sell them. They work in a delayed fashion. The corn syrup attracts the ants, they eat it, bring it back to the nest, the traps get swarmed by the rest following the pheromone trails, and then the borax disables their intestinal track and they die. It's pretty simple if you just follow the instructions. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I use ground (cayenne) red pepper. Just generously sprinkle it on and around the ant hills. They will leave.

If you have pets keep them away from that area because it will burn their paws.

EDIT: This also works great if you have them in your house. Heavily sprinkle it around the entire foundation of your house on the outside for a barrier.
I just purchased these at our local CDN Tire store as they were suggested to me from a couple guys on a snowmobile forum I belong to. Supposedly, these are the best? They have only been available in Canada a few years but are suppose to work better than anything else we have been able to get in the past? Time will tell?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/te...-0598829p.html

Thanks guys!

NEWS RELEASE

Media Contact

Carolyn Schinsky / Ryan PR / 314- 822-9784 / carolyn@ryan-pr.com

Arm Yourself Against Ant Invasions — The Best Ant Control Is Now in Canada

TERRO® Liquid Ant Baits Provide Effective, Long-term Ant Control, Both Indoors and Outdoors.

Brampton, On, Canada— June 27, 2013— It’s a fact of life. No homeowner is immune to the problem of ants. Whether they’re parading across your kitchen counter or ruining your backyard barbecue, ants are an unwelcome house guest. Now, there is a new, effective way to control ant invasions. TERRO® , the top selling brand of DIY ant baits in the United States for more than 90 years, was recently introduced to the Canadian marketplace. For long-term ant control, Canada now has access to TERRO® for controlling unwanted armies of ants with their line of indoor and outdoor liquid ant baits.

For more information on where to purchase TERRO® liquid ant bait products throughout Canada, click below:

Shop TERRO® Canada

“For effective, long-term control of common household ants, the first step is baiting the worker ants – the ants you see marching around inside your house – with TERRO® Liquid Ant Baits,” advises Stew Clark, Director of Research at TERRO®. “As the worker ants forage for food, they are drawn to the sweet liquid in the pre-filled ant bait stations. The ants enter the trap, consume the bait, and then return to the nest where they pass on the bait to the rest of the colony. Baiting is the only way to get rid of the ants you see and the thousands you don’t.”

The active ingredient in TERRO® ant bait products is formulated to kill the worker ant in two to three days. This gives the foraging ants enough time to get back to the colony and share the deadly bait with the rest of the ants, including the queen.

When using any TERRO® ant bait product, you’re initially going to see a lot more ants,” warns Clark. “When the foraging ants find the bait, they consume it and drop what is called a ‘trail pheromone’ back to the nest. The trail lets all the other worker ants know where the food supply is and they make a beeline for it. This explains the surge in ants when first placing the ant bait in and around your home. But be patient — in a day or two the ants will be nothing but a distant memory.”

Since most indoor ant infestations are linked to a colony outside, Clark also recommends setting up outdoor home barriers. “Treating the perimeter of your house with a TERRO® ant bait product provides an added line of defense against unwanted insects entering your home,” explains Clark.

Like all TERRO® ant bait products, TERRO® Outdoor Liquid Ant Baits provide fast-acting elimination of the queen and entire colony of Canadian ants. To use, simply place the convenient, ready-to-use liquid ant bait stations outdoors in areas where ants are observed, and secure the stations with the stakes provided. The durable, weather-resistant bait stations prevent the liquid bait from drying out, providing the ants with a continuous supply of food, day and night.

“The key to successfully using any TERRO® ant bait product is to make sure the ants find the bait, eat it and take it back to the nest to feed to the rest of the colony,” says Clark. “Be sure to eliminate all other food sources in the area. This will ensure the ants aren’t tempted to eat anything but the bait.”

For more information on where to purchase TERRO® liquid ant bait products throughout Canada, visit http://www.woodstreambrands.ca/store/terro.

About TERRO

TERRO® is an industry leader in ant and pest control and has been a trusted brand for more than 90 years. Based in Lititz, PA, the company offers proven ant and pest control products including liquid ant baits, aerosol sprays, perimeter granules and ant dust products. TERRO® products are widely distributed at all leading hardware, home center, mass merchant, food and drug, farm and fleet, and independent garden center retailers nationwide. For more information on TERRO® products, call 1-800-800-1819 or visit www.terro.com, www.facebook.com/TerroDeadAnts or www.twitter.com/TerroDeadAnts.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:31 PM
Ben North

Terro is a joke and does not work. At least in my experience. We tried it with no luck before we used the red pepper that did work great.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:54 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Terro is a joke and does not work. At least in my experience. We tried it with no luck before we used the red pepper that did work great.
I hope you're wrong, Ben. These hills seem to be getting bigger by the day so I need something to get rid of them now.

I did see some vids using Borax and Corn Syrup, so that will be my next attempt if these don't do the trick?
Old 06-16-2017, 06:55 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

And I'm fascinated by this thread...wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:30 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I just use what is sold at the hardware store with mixed results. Sometimes it seems that I just chase the fire ants around my yard.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That was my problem BEFORE gasoline. It seemed they didn't mind what I was putting on them and just kept going at the same beds I tried the ant-killer on. Since gasoline I have had 100% and immediate success.....and a few brown spots of grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
I just use what is sold at the hardware store with mixed results. Sometimes it seems that I just chase the fire ants around my yard.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:03 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
We can't get anything like that in the Nanny province I live in!

Not to get political, but I can't even purchase weed n feed for the lawn, but golf courses and farmers are still allowed to use it or course!

Last edited by irv; 06-23-2017 at 10:21 AM.