NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Matt

I enjoy looking at any card a collector is excited to own; I have learned tons and been put onto cards that became favorites that way. To dismiss what another collector likes is to limit one's own potential knowledge and darken one's own collecting horizons.

That's why I was always amazed at how, on the CU boards, some would inevitably hate and spew bile (cloaked envy) whenever guys shared their pickups or collections-- seeing others' cards and dialoguing about them at best turns us onto new cards we want, and at worst expands our knowledge or makes a new friend.

I do agree: it is very challenging, fun, and deeply rewardingto have to hunt down an affordable low-grade examplewith eye appeal, as compared to having bottomless pockets that make every grade a possibility. But then again-- with a mere ten 52T Mantles grading MT or better, even a billionaire will have a challenging time finding the one he wants and reeling it in. Especially since there are more super rich guys who want the card than there are cards out there.

Personally, I always face palm when I see a fellow collector pony up for a grade over eye appeal, but ultimately-- if when a guy's balls are being royally broken by life, wife, work, money, health, etc., if looking at his cards makes it all melt away for a while, if the cards take him to a place of pure enjoyment and unbroken balls, that's what it's all about.

I guess what I'm saying is:

Cards mending balls = awesome.
Card collectors acting like catty broads = lame.

Last edited by MattyC; 08-05-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:50 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

It seems to me that Mr Kendrick as a collector is being questioned simply due what items in his collection PSA had on display. Does anyone know that Mr Kendrick does not have any rarer, less mainstream issues in his collection that may be in lower condition? It wouldn't really surprise me if he did have some other items that aren't as popular or well known. I also wouldn't be too surprised if PSA asked him specifically for those cards. After all, for PSA's purposes they would want the highest graded items. It would not make much of a display to have a poor condition 52 Mantle or an authentic CJ set on display.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 08-05-2013, 03:12 PM

No one starts out collecting high grade cards and no one finds out about the cards Kendrick has without being a collector. Even if you only casually knew what a 52 Topps Mantle is, you would have to be a collector to know anything about PSA, slabbing, or grading scales. I don't see how anyone could say otherwise. Ask a wealthy guy walking down the street what SGC is and see if they can tell you.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:19 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Conor will take it from you and give you a fetish badge to replace it.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
He was just collecting numbers, not cards.
And why would that bother anyone even if they did? It's their money. Heck they could buy the cards, crack them, throw the card away and keep the empty holder and flip and collect those, who cares?

Last edited by Leon; 08-05-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
And why would that bother anyone even if they did? It's their money. Heck they could buy the cards, crack them, throw the card away and keep the empty holder and flip and collect those, who cares?
+1

Well said Leon.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 08-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
I would care if someone was throwing away mint condition 52T Mantle cards.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e107collector View Post
Also, did anyone notice any E-107 HOFer's at any tables coming up for auction, or for sale?

Tony
A board member here had an E107 Plank for sale.
JimB
Old 08-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I would care if someone was throwing away mint condition 52T Mantle cards.
If they own it then they can do what they want. I wouldn't really like it because it would be destroying part of history.....but it would be their call. (and I was just saying, really, who cares how others collect?)
Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
If they own it then they can do what they want. I wouldn't really like it because it would be destroying part of history.....but it would be their call. (and I was just saying, really, who cares how others collect?)
I hear ya...I should have put a smiley on the end of my post.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 PM

Regarding Ken Kendricks collection, it is incredible imho and was a lot of fun to look at. I appreciate that he shared it with other collectors last week.

Folks on here questioning whether or not he is a "real" collector..... YAWN. Just because his collection is more valuable that 99% of ours means his status as a collector is under suspicion??? Seems silly to me. But my guess is this sort of thing will continue to come up about every six months.
JimB
Old 08-05-2013, 05:16 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I find it strange that people are dissing Ken Kendrick's collection, simply because of his financial status.

Are men like Marshall Fogel, Don Spence, Steve Solloway and John Branca any less of a collector since they can/could afford to buy any card they wanted?

They all seem to share the same love for Baseball that we all claim to have. Seems to me they should all be considered just as much of a collector as any one of us.

Steve
Old 08-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Matt Hall

Real collectors collect raw beaters.

I agree with Jim, it's nice of Kendrick to display his collection at the national. I would have checked it out if I were there. I'm surprised there are no photos of what was at the Goldin Auctions booth, I'm excited to see images of what they have when they surface.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Jeff

"He can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me........."

