NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 12-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Tyler

Default 1954 Bowman and 1955 Bowman

First post here at Net54. Over the holidays, as a gift, my Aunt gave me a random box of some of my late Uncles football cards. It was mostly 1954 and 1955 Bowman football, with some other random 1958 and 1959 singles as well. There are 438 cards total, with several duplicates as well. I had a chance to thumb through some of the cards. I looked online for a few names I should look for, and pulled the rest of the ones I recognized as well. Overall there were 31 cards of Hall of Famers.

I honestly didn't recognize but a few names at first. As I hadn't really collected Vintage before. But after spending some time over the last few days, I've finally got a grasp on what all is there.

1954 Bowman- I was able to put together an entire set, minus 3 cards. Also had 111 extra/duplicate cards, including several HOF/Star cards. I'm 44 cards short of having a complete 2nd set as well. The 3 cards I'm missing for the 1st complete set are listed below....

55- Frank Gifford
74- warren Lahr
115- Al Carmichael

1955 Bowman- I really like the looks of these cards. And most of the 55's I have are in REALLY good shape. Much more so than the 54's. I have quite a few more missing to complete my set, but all of the key cards are there. Jim Ringo, Tom Landry, John H Johnson, Bob St. Clair etc....

1959 Topps- for some reason, the only 59' cards that he had,..were 5 team picture "Checklists"
Green Bay Packers
Los Angeles Rams
Philadelphia Eagles
Chicago Cardinals
Pittsburgh Steelers

Either way, I think I'm going to spend the time to sell/trade all of my duplicates and put those funds towards finishing the sets. Once they're finished, I will probably sell the rest of the duplicates in a lot, for others to finish their sets.

Just looking for overall opinions on what the stack might be worth, and if they are desirable in today's market. From the searches I've done, 1954 and 1955 bowman don't seem to be very desirable/collectible. (Or atleast, don't seem to be discussed very often.) I just don't want to make the investment in picking up singles to complete these sets, of they aren't going to be desirable at the end of the day. Thanks in advance, and I'm open to any opinions and/or comments.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:47 PM
Mike Dugan

These look great and what fun to go through! They have more value than you think and both sets are growing in popularity right now.

Congratulations and have fun with them!
Old 12-28-2015, 03:29 PM
Sam Lemoine

I'm working on both of these sets. Just from what I am seeing, you probably have $800-1200 worth of cards there. Not a bad gift at all.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:03 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Your Uncle had a nice collection! Enjoy them!
Larry
Old 12-29-2015, 05:28 AM
Jeff P

Great find! These were the first two Bowman sets I completed and so are near and dear to my heart.

Have fun putting them together.

jeff
Old 01-01-2016, 08:32 PM
Kin K.

That is so awesome, congratulations! I've long dreamed something like this would happen to me, but alas...