NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 08-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Default Question on Tiger Woods Card

Posted By: JimCrandell

I have an uncut sheet Sports Illustrated for Kids containing the 1996 Tiger Woods card which is in the middle.

Can anyone suggest if I should try to get this card out myself to submit for grading or if that is too risky(I have never done it) how best to do it?

Jim

Old 08-13-2007, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I don't know much about the modern issues....

but wouldn't an uncut panel be more appealing than a cut one?

whether just for your personal use or sale...
I would think the panel uncut is cooler.

jmho.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Administrator

JoeD,

I collect graded cards and would like to have it graded. I also think the value of a graded 9 is higher than the sheet would be and I know the 10 is.

Jim

Old 08-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

Jim,

The key is practicing. Get some other sheets and practice separating the cards. The other key with those sheets is the perforations. Only fold each side ONCE. Do not fold, then pull it back and redo what you did. If you only fold once it keeps the perforated tabs small.

-Kyle

Old 08-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Thanks Kyle,

Given the money involved if its a 10 in your opinion should I do it myself or find someone who has done it many times before?

Jim

Old 08-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

If the cards are perforated, couldn't you send the sheet into PSA and ask them to separate it for you? Is that better or worse?

Old 08-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Barry,

Pretty sure they would not do this.

Jim

Old 08-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Maybe not, but I was thinking if it went straight from the panel to the slab there would be no chance for damage. I guess they don't want the responsibility.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

It all depends on how high of a grade you want. Personally, I don't think getting a 10 is realistic, but you never know. I'd really consider going to your location book/drug store and pick up a few current issues with cards to try separating. You want want to do it with the sheet flat on a hard surface, bending at the edges of the table. I've separated one sheet in my life, over 6 years ago when the madness struck. I over bent the perforation and the edges looked awful. It graded a BGS 5.5 I believe and sold for about $600. Oh back in the day.

-Kyle

Old 08-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I had the exact same dilema a few years ago. I was afraid to perforate/separate it, so I just left it alone. I have since sold it.

Alan

Old 08-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Alan,

Do you remember what you sold the sheet for?

Jim

Old 08-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Jim -

I consigned it to Huggins & Scott auctions a few years ago in their very 1st catalog auction when they were just getting started. I believe it went for only $125 or so. There was a small crease in the middle of the card which really hurt the price. Still, I was somewhat disappointed because a few years before that I understand the sheet (even with a small crease) went for much, much more.

Alan

Old 08-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Hey Jim,

How about you just grow a pair ... and yank the stupid thing off, already?!

Actually Jim, and you may already know this ... besides the perfs, the biggest reason a lot of them don't grade ultra high is because of the amount of yellow (gold?) that shows up on the border of the Tiger card after you rip them apart. Look closely around the sides of the card to see if any of the other cards colors would end up on your Tiger card after it's seperated. I'm pretty sure they max the grades out around SGC/PSA 8 if that happens. I have an SGC 86 that is pretty sharp, but it has a faint yellow line on the right hand side.

Also, I recently seperated a few sheets of the 1964 Wheaties football stamps. I used a thin metal drafting ruler as a guide. I folded them up once, down once, and then pulled up against the rulers sharp edge to tear them apart. I got about 60% PSA 8's, 20% 9's and two PSA 10's. I also got a few 6's, but that was because of bends in the thin stock. (two of which I'm 100% sure weren't there when I submitted them!) ;-(

Anyway, I hope that info can help you out a little. Good luck with the rrrrip!

Mike

Old 08-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Mike,

Taking up golf card collecting as a sidelight to football cards?--I knew there was a strategy there somewhere.

Lets get things going on the football board!

Jim

Old 08-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

you can't take an exacto or something like that to the perfs?

Not jazzed about that whole SI for kids thing. Seems like the grading companies have such weird rules for those.............or other perfed cards.