NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Devon

Default Some assistance needed

I'm a complete novice, who happens to be in possession of a ball signed by a number of members of the Yankees: Gehrig, Ruffing, Combs, Rolfe, Hoag, Tommy Henrich, Johnny Murphy, and the immortal Frank Makosky (whose presence would seem to peg this as 1937). I contacted Heritage Auctions a few years back; as it was neither a highly desirable single Gehrig or a more complete team ball, they stated that its price at auction would be highly variable...it would effectively depend on whether the right buyer or buyers were found to take an interest.

The ball has been in my family since signed -- my great-great aunt worked at a Boston area hotel at that time, and it was supposedly signed during a September road trip -- and consequently it is not authenticated. Heritage didn't seem to raise any concerns in that regard, but I'd also imagine that is something they would address if taking the ball on consignment. I'm in something of a backwater in terms of proximity to places where I could have it authenticated (the Maritimes, in Canada), and am somewhat reticent to ship it off unless it's wholly necessary.

I'm curious what route those here would take if seeking a buyer. Get it authenticated, or are the signatures verifiable enough to sell as is? Submit it to an auction house, or try to find a private buyer (and precisely how one would suggest going about that)? I'm well aware that these are complex, open-ended questions, so any advice big or small is much appreciated.

A few pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0983.jpg (70.7 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0984.jpg (68.0 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0985.jpg (69.2 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0987.jpg (70.8 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0988.jpg (69.7 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0989.jpg (69.4 KB, 345 views)
Old 12-21-2017, 09:03 PM

Unofficial ball with Gehrig displaying as a sweet spot single. It's worth about $3K. Try to sell here for free.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:12 PM
Devon

Thanks for the quick reply. Out of curiosity, is it just a random baseball? It's the one element I've never been able to verify...the (now AA) Eastern League didn't come into being until 1938 from what I can tell, which doesn't overlap with Makosky's time as a playing member of the Yankees.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:38 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
Unofficial ball with Gehrig displaying as a sweet spot single. It's worth about $3K. Try to sell here for free.
I agree. If there was a signature near Gehrig I would say value of no more than $1,500. With the Gehrig able to display pretty much as a single it definitely adds desirability to the ball. Definitely authentic. There may be someone on Net54 who would pay decent enough money for you to forego the auction route. Worth a shot.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Banned

Default Prices vary

Prices do vary on balls. Especially the unofficial ones. The value here is the provenance I believe. I would recommend you sending to JSA for autograph authentication.

Then sell on here.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:51 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schad View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Out of curiosity, is it just a random baseball? It's the one element I've never been able to verify...the (now AA) Eastern League didn't come into being until 1938 from what I can tell, which doesn't overlap with Makosky's time as a playing member of the Yankees.

The Eastern League has been AA since 1963. Before that, it was Single-A from 1938 - 1962. It was also a Single-A league from 1916 - 1932, before being inactive from 1933 - 1937. It also had a couple of stretches going back to 1884.

Since it appears the ball was signed in 1937, the ball itself is probably from the 1920s - early 1930s, before the league had their five year hiatus from 1933 - 1937.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 12-25-2017, 05:20 PM
Banned

Default Bump

Bump
Old 12-26-2017, 07:08 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by deagleii View Post
Bump
why?