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post

HA! Nice!

(and kudos to Wonka for the inspiration )

Last edited by CW; 08-05-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:59 PM

Default 2013 National

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
So if a collector prefers a 52 Mantle or the like to a CJ Pratt or other rare, relative common, then he's not a "collector?" Says who-- maybe I missed the memo that specified what cards constitute a collection over a mere portfolio.

If I track down a Frederick Foto Ruth I guess I'm a collector-- but if I add a PSA 9 Schmidt or PSA 10 Brett, where do I go to forfeit my collector badge?

Some guys like both cards that are tough in any grade and cards that are just pricey in higher grade. Some guys enjoy spending money on a common player that other guys would have trashed right out of the pack. Some guys collect plastic holders and grades and don't compare the cards within said holders, just choosing the uglier yet higher graded specimen. Some guys will only buy from one TPG and blind themselves to great cards. Some collect to compete with other collectors over arbitrary GPAs of sets on a website. Some like to buy unopened. Some like freakish errors even if the player featured was a scrub. Some just like the most popular images of the most accomplished players ever.

Some of that seems very silly and foolish to me, some is the way I go, but I say live (collect) and let live (collect). If a guy is happy no need to rain on any parades. Almost always, there will be others out there somewhere who likes what another guy likes, so there will be a group of some size to appreciate any card and make a market for it.

Above all I'd hazard the opinion that collectors of cards-- no matter what cards-- have more in common than not, and should therefore be collegial toward one another as opposed to catty (like chicks). Reminds me of how silly it seems when sports fans of rival teams pummel each other in a brawl; meanwhile these combatants are probably both passionate fans of their sport, and would likely help each other if caught in some crisis. But perhaps that's the human condition, to look for reasons to divide rather than come together.

Hence my constant, raging misanthropy
Matt,

Couldn't help but notice your continued obsession with the Frederick Foto Ruth...call me when you're ready to pull the trigger....LOL!!!!!

Joe T.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Al

What a great week.

It was awesome to see so many of the Net54 crew, both at the dinner and "out and about" during the evenings, as well as at the show. I met a few of you for the first time, which is always great, and it was awesome (as always) to see the "regulars" throughout the course of the week. Thanks to all those who stopped by the Love Of The Game/Cubanbaseballcards.com booths during the week.

Five highlights, for me:

1) A middle-aged woman from Chicago, who walked into the show with a pretty significant team-signed baseball that had been in her family for years. She was beside herself when she learned that it had been authenticated. Her happiness was awesome.

2) My friend Abe brought his son to the show, a really intelligent pre-teen who could barely mask his excitement over some Mickey Mantle and Pete Maravich cards he'd bought with his own money. Great to see kids buying cards.

3) A fellow collector who grew up in Brooklyn and is filled with fantastic stories spent about an hour in our booth, just talking. He drew a small crowd with his stories (as he usually does). I could sit and listen to him all day, telling stories about the Brooklyn Dodgers, and specifically Jackie Robinson.

4) A really nice panoramic illustration of the White Sox (maybe 1916? can't recall the date) from the Stephen Wong Collection on display at the MEARS booth.

5) Meeting Tom and Ellen Zappalla, who were gracious and professional, and happy over the publication of their Cracker Jack book, which looks fantastic.

Overall a fantastic show, can't wait to get to Cleveland next year (did I actually just write that!).

-Al
Old 08-05-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Also, most of us that have been collecting for 10+ years have collections that can't just be bought. It takes time, energy AND money. I doubt anyone, with any size pocketbook, could go out and buy Wonkas (hi John) collection by just writing a check, unless he is willing to sell it. And I am quite sure they couldn't buy a collection like mine either, if I wasn't selling it.
You make a great point, Leon, about having a long-term collection and the time and effort that goes into it. How can you put a price on that? In terms of enjoyment, it's priceless. We all have many "kills" in our collection, and the trophies to go with them, but the "hunts" make it all worthwhile. Maybe that's where the true value of our collections lie, regardless of the amount of money we spend. (the friends we meet are a pretty nice bonus, too)

OK, getting a little too deep here. Can we somehow achieve collecting nirvana? <-- that's what you look like when you achieve nirvana.

Last edited by CW; 08-05-2013 at 07:52 PM.