NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Default Beckett selling on ebay their graded cards, any issue?

Posted By: rand

i came across some cards on ebay and noticed they were beckett graded, then i noticed its becketts own ebay account. any issues with this "double dipping" approach. i looked over the cards and found them to be graded a bit high for the given card. any thoughts....

beckettmedia( 5501) is their ebay handle

Old 11-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

These are consignments, Beckett will also sell your SGC and PSA graded cards as well. They're not just slabbing there own stuff and selling it.

Even though the items are consignments some don't like the idea, But I personally have no problem with it.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

Hi Rand, there was a lengthy thread on this subject a couple of months ago. My personal opinion is that Beckett shouldn't be selling cards that they have graded.

Rick

Old 11-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

i have 2 issues with the auctions, 1. the grader is the seller and i feel the NM cards are over graded 2. i wouldn't mind as much if the auction started at a low bid so i could determine the value verse the starting bid at close or more than retail

Old 11-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

I don't have a big problem with it. I've seen more undergraded Beckett slabs than overgraded. And I've seen my share of overgraded SGC and PSA and GAI slabs too, not to mention raw sellers who might over/under grade also. Grading for the most part is not an exact science, as much as we might like to believe it is.

buy the card, not the holder

happy.gif
Rob

Old 11-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

I have recently noticed that Beckett has quite a few BIN auctions as well. Since they are a price guide company as well as grader now seller I was wondering if the prices they have the cards listed curious to know.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Rand,

Wasn't it you who brought this up the last time as well?

Old 11-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Bobby, I was curious to know if the Major problem with VCP sales data concerning BGS/BVG cards has been fixed?

I know you can't stand Beckett all that much since you're always bagging on them so there's little incentive for you to look into this but thought I would ask.

I brought it up on another forum but you never responded so maybe you can shed a little light on the subject here?

The problem is anytime a seller lists a card graded by Beckett and puts the subgrades in the title, the first subgrade listed ends up being the overall grade in which VCP records the data.

For instance lets take this auction title (a real auction by the way) "James Worthy 1986 fleer BGS 9.5-9-9-9" which is a overall grade of 9 mint, VCP has the sale of this card as a 9.5 gem mint leaving average sales prices very skewed under half the price this card actually brings in auction.

I would expect the services VCP provides to be accurate but just the other day I counted dozens upon dozens of faulty records concerning BGS sales due to this problem. Is there anyone who verifies data before putting it on the site?

Just curious as this seems to be a major problem imo.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

First of all I have never bashed BVG, I just think it is a serious conflict of interest for them to grade and sell cards at the same time. And if SGC or PSA did the same I would also call them out as well.

In regards to the problems with BVG at VCP in our price tracking we have starting checking closer all auction titles where the seller lists all the subgrades as to not make that mistake anymore. We are in the process of checking past records and correcting those errors and it is going to take some time.

David,

After this post I went to check the 1986 Fleer basketball set and checked every BVG graded card for the first 25. This is a very popular BVG graded set and after looking at about 300 image I did not find a single error in the grades. I did however find that #8 Jordan Fleer sticker did get mixed in and corrected it.

If you can please from the VCP website there is a "Report a problem" button on the bottom right of every page. When you find one tell me so I can look into it further and work out some corrections.

Thanks

Old 11-23-2008, 07:05 AM
Administrator

no, this is my 1rst time with this subject.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

I can understand why some people see a grading company selling cards they have graded as a bad thing. However I bought the card below from Becketmedia and feel I got the card at a fair price and that it was graded fairly.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Old 11-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Bobby, Since the price increase for VCP services I have let my service lapse. I only track a few sets closely right now..So unfortunatley I can't use the "report a problem" feature on your site..

But Hey if you want to offer me a Free usage of your site I'll find errors all day long concerning BGS price data and report them for you..

Hows that sound?

Old 11-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Administrator

i let my account lapse to. its expensive.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

If I sell a card on eBay I may well opine as to its grade or condition. I think a seller doing that is acceptable, generally.

For the major card graders, I think they should refrain from selling cards. Realistically, they have an incentive to overslab some card they're about to sell. We'd all like to think they wouldn't overgrade, and that is generally what I think of SGC, PSA, and Beckett. But realistically, why would they put themselves in a position where there would even be a question?

So no, a serious, conscientious card grading company should not also sell cards they'd graded. Kinda shoots the idea of third party grading all to Hell, there, doesn't it?

Old 11-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

when you grade cards for a fee and then sell them and open the auctions at ridiculus high prices you are inviting yourself to critisism.