NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-28-2008, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Default Sam Crawford store model bat questions

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I recently acquired the Sam Crawford Spalding autograph bat (34-35 inches long) depicted below and I had a few questions regarding it and other vintage bats that I was hoping the forum might be able to help me with:
1. Does the heavy use of electrical tape typically indicate a crack in that area? I ask about this because I googled the bat before postying here and I saw one in better shpae then this one sell at Heritage in Jan 2007. That one has a crack that is mentioned in the description as being repaired with nails and covered with electric tape.
2. Compared with other similar vintage bats, how does the condition match up (e.g. is it average, below average, or above)? Please note that part of the knob is missing.
3. Is it wise to remove the electrical tape? Or at least small amounts to detect any cracks prior to selling it?
4. The one I saw in Heritage was listed as pre 1920. I think Crawford last played in 1917 (although store model bats could have been issued after his playing days). Can anyone provide a more precise date approximation?
5. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Old 10-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Harrell

I'm not sure that you can pinpoint the exact year of issue because, as you pointed out, it was common to issue signature bats after a player retired. 1915-1920 would be a good range. The only way, short of X-ray, to determine if the bat is cracked, short of removing the tape, is to gently tap the knob end on a firm surface (carpet is good) and feel for vibration. If the tape appears to be old, I would leave it. My guess is that the bat is cracked, given how far up the barrel it extends. Can you feel any nail heads under the tape or irregularities in the handle?

A missing chunk of knob will lower the grade of the bat a couple of notches but, according to bat repairmen, is among the easiest faults to repair. A repaired knob, if well done, will not negatively affect the grade of the bat and could significantly increase its value.

John

Old 10-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

1. Probably cracked. When taped for grip, they usually don't go that far up the barrel.

2. The Grade is poor. Missing knobs and cracks are much harder on store model bats than gamers. Most collectors want store model bats as close to production condition as possible.

3. Don't remove the tape unless you are going to restore it. I have sent many bats over the years to Fred Lowman. He is an absolute magician with bat restoration and his prices are excellent. He is very honorable and I have never heard of an unhappy customer. Here is a link to his site.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/9158/batrepair.html

4. This bat is from the teens.

5. Sam Crawford bats aren't particularly rare or valuable. Probably $300-$400 in NM condition. Before you do anything, consider what you want to do with the bat. If you want to enjoy if for years and you don't like the condition, get it restored. If you plan of flipping it, you need to consider the cost of the bat plus cost of restoration before you do it. Fred will give you a ballpark, but charges based on time. If you do flip it, you need to disclose what has been restored. I've sold some very high end bats to advanced collectors and dealers over the years, and none balked at a bat from Fred and I didn't take a hit on price for any of them.

Good luck

Old 10-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I've never really looked for a Sam Crawford bat, but if I could find a near mint one for $300-400 I think I might add that to my wantlist.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Alan, I'd like to first say that's a nice bat regardless if it's cracked or the knob is chipped. Spalding bats can be some of the most beautiful and rare bats available. While Crawford model bats may not be rare compared to other Spalding endorsers, they're not abundant. I've only seen 20 in the twelve years of tracking Spalding bats. Crawford bats like yours were offered from 1912-1925. The Gold Medal versions were offered from 1910-1911.

My experience on taped bats is to always assume they are cracked. I've had bats that sounded ok when tapped on the floor but still turned out cracked.

Clint

Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

I bought a Reach World Series bat that was taped much like the Crawford. I too figured it was cracked. When I received it, the thing was just plain nasty. Black crud and rotten vintage tape. I figured I had no choice but to rip off the tape and give it a thorough cleaning. And I do mean thorough. Underneath was a beautiful piece of wood, no cracks or splits. I uncovered a decal on the barrel and the finish has the charred marks from the factory. I've since seen it in a Reach catalog, dating it to 1919 to 1921. The ones in the catalog had a ton of tape, so I'm pretty sure I tore off the original stuff. (It had to go). My point is, don't necessarily be afraid of tape. I think it may have been fairly common in the teens and twenties on some models.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

John, that's true, bats were available taped at the factory. I remember reading somewhere that an employee at Spalding invented a machine for taping bats.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
Thank you every one for your responses! I found it at a flea market this past Sunday for 10 dollars, so I think I will leave it as is and either keep it or trade it (I can't make up my mind). The funny thing about it is several other people had looked at the bat before I got to the booth, but no one wanted it because they did not know who Crawford was. Even though I arrived late, it was a very successful trip for me as I also purchased a Dimaggio (Wilson) and a Clemente store model bat (5 dollars each, but not the "correct" size) and an old McGregor glove (last name Collins, but I cannot yet make out a first name). Sorry for the ramble, but thank you again for all of your help!
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com